1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good Careers to get into?

Discussion in 'General' started by JCP636, Jan 6, 2018.

1. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

That's what I thought too. And I still don't know other that what he told me. My customer is a straight up dude that has had a nursery outlet store in Blowing Rock for a long time, hard working guy.

2. burnham

burnham Well-Known Member

It's a great trade that I'm really thankful to be involved with. In the last four years I've gone places for work I never would have gone otherwise, and was paid to do it.
    I'm home now, damaged from crashing out of a race last Friday, and still have a paycheck. For someone who's always worked construction, I feel like I hit the lottery. Daily.

pscook likes this.
  3. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

nah, too easy

4. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I dream of selling this place daily. But I'm not good at anything else. Tell the truth, I'm not good at this either. About the only thing I've been commended on is cunnilingus. I need to get good at lottery. :D

[​IMG]

5. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

net income, including tips - it might be possible...

but i agree that kite boarding seems pretty niche, seasonal, and weather-dependent even in-season.

my brother guides climbing trips up Mt Rainier. IF he could do that 40 hours a week, i think he would come closer to $100k than people expect. But no healthcare, 401k, etc.

He had Andrew Shue and his wife and kids on one of his trips last week. I assume those folks tip. (Said they were nice enough, but he liked their kids better than the parents. Coworker alerted him to who they were. They did not pull the “I was on Melrose Place” BS.)

6. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Not gonna lie ... I had to google who that was.

dtalbott likes this.
  7. auminer

That's a great pic.

How you get the pasture all smooth like that? My little 5 acre patch is rough as hell. Small rolling rises and falls as well as cloddy, cracky small bumps that beat the hell outta me on the riding mower. We just bought the place, and I'm probably going to die there. I'd like to get the surface really smooth so I don't die from blunt force trauma while mowing.

8. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Don't mow?....

9. auminer

You volunteering to come do it?

10. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Fence; goats; birria.

11. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

That's no pasture, it is tall fescue/kentucky blue grass blend sod for sale. It's in a river bottom, but for the most part, the smoothness comes from a Lely Power Harrow and a hydraulic box blade.
    [​IMG]

So rip it up and do over or live/die with it.

auminer likes this.
  12. auminer

I don't think this'll tug that...

Part of the 5 acres in question in the background.

[​IMG]

13. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Yep, it would be a stretch.

14. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Experience over education.
    I come across people with all kinds of degree especially, when it comes to scheduling.
    Typical requirements is knowing the software, Primavera P6.
    TiLoS is starting to make its mark but it is not well-known and not sure if it will catch up, on its second attempt but the demand is there.
    Again, do you know the software.

Project Controls, basically how well do you know Earned Value Management and are you comfortable, capable with excel.

Project Management, experience or PMI Certified or completed a college course.

The industry is not as critical but helpful, Oil&Gas (facilities or pipeline), and any other linear or vertical construction.
    I have not come across any software/development industry guys in my time.

jrsamples likes this.
  15. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

The land guys are first in, last out.
    So, they tend to make good money for longest period on any particular job.

I have seen good and bad guys and I have also seen the good and bad in the type of work but a paycheck is better than none.

As much as I benefit from the pay, I keep my eyes open for a good/solid opportunity back home (Miami).

16. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Good Lord that's beautiful!!

17. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

i couldn’t picture him either. I only recognized the name because his sister is the love interest in the original “karate kid” movie.

18. auminer

Care to modify that statement after 2020-2021?o_O

britx303 likes this.
  19. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

Real estate in Florida turned out to be a good idea…

noles19 and hotnail like this.
  20. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Was not a good time.

However, if you have a pulse I can use you for Hamilton Monday. And Tuesday and Wednesday and ...