1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica / Road America

Discussion in 'General' started by grasshopper, May 8, 2020.

1. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

Rocco is still smaller... maybe 3-4" or so. Last year, Dom also probably had at least foot on him as well.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Cool. I know Rocco has shot up some but haven't seen him in a few.

3. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

How is Rocco's tuck?

4. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

Though the kid is young, anyone think it's just flat out fatigue being that he is in two classes this year? Not much time to rest between warm up, qualifying, racing. He skipped his podium interview to get on the twins bike..

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't think so. Possibly too much time off the bike - which could go towards being tired, possibly bike prep to an extent, lots of little reasons but he's used to riding a lot more than that.

6. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

Maybe though he's been riding a ton on the West Coast with us. CVMA series at Chuckwalla and multiple TD's at Buttonwillow. I dig the kid, love how sincere he and his pops are.

track wagon likes this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I know that, he races with us out there too - however they were all shut down as well until a week or tow prior to these races. Stoney is cool, known him for probably 30 years at this point.

8. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

The 400 had brake issues day one and I thought the Suzuki just couldn't deal with the yamaha in the draft.

9. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

While I'm sure his size contributed, you can't take away just how good of a racer he is. He's not just fast but he's probably got some of the best race craft in the field. His approach last year seemed to be get out front and try to make a break. Sometimes he was able to but plenty of other times, he couldn't make the break. So he adapted. Instead of just pushing at the front the whole race and letting the competition learn from him, he'd sit back and often just let other riders pass him. Then he'd study them all race, test a move here and there and by the last lap have a game plan on where and how he'd get back in front and stay there til the checkers. His race craft is up there with some of the best pros already. Size definitely leveled the playing a little but I think he's likely still ahead of most others in terms of outright skill and the mental game. This weekend, he was just on a slower bike in both classes at the fastest track on the calendar.

Kolbe and Senna like this.
  10. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Dallas was too fuckin' big on the 400. Dude looked like a damn adult out there vs. the kids. He was able to keep Rocco honest quite a few times last year, which is pretty impressive given the size disparity.

Rocco has probably lost a little bit of his size advantage and it's making just enough of a difference. Definitely looked bigger on the bike next year.

henry_carlson likes this.
  11. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

His racecraft is solid. He shouldn't beat himself up too much over this weekend IMO. It's just not going to be as big of a walk in the park as he's had it in the past when he was tiny.

sbk1198, drop and henry_carlson like this.
  12. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

I honestly don't even think time off the bike hurt him. Both he and Dom were running faster laps than last year and Rocco and Kaleb were all over the lap record for twins as well by the end of the weekend. I think the other guys just found something in the offseason.

triplestrong and henry_carlson like this.
  13. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

Dallas was officially listed as 5'10" and 145lbs last year vs. Rocco's 5'4" and 108lbs. I'm 5'5" and I think that 5'4" was being generous. That's a big different. Dom is a little shorter than Dallas but not much.

I don't think anyone is discounting Rocco's skills. He's one of, if not the best "young gun" out there, but 30lbs+ and half a foot is A LOT, and that weight / height gap closed up a bunch as he gets older and matures.

Senna likes this.
  14. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

ECU was protested. It was clean, as is the rest of the bike. Inspect away.

jksoft and JJJerry like this.
  15. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

Not much

16. CR750

CR750 Well-Known Member

Josh Herrin looked totally spent when they did the post race interview. The BMW must have been a tough ride, wonder what the state of the electronics are on that bike?

418 likes this.
  17. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Josh lives in CA and they had some pretty strict SIP restrictions. He's probably just not as in shape as he'd normally be.

18. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

He just put a post on IG saying: "Id like to try and get an aftermarket swingarm for the bike to help us out a little with the tip in and finishing in the corner..." he also said he felt as if he was falling off of the back when he twisted the throttle.

CR750 likes this.
  19. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

Not sure about other states, but we have been back on track in California since May 8th. A week earlier for the local MX tracks. He was probably just fighting that bike for everything it had.

Everyone lined up, took the green and at the checkered flag, Josh was in third.

Great job JH

If any of you caught some of the Facebook live interviews with Richard, he explains how excited he is to work with Cam after just a few tests. He said his feedback is incredible and they speak the same language. He also said the bike they are riding is 100% built in Huntington Beach. All the parts are engineered by Richard. So, if you have the money, you could have the bike.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    CR750 and Senna like this.
  20. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Rocco looked a lot taller to me this weekend. He’s grown a good bit since last season.