1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michele Obama says white flight ruined her neighbourhood

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by speeddaddy, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

The 25% tipping point was in reference to what folks would accept before bailing.

Chino52405 likes this.
  2. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

I dont understand. Why do those neighborhoods suffer after whites leave and how is that the fault of people who are no longer there?

StaccatoFan and tony 340 like this.
  3. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

One easy way is for long time residents with no mortgage to sell at the "get out" price vs fighting for true competitive value. Again, more socio-economic than purely race, but the two have had a bit of a correlation in our history.

4. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Only if you assume to know the motivations.

5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

My motivations are always the same. I move out to where no one lives. Then my wife tells everyone that asks her about how great it is where we live. People move in, I start to hate the area and then it's time to go again. Sooner or later I guess I'd have to blame her for the problem.

TurboBlew and speeddaddy like this.
  6. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

You’re going to have to follow closer to understand. We’re past that.

7. Fonda Dix

I would contend, without evidence, that what you describe is rare as hens teeth.

One thing people care more about than their own "racism" is their wallet. Nobody I have met in my 50 years on this earth sells anything of value at a loss. Nobody. However, I dont know everybody on the planet so I cant say your theory is impossible.

8. Chino52405

You don't have to know the motivations of every single individual if the phenomenon is not isolated and can be repeated. It only matters to you/me as the "accused", but it doesn't change the experience or outcomes for the families who moved in prior to flight.

9. Fonda Dix

Or the answer given earlier is hollow and I need something of substance. :)

jokes aside, I will read the whole thread again now to catch up on the theory.

10. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I smell bullshit. How does one fight for true competitive value?

11. Chino52405

While I agree, it's not at a loss and typically massive profit if its a long time family home - just not full market value. I love my money but almost did a short sale on a condo in 2006 to move away from geriatric HOA - I was willing to lose money because of my outright hatred of my neighbors and their propensity to special assess everything while resisting revenue increases - because they didn't have mortgages.

Are you ok? I know you ask stupid questions, but fuck you're special today. Have you ever bought or sold a property?

12. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

So, did you find it? :crackup:

Fonda Dix likes this.
  13. Fonda Dix

All of this just has the air of victim-hood, an expectation of something owed, and ultimately, a request to curtail my freedom to improve someone else's life. However I have had the luxury of living in many racially diverse but economically homogeneous communities my entire life. Therefore, I see division based on earning and not on color.

Flip the script though, how do you guys (Buck and Chino) feel about the similar but different issue of white people moving into and raising the property values and costs in black neighborhoods of Harlem or Watts?

14. Chino52405

I have no problem with individuals buying where and how they can afford and see nothing wrong with purposefully buying something to improve. Most of the old-timers on my block own multiple properties and are thirsty as hell to get all the Becky's from Iowa State in there at a premium ASAP while still living 3 generations deep in their place. Cities are expensive and you either sacrifice to get in the game or bitch from the sidelines.

However I do have a problem when large developers are allowed to come in and negotiate property tax rates and ensure incentives for developing an area. THIS is where the big changes and pushing out of residents comes into play.

Fonda Dix likes this.
  15. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

True story:

Early 90's my grandfather lived in Redford , MI. I was maybe 14 or 15.....don't remember.

He moved to Redford in the early 70s because it was right next to Detroit and his Detroit neighborhood went to shit after black people destroyed it during the riots. Then their fatherless kids started dozens of house fires every devils night each year. At that time Redford was a great area, all lawns cut, good schools, good tax base, nice parks, zero crime, etc.

I was young.....and I'll never forget this as long as I live. Your grandpa is your first hero.

1st black family moved on his block and he put his house up for sale the next Fucking day. I was shocked. I asked him isn't that racist ?

See, I had went to public schools and they taught me that was racist. So I asked him, point blank why he was moving back down south.

He said , "Son, these ******* will ruin this town, just like my street in Detroit 25 yrs ago. It's like watching a virus slowly spread. My house is my biggest investment and I am retired. Grandma and I are going back home and getting our money while we still can."

He sold that house for 160k in 1994.

It MIGHT be worth 50k now.

All the town of Redford is going to shit. Public services suck. Crime everywhere. Parks are shit. Schools are shit. Businesses boarded up. Bunch of broke down boats and cars and shit on his old street.

While Mrs. Obama may call him a racist.....I call him a realist

The man was right all along.....it just took me 25 years to see it.

csm800 likes this.
  16. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Don't tell 'em where Grandpa Tony is buried. :D

Racism versus realism. Interesting story Tony.

tony 340 likes this.
  17. G 97

G 97 Garth

Sure it happens, we can all agree to this and I have no doubt that in some cases it is racially motivated for some but for the majority, I don't see race as being the driving force. I just know from my own experiences that there are areas on Des Moines East side that I would never want to live in. And this area is 99% white.
    Mmmmmmmm, not so sure she is trying to start a dialogue anymore than she is trying to make a political racially driven statement. Although, her statements have create a Wera bbs dialogue, so....................???

18. csm800

csm800 Well-Known Member

Another true story:

The 1967 Detroit riots was the start of it for my parents. My paternal grandfather and my uncle were on the Detroit police force for that incident, where Governor Romney (Mitts father) asked LBJ for assistance and LBJ delayed it, making it worse.
    The M1 in my fathers gun safe was purchased as WWII surplus because the 5 shot revolver my grandfather carried wasn't going to combat the 30-06 rooftop snipers.

My father was working for the Detroit Public schools as a journeyman plumber and was in a lot of those schools - seeing the worst of them.
    We lived not too far where my parents grew up - streets like Rosemary and Wilfred https://www.google.com/maps/@42.414...4!1srqvouO0PtNj_xR_obC2mAQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
    The minute the city and schools talk about busing us kids across town to make things equal is when we moved - 1973 - way out to Shelby Township. At that time, it was on the edge of farm/ranch lands.
    Dad had to buy a second car - mom was used to taking the bus everywhere.

The democrats have run Detroit since the 50's. Blame them. When Coleman Young was elected, my grandfather,then in internal affairs, saw so much corruption he retired and moved out of Detroit.
    He would have moved earlier but there used to be a residency requirement for city workers.

In trying to solve the segregation problem, they made it worse.

Attached Files:

tony 340 likes this.
  19. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

White people bad.

White people evil.

White people greedy.

White people selling their homes, homes being purchased by non-whites, neighborhood goes to shit, white people’s fault.

Logic has no place in this discussion. :rolleyes:

20. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Politicians sold Michigan on that "school of choice" bullshit in my town.

Now we bus these kids from dumb parents into my township.

Moving here for good schools was half the reason to pay more for a nice town.

I guess it wasn't enough that we buy their lunch......now they can drop our property value without even moving here.