1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michele Obama says white flight ruined her neighbourhood

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by speeddaddy, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

I actually wish this were the case. It’s a known fact folks are willing to pay a premium to isolate themselves.

2. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Because, with few to no exception, people suck.

sdg and sheepofblue like this.
  3. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Solution is easy treat others as you would want to be treated. Avoid those that don't. Oh and Shelties are the best dogs..... :rtfrb:

4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Well..I keep moving away from density. Once the area becomes too popular it's time to move further out.

ducnut likes this.
  5. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

Density moves are normal. I get that having neighbors close can be a pita at times.

6. G 97

G 97 Garth

Oh I don’t necessarily disagree but the reality is there is a far far far greater amount of people who can’t or who don’t isolate themselves. Gated / isolated communities are far and few between when compared to non gated communities. I guess my point is, everyone is welcome, just don’t be a jackass.

There is a neighbor in my area who lets his dogs bark and who doesn’t mow his lawn regularly. Neither of which is a huge deal but guess which neighbor gets pilled on and gets head shakes from all the other neighbors.

This is why I go out of my way and make deposits with my neighbors by clearing sidewalks of snow, helping mow, picking up blowing trash, carting their trash cans up to their house from the curb, cleaning carbs on their mowers etc because I know I will be rolling in at 330 am on my Harley doing burn outs from time to time. LOL.

7. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

I don't care what color you are, just pick up your dog shit and learn to wave without forcing small talk.

Steeltoe, XFBO, ducnut and 3 others like this.
  8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Can you swing by the house next Thursday?

G 97 likes this.
  9. G 97

G 97 Garth

Sure, but for you it would be the 330 am activities. :D

10. Venom51

I know but the question is am I exerting my white privilege when I do? I am of a financial position that I can pick up and move at any moment. That is always generally away from areas that the population density has grown to a point that I feel crowded and want away from it. I have no control over the ethnic make up of that population density but if it were predominantly ethnic am I a racist for moving away or just unsocial?

jrsamples likes this.
  11. G 97

G 97 Garth

:crackup: At one of my other houses where I lived, I had a corner lot which of course meant more sidewalks and more foot traffic. So while mowing my lawn I would find dog shit in my yard close to side walk. So after awhile and it still continued I would simply place the shit right square in the middle of the sidewalk. Low and behold, no more dog shit showed up in my yard. LOL

12. Chino52405

I want to get a camera in front of my house just to put neighbor shaming pictures on a stake next to the piles. Then I remember there's way better things I could be doing than pouring through hours of footage looking for dog poop.

jrsamples and G 97 like this.
  13. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

We had a similar issue and its all one dude. He is a special forces guy and a friend. I talked to him about it and he apologized and started picking it up. At that point I told him to do it close to my gate and I will pick it up. He plays Army to protect my freedom so I will pick up his Boerbel shit. :)

Besides, he is married to this tiny white girl who is a fitness competitor. She comes down and brings me egg white fritattas and shit and I get to look at her like an old perv.

14. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

I think you can answer that for yourself. When you’re reason becomes racially motivated, that of course changes the viewpoint.

15. Venom51

Of course I can answer the question myself but that has no impact on how that is viewed from the outside by a third party. Is someone, who doesn't know me or the reason I moved, coming to the conclusion that I moved simply because non-white people moved into the area?

16. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

In short, no.

17. Venom51

So she is wrong? Because that's essentially what she is saying. She has no idea why those families packed up and left she has just come to the conclusion it was because black families moved into the neighborhood.

18. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

I have to ask if you’re intentionally being obtuse? Of course she’s not saying that’s the case with everyone’s reason, but it’s a fact that it happens.
    Understand that she’s attempting to start a dialogue, not place blame at you’ll view it from another perspective.

19. Venom51

No..that's what I did. She got up in front of a microphone and proclaimed to a group of people that whitey ran away from the black folk moving in without any direct knowledge of the decisions people made about where to live.

“There were no gang fights, there were no territorial battles. Yet one by one, they packed their bags and they ran from us," she said at the event. "And they left communities in shambles.”

Maybe it was simply that in some cases but I suspect the percentage would be very small if you could quantify it.

20. Chino52405

It said in the article G linked that there is a measurable tipping point of 20-25% black. I don't for a second believe that 25% of white people are looking at their black neighbors and wanting to bail strictly on race. However, when things change it makes it easier to start thinking about the places you could or wanted to move but never did. The impetus and outcome for many could be exactly the same, but it may tend to manifest itself in the form of dreaming of new places vs outwardly racists motivations. So while whitey may not flee out of fear or hatred most of the time, the impact of whitey leaving is still the same and it measurable and repeatable enough to not be just nothing.

I have a bit of an opposite situation where I live in that new kids of all colors, but mostly white and female, want to come here and talk about affordable housing and rent caps (for the minorities and original neighborhood people...) with no understanding that (many) of the long time residents of the neighborhood took the opportunity to invest long-tern in the neighborhood and are a significant portion of landlords and land owners.