1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica Climate

Discussion in 'General' started by Superbikeorbust, Dec 29, 2019.

1. GNC

GNC Jim Rashid

what racer was that?

2. 418

418 Expert #59

This is some 20 year memory you're asking me to recall. I don't remember off hand.

Keep in mind I'm not saying it was all riders, but some guys couldn't adapt and the results suffered.

3. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Any MotoGP racer....

4. GNC

GNC Jim Rashid

Oh ok, I thought it was a us based rider.

Also 20 years ago doesn't really matter. Were talking about now.

5. Superbikeorbust

Superbikeorbust Well-Known Member

You nailed it!! One more thing. The gap between tires are much closer now. They are all great tires.

GNC likes this.
  6. GNC

GNC Jim Rashid

Your correct,

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Add more zip ties. :D

jd41 likes this.
  8. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Ehh, I’m for multiple brands and compounds and We has as much problem as anyone back in the day from having to run X tire. The problem wasn’t as much that it was a spec tire, it is what tire they made us run. I still feel that they were making us run those Hard tires just to get them out of their inventory...
    We never had a tire deal period but won on three different brands of tires on the 600. Only had problems when forced to run the Hard front tire.
    Setup wasn’t that big of a deal for us going from one to the other.
    JMO

9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I will only say that even Yosh had problems last year or the year before when Dunlop slightly changed the tire construction on the rear tire. Some people on here were even saying it was done to help Yamaha, which I don't beleive.

All I can say is if MotoGP race winner and Moto2 champion Toni Elias had problems getting a Yoshimura superbike dialed in and got his ass handed to him for half the season, some of us regular people that aren't biased towards a tire company may have trouble too.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    Senna and 418 like this.
  10. backbone

backbone scarred for life

I don't think it was the tire on the Yosh bike. I think they tried something that didn't work and had to blame the tires. Happens all the time. Of course, this is a guess.

As for your son, was he on the same bike in all of the above scenarios? Same suspension tuner?

11. GNC

GNC Jim Rashid

Could it all be that Yosh had their baseline dialed and the new construction threw them for a loop? Thats the problem with spec tire series , sometimes changes tend to benefit certain setups . Some construction types don't suit certain riders and it takes them time to adapt , which I believe Toni did.

12. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

MA went from a 200/55 to a 200/60 in mid 2018. Not sure if the actual materials or construction type changed though.

13. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

My money would be more on it being a software setup issue from the different profile than any suspension setup challenges...Just my uneducated guess though.
    They were still competitive when having those perceived setup issue also...

14. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

I believe it had to do with the sidewalk stiffness of the tire. They eventually figured it out (kind of) with a different shock package and link. I believe Daisuke even designed a link to help fix it, but they had to wait for Yosh Japan’s blessing to put it on the bike. They also changed to what appeared to be a more flexible swingarm over the setup prior.

IMO. They were still struggling with it and the last few rounds this year, they were going slower than they had previously while the Yamahas were going faster. I watched them change the rear shock a few times at Barber and Toni would come in exasperated every time.

Electronics won’t fix a bike that doesn’t have the fundamentals right.

15. Superbikeorbust

Superbikeorbust Well-Known Member

With you 100% on the rules package.

16. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

The early 1980s recession . One cause was the Federal Reserve's contractionary monetary policy, which sought to rein in the high inflation. In the wake of the 1973 oil crisis and the 1979 energy crisis, stagflation began to afflict the economy.

Not legal, my dad signed it to me at 18.

Lucky? Coasting? You don`t know what you`re talking about. You work 80-90 hrs/week? I bought a 25 yr old car, lived in a one bedroom apartment.

Best economy?? LOL. The 80`s? Interest rates? About 15% prime. The economy was in a deep recession.

It IS possible today, I`ve had two techs do it in the last ten years. My sons all did it. You do what you have to.

We don`t even know each other. I`m not going to talk with someone that only insults and has no idea what he`s talking about.
    Happy new year.

17. Hoffman900

One bedroom apartments where I‘ve lived range from $1100 (for something in rough neighborhood where you hear gunshots at night) to $1400 / mo and increasing with each year. That’s been pretty consistent across three major cities (Philadelphia, Atlanta, and Denver).

I’ve worked 80hr weeks quite often, but it doesn’t work everywhere. Sure, if you’re a union pipe fitter for a power plant in the middle of nowhere it would work, but that isn’t the reality for most. Good paying jobs, for the most part, are in the cities and cost of living in them is adjusted accordingly. If you want to live on the sticks and drive 1.5-2hrs to work, sure. I know plenty of union construction guys who do that.

Again, you and the other boomers beating your chests really come across like the world began and stops with them. Nope. When you guys retire you are replaced like all the generations before you, “tough jobs” and “soft jobs”. Some boomers seem to struggle with that fact, probably because they realize how insignificant they are in the grand scheme of things. Like the rest of us, and everyone who came before you, you’re just a number and you too will fade away.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  18. Hoffman900

Back to MotoAmerica,

So we're writing the season off despite Team Hammer not announcing who is going to be on the: 2 x Superbikes and 1 x Superstock. Has Graves announced anything for SuperStock?

Tire wars have never lowered costs. One brand inevitably is faster and everyone ends up running that anyway. Furthermore, without a spec tire, or tight controls like a single manufacturer, you open it up for select teams to get preferential treatment. There is a reason just about every single pro series has a spec tire.

I'm not buying the electronics thing, and their ascension also corresponds with the economy crashing, demographics changing, purchasing habits changing, etc. Correlation does not imply causation.

Motorsports as a whole is dealing with this. BMW and Ford pulled out of IMSA, NASCAR is proposing SWEEPING changes in the next few years, Formula One deals with rumors of Mercedes and Renault pulling out (and think of all the other manufacturers that have come and gone there), NHRA is scratching their heads on how to attract anyone younger than 55yo to their events, etc. Great drivers are rideless, and all but a small minority are pay to play. Senna had his parent's money, Jim Hall was an oil tycoon, Niki Lauda's grandfather was a paper tycoon, Roger Penske's dad was a big corporate executive.... it's always required money.

Meanwhile, the trails, slopes, the surf, cliffs, and streams / rivers are packed with millenials doing outdoor things. I remember telling a older family member once, who had the same curmudgeon arguments as a few here, that the most Baby Boomer thing ever is to think everyone should like the same things they do. Tastes change. Motorcycles are expensive. Always have been.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  19. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

4 simple words that are so utterly difficult for everyone of all generations to accept (save the random super genius who creates the cure to cancer or something of the like).....

You
    Are
    Not
    Special

But, its very hard to get this point into the heads of such an entitled and self-important society as this one is :D

20. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Never mind.

Nobody is beating their chest; well not me.

Listen carefully, because you seem like you don`t understand. A tech in my shop can make 110K, we`re a town of 20,000. So no , not all good jobs are in big cities.

Career centers cannot place more than about 2-3 out of 25-30 per class because the kids have no work ethic or intensity. Local factories have changed their drug test policies to not test until after 90 days...just to have some help(however shitty) for 3 months. This includes AEP (Honda).

Jesus. Understand? Has nothing to do with my "toughness". Not about me.

I did what I had to do , these kids have no concept. There are a few good ones. It comes from poor/non exististent or helicopter parents. Parenting has changed radically, and with it, the kids they`re raising.

I`ve hired 10 directly out of the career center in the last 5 months. All useless.

I have two 20+ year techs, one 40, one 57.

Average age of a tech in the US is 58. Don`t try to tell me I don`t know...

I`ve been advisory for 25 yrs to help them; I`m on their side.

If you think it`s just normal generational, you`re delusional or uninformed.