1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tesla Truck reveal happening now.

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

The push for autonomy and public acceptance of it isn't for the consumer. It's for the freight industry. That's their plan to get around the pesky 8 hour human limitation.

2. lookmtb

lookmtb Active Member

That's not even true. They took a federal loan out and paid it back in full. Can Chevy or Ford say the same?

3. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

There are far worse bottomless pits we have thrown tax dollars into. At least this one is directly providing jobs and looks to be on its way to becoming viable. If anything, die hard trickle down economy folks should be using Tesla as the perfect example of it actually working. The people buying them aren't minimum wage workers. I've not met a single Tesla owner that wasn't paying well into the 5 figures (or more) in income taxes. To say that they got subsidized for only paying $42,500 in income taxes instead of $50k, for example, is a bit daft. I say good on them for redirecting those tax dollars to something tangible instead of setting it on fire by mailing it to Washington. What good would another $7500 have done up there? Nothing.

Also, while it's not Tesla, Space X looks to be saving us a whole lot of money on that front so maybe we should find some other schmuck to present pitchforks to.

4. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

You mean like the $20 billion the US spends on fossil fuel subsidies? How much you not liking them?

Chris, SuddenBraking, pscook and 2 others like this.
  5. ljuice26

ljuice26 Well-Known Member

correct
    correction, $30 billion.

sdiver and pscook like this.
  6. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Not when you make your living extracting and refining those liquid fuels.

Gorilla George and Phl218 like this.
  7. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

Like I do?

8. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  9. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

10. ljuice26

Ford didn’t like that video of their F-150 being bullied, so they issued a challenge. Elon accepted.

Attached Files:

Steeltoe likes this.
  11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Dragginass likes this.
  12. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

You sure took the author’s argument apart...

Dragginass likes this.
  14. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Thank you

15. ljuice26

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamese...l-fuel-subsidies-than-education/#4461e03b4473

Buckle’s analysis of the inefficiency of fossil fuel subsidies is illustrated best by the United States’ own expenditure: the $649 billion the US spent on these subsidies in 2015 is more than the country’s defense budget and 10 times the federal spending for education . When read in conjunction with a recent study showing that up to 80% of the United States could in principle be powered by renewables, the amount spent on fossil fuel subsidies seems even more indefensible.

16. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

For $100, WTF wouldn't you? Price would be $77K fully loaded with auto driving and all that, which is only $15K more than my current truck. Odds are the production isn't going to happen anywhere near the timeframe quoted, but if it does I want the option to buy it if I want one at that point. Also, what happens if he's totally trolling people and it's a "normal" looking truck with the quoted performance specs?

*It's the definition of a no-brainer to me with my driving habits.

*I realize that others may have alternate driving habits which make owning an EV a non-starter.

17. The point is to always burn liquid fuel.

crashman likes this.
  18. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Like the mining industry leading the way with automation from pit to port, it's actually about safety didn't you know? Think of the improved safety stats once all the workers have been gotten rid of.

19. lookmtb

lookmtb Active Member

ZEV credits are available to any manufacturer. It's not tesla's fault they're smart enough to take advantage of them. In fact the haters would be saying how stupid they are for not taking advantage of free money.

U.S. Federal Tax credits are a transaction between a U.S. Citizen and the federal government so I'm not sure how you think Tesla is seeing this money? It helped boost sales for a while, but again ALL manufacturers EV's can take advantage of this.

The only thing your links have enlightened me on is your ignorance of how this works. ALL manufacturers are subsidized in some way. As others have pointed out Tesla doesn't even get that much in comparison to the oil industry. To blame Tesla for just playing the game is a pathetic excuse to justify your bias against an EV.

ljuice26 and pscook like this.
  20. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I need to find a way to get subsidized.