1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how many track days a year

Discussion in 'General' started by jeffmack, Oct 4, 2019.

1. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

your bike and trailer are WAY safer at the TRACK vs at the hotel. I can't tell you how many people i know personally, and have read/heard of, over the years have had bikes and/or trailers stolen from hotels. It's as bad/worse with dirt bikes. At Sumpter SC national enduro 2 years ago, 17 dirt bikes were stolen from various hotels in the area on Saturday night before the race on sunday. Some were out of locked trailers in the parking lot... none stolen from the property where people were camping at the race.

TurboBlew and Senna like this.
  2. jeffmack

jeffmack Well-Known Member

mind taking a peek at the 650 for sale on this forum, "2013 SV650 Gen 3 south Florida" anything I need to know?
    Id love to consider the 300 series.... been advised by a few that since I'm nit a little guy (6' 210lb") a SV would be the way to go to get started for more than a few years. After I advance and if wanted then you can consider getting a built R6 or the like...... but of course thats way down the road and well after many weekends on the the SV ( if thats what I get) but I guess its hard to beat the SV for someone like me that is just staring. Plenty of parts, easy to work on, reliable, down on power but nimble and fits a bigger guy well.
    thanks again. you all have been very helpful
    Jmack

Boman Forklift likes this.
  3. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Plenty of 210 pound and up guys going fast on 300's........not that there is anything wrong with SV's,but don't be too quick to discredit a 300.Its a great learning tool or for the life of this hobby if you don't give a rats ass for ego. Plenty of 300 "heavyweight" guys can catch up to SVs in combined races,so it can be done.

Senna likes this.
  4. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I've never done a track day in my life. Started racing at 45, won 2 class championships. Now I find out it's a terrible idea... :rolleyes:

SpeedyE, motoracer1100, JBall and 2 others like this.
  5. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

It certainly looks nice. I know very little about suspension in general, and even less about what's best for a late-model SV, so I'll let someone else comment on it.

FWIW, I'm at your height but a bit lighter than you at around 180-185 weight. The 300 has honestly been a godsend for me on track. I have some ergonomic issues that required me to bump down to a 300, but I'm glad I did. I feel in complete control of the bike and have learned far more in one track weekend on the 300 than I ever did on my old GSXR.

britx303 likes this.
  6. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

The key is to park next to the guy with an HP4 Race or V4R. Ain't nobody grabbing my 300 over those bikes. ;)

BROsiah and MELK-MAN like this.
  7. britx303

I did 1 TD before I started racing because I was told that BS I "HAD" to do them before even being allowed to race. I found out soon after that,that was BS so I did the school and went straight to racing. Started off in vintage so grids were smaller and less hectic........but it was V7 so plenty of speed to royally screw the pooch,but not so many people out there I felt over pressured to impress anybody but myself...........most of them left me in the dust anyways:D. I'd say to anyone wanting to race ..........if you want a larger grid and a good mix of speed/talent or lack thereof, start out on a 300-SV.If ya just gotta do a 600+........do it in a vintage/classic class to cut your teeth on a 12 year old or older sportbike and support V7 and V8:beer:. 'Murica!!!

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I cant think of an event, outside of Homestead, that didnt allow for camping overnight inside the paddock.
    You can make a decent, weather resistant shelter out of an enclosed trailer and some EZ ups. Climate controlling optional...lol. The nuclear approach is an RV...lol. Ive never been to a facility that didnt have showers or toilets.

As for power... sssume most places dont have it. You can buy some pretty decent generators for about $700 new. Doesnt have to be Honda or Yamaha but buying those you wont be disappointed. Containing your cost(s) can be done with some planning which adds alil satisfaction to the hobby.

Laz, MELK-MAN and jeffmack like this.
  9. jeffmack

sounds good I may just do 1 TD as well who knows gotta start thou. Sounds like Racing would be fun with great people. I have a old buddy (worked with him) of mine that has been telling me to do this for years.... Kirk McConnell....im sure some of u may know him... he's hard to forget.... I hope to surprise him at a track one day once I get in the groove.

10. TurboBlew

I guess it depends on which region and tracks you race. I probably wouldnt grid up in a novice 600 SS race with 25+ entrants if you couldnt consistently hit apexes or at least come within 2-3 seconds of the previous year(s) lap times.
    The biggest thing is being able to seperate emotion... which some master before putting a motorbike between their legs.

Gorilla George likes this.
  11. TurboBlew

haha... Kirk is good peeples! :up: He needs to spend more time in the gym! Hes a skinny toothpick! :D

steve802cc likes this.
  12. jeffmack

Ha! thats Kirk

13. jeffmack

I think/hope emotionally I am ready Im a old man, 47, probably would have been a issue 20 years ago.... those days have past.... i think. ill certainly put myself thru the paces, probably too much, before grinding up... thats just me. Ill get there not in a hurry, gonna enjoy the journey

14. britx303

You sound like a vintage racer already! Welcome to the club...........:p

TurboBlew likes this.
  15. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

TurboBlew and jeffmack like this.
  16. jeffmack

i got a 75 Norton.... maybe I should get that track worthy LOL that would put me in the poor house too quickly thou

17. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

I’ll hook you up with a nicely preped Ninja 300 thats street legal too

18. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I did one track day wknd, did the Team Chicago racing school at a GLRRA event and went racing.
    But, i had a lot of laps at the Gap by then so there's that. :)

19. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

You're already failing with that comment about work. This is about motorcycles and the track....You must miss work for that wknd at JGP and never look back. If your job is still there, great, if not, maybe even better.

baconologist and jeffmack like this.
  20. steve802cc

steve802cc Well-Known Member

GLRRA
    Ya 15-20years ago ;)