KTM Duke 790 and WERA

Discussion in 'General' started by gcally, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Champer

Champer Well-Known Member

The Kramer GP2 is gonna be sweet, but I am really struggling to figure out where it will fit in any club. The 690 Kramer gets the benefit in a lot of clubs of the single cylinder doesn't need DOT frame thing so it gets the superbike races, but the twin will not fit that rule so you'll get very few races on a weekend. Racing it in Middleweight on a large track, I don't think it will have a huge advantage over a R6...But maybe it will!

SpeedR73 likes this.
  2. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

If these new twins are worth a shit, they’ll simply do what the SV 650 did to the twins classes.
    Evolution.
    Potentially a new class for MA, middleweight twins. Also another opportunity for a manufacturer or two to get involved with MA.

SpeedR73 likes this.
  3. SpeedR73

SpeedR73 Active Member

4. SpeedR73

SpeedR73 Active Member

Agreed, but, the Krämer GP2 is showing over $30k. That being said, AP is selling plenty of spec FZ07Rs for well over $20k. So it’s not out of the question. If I was ever going to commit to be a competitive expert guy then I could see dropping that for a turnkey racer. I also like to go for unique, abnormal stuff...just the extra fun factor...

5. SpeedR73

SpeedR73 Active Member

I’d like to discuss this idea a little further. The 848 is heavier with not that much more power and similar torque. On paper the Krämer GP2 seems competitive in that environment. 130hp, 74 ft lbs, and 308 lbs...with some pretty high spec components. It’d be the lightest in that class, no? I’m only talking, and I’m not yet racing, but when I do get there I’d not have a problem running it with the Duc, or F3 800, or even maybe an AP style FZ09R? I really think the bike is capable, on paper...it really comes down to the riders’ mental game?

6. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

It was a 600.

7. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Ehh, no need in a middle weight class. Throw them in the Supersport class. Too many different classes already.

Why is the solution for Manufacturers always to make them just a little bigger? A category that used to be filled with 60-70hp Twins now has people wanting to add in bikes that make over a hundred stock.

The 790 should be grouped with the 798 and 848 and wherever they are now Ducati’s. Guess what, they aren’t legal for the 600 class because they are too big. Still

8. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

9. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

A buddy of mine has a KTM race prepped. Robert Fisher from Roaring Toyz cut the ears of the tank, and they have RC-8 bodywork fitted. The bike is fast and he says it handles like a champ. It stomps my FZ on the straights.

It's legal for LW in CCS, and I think it's pretty competitive with the big bore Ducs- but there's really not many of those left racing. Maybe after the Mavros auction, there's like 20 of them for sale and I'm sure they are going to be deals.

Kramers, Big Bore Ducs, KTM are fun bikes to ride in CCS and AHRMA.

I wish I had gotten in on the SV action 10 years ago, I'd probably be a better rider and be a lot richer. But then I wouldn't have as many trophies, so there's that. Really starting to love my FZ, too.

No Brakes likes this.
  10. SpeedR73

SpeedR73 Active Member

Oh ok, I was looking for updated discussions about it. Honestly, because I’m not in the loop, this thread was all that I could find. No other articles are floating around. It does make me even more curious what Krämer is doing with that GP2. Maybe they won’t ever have any real inventory here in the states. It’ll just be a Euro thing?

11. SpeedR73

SpeedR73 Active Member

Thanks for this...I just looked that bike up on his Instagram and it’s a pretty cool idea. Very inspiring, but miles different from the Krämer build. I’d like to know if Mr. Fisher was able to get the weight way down and the power way up from a stock 790 Duke. I like how he did that bodywork.

12. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Stock 790 makes roughly 93-94hp and 57ft lbs on pump gas.
    Stock 848 Evo makes roughly 116-118hp and 62-63ft lbs on pump gas.

Aren't top level (say top 10-12 bikes) FZ's and SV's running in MA this year around 86-88ish HP and similar torque figures to a stock 790? Give the 790 a 20lb weight penalty and toss it in the class but only as stock - no pipes, PCV's, increased air flow - nada...

Kramer GP2R is bumped to 890cc and makes roughly 130hp and 72ft lbs - that thing must be INSANE at 308lbs wet which is 105lbs under stock.

13. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

AP said 100HP with his motor on Facebook.

14. younglion

I'm not sure what type of dyno AP uses or what was done to that bike, if anything, but I've seen dozens of dyno charts for this bike (I own one) and they've ranged anywhere from 89hp-97hp and the vast majority of NA spec units are dynoing at 93-95 ponies.

I'm not on FB - can someone post up the dyno chart maybe or their website?

15. Boman Forklift

I don't own one, you initially said 86-88HP, so that Is why I responded I had seen him say 100HP, I wasn't trying to come off argumentative. It was awhile ago, when he put up a picture of a head with dimples in the ports that looked like a golf ball. I don't recall seeing a dyno report, just where he posted they finally hit 100HP.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  16. younglion

Gotcha - so not on a stock bike then if they had to make some changes to "finally hit 100hp" - makes sense now.

17. raven21

raven21 Well-Known Member

The dimple motor was mine and made 96 with ram air low 90s on our local dyno without it on Sunoco spec fuel from last year.

MachineR1 likes this.
  18. Boman Forklift

It took awhile, but I found this.
    upload_2019-10-5_15-53-53.png

upload_2019-10-5_15-56-17.png

19. Turbotech

Turbotech Well-Known Member

20. younglion

You meant 100hp FZ07's - AHHHH!!!!!

I understood your post to mean the KTM 790's were 100hp - I'll put my pitchfork and screwdriver away now. :)