1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ronald Reagan said that?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Steeltoe, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49177034

"Mr Reagan, who was a supporter of Taiwan, called the president the following day to express his apparent frustration.

He said: "To see those... monkeys from those African countries - damn them, they're still uncomfortable wearing shoes!"

I'm sure someone will come along to explain. Isolated comment. Out of context. Did good for The Blacks. Tarnish his legacy.

2. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Don't even have to read it. He was from a different age in time. My grandfather was a KKK member in his younger years. One of his best friends was a black man, his next door neighbor, that he went fishing with all the time. I never once remember hearing my grandfather talk bad about black people. It really surprised me when I found out. Racism, real racism, was much more normal and accepted back then. I'm sure every one of us has been caught off guard by what some old people would say.

3. joec

joec brace yourself

Don't even bring the air traffic controllers in this.

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Ever got a chance to talk to him about it? What was his rationale?

As for Reagan, is anyone really surprised?

5. G 97

G 97 Garth

Sadly, it was a different time. No excuse. He should have just called them idiots or something of the like.

sheepofblue likes this.
  6. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I was too young to know, or should I say really understand. I never really "talked" to my g-parents. Now that I'm older I would have loved to. He was a cook on a battleship in WWII. I'm sure he had some amazing stories to tell, if he would have told them.

7. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

That's an outrage, Reagan National Airport should be renamed

Knotcher likes this.
  8. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

It was 1971, before everyone was offended as easily. People then and now, say things that don’t always sit well in hindsight. I imagine in Reagan’s case it was out of frustration about something...it happens. I won’t lose any sleep over it.

K51000 likes this.
  9. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Don't ever look too closely at your heroes.....Is there anyone here that would come out squeaky clean if everything that they ever said was scrutinized? Oh my god! Many of the founding fathers were racists!!! They must be crucified!!! (Not saying RR was a FF)
    Perhaps we should just be happy that we are making much progress. Like all significant societal changes it takes generation(s) to take effect. Doesn't make it right, just the way it is.

BigBird likes this.
  10. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Corrected.

11. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Ummm, almost 50 years ago. Soooo, yeah, that was a very different time. Like motofun said above, don't look too closely at your heroes. I would think by this time in your life, you'd learn that EVERYONE has some kind of "skeletons" in their closet. E-V-E-R-Y-O-N-E Some are larger than others. I don't see a single person in here defending the words in any way. I don't believe anyone will.

sheepofblue likes this.
  12. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

Your grandfather named Clatyon Bigsby?

Shenanigans, SuddenBraking and BHP41 like this.
  13. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Hmmm, my daughter does tan super easy, so ya never know... :crackup:

14. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I'm sure the radical left will demand he be posthumously impeached for it.

16. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

He was born 100+ years ago, hasn’t been President for 30 years, has been dead for 15 years, and made the comment 50 years ago. Oh no, a comment made by a dude long dead 50 years ago was non-PC today. Who gives a shit.

Are the lefties going (more) insane and demanding we dig up his bones and tar and feather them?

_indy and K51000 like this.
  17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

So he can posthumously forget it happened.

It's all part of the play to paint the Republican party as racist. The might want to check their own closets first.

18. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

My grandfather was an awesome dude from what I remember, but he was a racist in his younger years from what I’ve been told. He was a shit kicker from Bakersfield born over 100 years ago, what else can be expected?

My dad told me he sent a black Navy buddy of his to his parents’ house to say hello, and my grandfather slammed the door and told him “get off my porch nigger!” I guess my dad was even surprised, and I’m sure incredibly embarrassed.

Best karma for that racist old man? I’m the last one to have carried on his family name, and I’m a half breed. My wife isn’t white either, so now everyone to carry on his name is going to be a damned darkie! :crackup:

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I am curious, did he feel that way about all black folks or just about 3rd/4th world Africans?

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

In context, it was likely about the UN vote and very specific African Africans. Then again, I never spent any time wandering around inside his head.