1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Boeing 737 Max-8 crash

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Mar 10, 2019.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

yeah, supposedly they are working on some more fixes that will not be ready til September, and then after acceptance from the FAA, earliest they can fly would be October.

2. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

It's not pulling a fuse, it's cutting out the stab trim when it's running away. The REASON for the runaway should be irrelevant. If the stab trim is running away, you cut it off. There's nothing new with the way this procedure has been applied since the original 737 design.

3. Gino230

When / Where did you read that? Southwest is the largest 737 operator and the largest MAX operator and we have had no uncommanded trim events. I have not heard of any US operator having any uncommanded trim events on the MAX, MCAS or otherwise.

4. Gino230

So much political BS is playing into this situation- let's not forget that 5 years ago we wouldn't even be talking about MCAS, we would be talking about crappy training and qualifications at 3rd world airlines, and we'd be waiting for the accident report. Some things can't be researched overnight, like the pilot's training records, the aircraft maintenance records, how the company was doing training, etc. The Ethiopians have completely locked out the investigators and are pretty much controlling that narrative. You think that is because Boeing is at fault?

The reason this subject isn't getting more play is that Boeing is somewhat complicit in putting unqualified pilots in the seat at alot of these 3rd world carriers. They are even opening an Ab-Initio training company to help take pilots from Zero time to airline pilots. They need to sell airplanes, and Airbus is ahead of them in terms of selling airplanes to third world operators. Airbus designed the A-320's to be flown by less than stellar pilots, that is why there are so many software protections. These can go horribly wrong, too, and they have.

The software changes will be helpful, they will prevent the runaway of the trim system due to a single sensor failure, (and limit the authority of the MCAS should both sensors be wrong) but the 2 facts remain IMO:

1. the airplane should never be put into a position where MCAS activates or is needed
    2. any 737 pilot should be capable of handling a trim runaway without crashing.

ChemGuy and ducnut like this.
  5. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I commonly used to screw with students trim when I was doing instrument instruction. Especially when they were zoned out on the needles. It's the little things that get you through the day. :D

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

asshole. :D

SteveThompson likes this.
  7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

o_O

Bad teacher thread material?

Chris and BigBird like this.
  8. wingsonwheels

wingsonwheels Well-Known Member

9. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Those are pretty lame complaints to be considered news. I can't imagine any commercial pilot who doesn't deal with that kind of stuff on an almost daily basis. Paperwork fell in a crack in the pedestal. :rolleyes:

Gino230 likes this.
  10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

11. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I've been offered promotion at my current job but it's not much more pay and it's to take over sales for a product that we're having trouble selling, producing, and shipping. It's a big shit sandwich and I'm pretty worn down by it all. I've got a terrible feeling about it and it feels like I'm set up to fail if I take it. My wife is about to get a new job with quite a big pay raise which is pretty awesome. She went to Vandy and is a smarty pants besides marrying me.

She wants me to pursue flying, I think I'd love to be a professional pilot. No kids yet- they are 2-3 years away- and living in Atlanta is probably the goal once we have them.

For you guys that have done it. I've got my multi, instrument rating(s) with all the boxes checked for my commercial except for practicing the maneuvers to PTS and taking the written. I've got 285 Hours and I'm 30 with a First class medical. I'm not overweight and exercise everyday but have a special issuance for sleep apnea... Thanks genetics..

Assuming I've got Money for training and living covered. Getting my commercial single/multi, then CFI and 1500 hours. I'm guessing 2-2.5 years to being hired? If ATL is the hope for the future, I'm assuming getting a Regional and eventual major airline job out of ATL should be doable?

I don't think I want to fly a jet for a private family or company.

12. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

There are some programs out there that will help . This is just one.
    https://www.skywest.com/skywest-airline-jobs/career-guides/pilot-pathway-program/

Get your multi commercial (I don't know why they want you to have a multi to fly a single engine but for some reason they like to see it. )and try to get on with a company like southern airways express flying right seat in a caravan .That would help you skip the instructor route and they will fly you enough where you should have 1500 hours in about 2 years . Than apply to all the regionals .

13. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I heard about this one on a podcast I listen too, get trained and work for the company for a certain number of years.

14. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Join Pilots of America (POA) its a good Beeb. Kid there documented going form PPL to regional pilot. He was instructing in NYC area. Took him less than a year or so to get 1500hrs and be hired by regional. Year later he is captain. So total to RJ captain was maybe 2 yrs....

Get commercial and CFI ASAP and start building hours. Its seems hard to find anything, unless you luck into a right seat job, without 500 hrs minimum. If you get on at a busy flight school it should take a yr or so to get your 1500 hrs.

Also on POA a couple guys transitioned late in life, like over 50, from career jobs (lawyer, etc) into RJ's. It can be done.

Good luck...

15. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

The only thing I can offer you is, if that’s truly what you want to do, pursue it while you’re fairly young. As you get older and more buried in life (more house, more vehicle, kids, pets, medical issues, etc), you’ll find less ability to make that change and less opportunity because of age. Get on that path, ASAP.

BigBird likes this.
  16. Newsshooter

17. 418

418 Expert #59

I hate the idea of having to become a CFI to get your hours. To me it seems like a blind leading the blind system but I get that I guess that's the only way to get "cheap" flight time.

18. Newsshooter

Survey, freight, heard of a SoCal job where you follow drones. :)

19. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I've been flying with a CFI that only has 400 hours or so and he's a good guy and all, but it sort of feels like I know as much as he does compared to my preferred CFI. He unfortunately is too busy with flying for work to do too much training anymore but his way of flying is so freaking good and precise, he makes it look so easy and is able to teach it too.

20. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Maybe in the civilian world, yes. USAF sees fit to send guys with freshly minted wings straight out of undergraduate pilot training to flight instructor school and then off to teaching guys back at UPT.

Why? Because it’s cheap.