1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mass shooting in Va Beach

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by SPL170db, May 31, 2019.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Do they interfere with using a scope?

2. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Not sure on the scope as I haven't used a scoped weapon since I left the Army. I have no issues aiming down my Eotech with an M-4 stock if that helps.

You might double up with the muffs and which ever ear you place on the stock with these. I have a set and they have been hit or miss. Some days they work perfect, other days not so much. It very much is possible I screwed something up in the molding.
    https://www.decibullz.com/custom-mo...wyaKW-o7O3I39bBcFgfwfOKUP3j7BihwaAh9bEALw_wcB

3. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Not sure what you mean by that? I use the same ones with this upgrade: https://noisefighters.com/ Those pads are a must have upgrade.

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

cheek to stock interference.

5. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Gotcha. If you are shooting an AR with a red dot then you are probably fine but anything with scope means you need a good cheekweld on the stock and earmuffs get pushed up and off the "seal". The right cheekweld is where your cheekbone is, that spot sits tight on the stock. So look at your head, your ear lobe is below that spot and the bottom of an earmuff is below that. So no, you can't get a seal with any earmuffs.

So put an earplug on your shooting side under the muffs. The cool thing about electronic is it amplifies sound below a preset decibel level to enhance conversations. Then when the sound goes above that preset level (gunshot), it noise cancels to provide protection. I double up with earplugs because I compete with scoped rifles. That would make conversations almost impossible with a normal earmuff. The amplification of sound with electronic helps overcome the earplugs so you can have conversations. Make sense?

6. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I'm not sure what it is but what you need
    apparently occurs naturally in my ears; my
    wife claims I don't hear a sound that
    comes out of her mouth.

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

That's exactly what I was asking. Thanks. Oddly enough shooting is the only thing I do left handed. I think it is because vision in my left eye is stronger than right.

8. G 97

G 97 Garth

Ear plugs.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Small gun really well sealed, subsonic rounds, and probably accurate about as far as your arm. He's comparing apples and grapefruit.

10. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Do you mean peaches or actual grapefruit? :D

10MM likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Actual grapefruit - no e on the end :crackup:

12. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

Well, I'm not sure about the coverage issue based on whether it's the right or wrong kind of perp to fit the MSM narrative, but I am sure that I invest less personal time reading the news on these things any more. Really, it just gets to be too much negative news flowing into my system, so you start to tune it out.

My personal bias suggests that the MSM provides more or less coverage to these mass casualty events based on the background and politics of the shooter, but I'll allow that I don't want to become an expert on each of these wackos so I don't read as much about them as I used to.

It's a bit callous, but really, if it's across the country affecting some people I don't know, how is it much different than a car crash or weekend Chicago incident affecting people I don't know?

There's a movie (or documentary) out there about some special ops guys stating that one problem with suppressors is that the bad guys don't crouch down and hide as much when using them, so the risk to the special ops guys is actually higher.

13. jdaniel

jdaniel Well-Known Member

You are probably left eye dominant. Pick a spot on the wall and hold your hand up in front of you with a finger over the spot. Close one eye, open it, then close the other, the eye that the finger/spot doesn't move is your dominant eye. Right handed/left eye, left handed/right eye dominant shooters have it rough.

14. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

I'm right handed, left eye dominant. I either need to close my left eye or blur the left lense on my shooting glasses to compensate when shooting clays. It sucks. Never new it until I took a lesson with Anthony Matarese and he picked up on it quickly.

15. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

You can teach yourself to switch hands shooting much more quickly than you can change eye dominance (you cant ever).

However, if you have been shooting for a long time, your overcompensation for the issue will make it extremely difficult to change. Just do the best you can with what you have.

I dont move much on a bike. It limited my pace but I was still pretty damn fast. You make do.

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Definitely left eye dominant. I don't recall a thought process, just that the first time I ever picked up a toy rifle (yes we used to have guns to play with) it seemed natural to place the stock on my left shoulder. Gander had a sale on .22LR Memorial day, so I picked up a few boxes. Time to go play with the 10/22 I bough back when Barry was pres. After 60 plus years, I'm not even going to retrain.

17. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I'm ambidextrous (mostly because I was taught everything right handed as a child and discouraged from using my left hand) but left hand dominant. And I am right eye dominant. I shoot primarily right handed and definitely a better shot that way, but still practice left handed and do pretty well.

18. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

No it is being realistic.

If you were in Florida at that shooting and died RIP. But here is the reality even at that school the odds you were even hurt was not large. Oh and on the same day millions of kids were fine. The next day the same plus no one was hurt at the Florida school. So anyone willing to take freedoms for that is just a bad person. Yes there are lessons but sometimes the lesson is carry on in life.

19. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

I'm just going to add that I heard about this from here and only here... today. Nothing came up in my Google News feed, YouTube, etc. No one brought it up at work. I decided to check the Dungeon for the first time in months and found this thread. That's pretty telling.

20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I’m right handed but left eye dominant. With a pistol, I shoot with both eyes open and just cock my head a bit to make it work. With a rifle, I usually close my left eye, but with a red dot scope, I can do this little trick where I close the left eye, acquire the reticle with the right, then open the left again. As long as I keep my right eye lined up with the reticle, it sort of projects it into the field of view of my left. It’s like a real life first person shooter video game!

Fonda Dix likes this.