1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some broken truck advice

Discussion in 'General' started by Metalhead, May 21, 2019.

1. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

They can still be rebuilt. They just won't respond to flushing or trans in a can.

2. joec

joec brace yourself

When I was just starting to drive, if someone gave me a truck, the trans, and the parts I needed with some direction and advice i would have grabbed a friend or 2 and made it happen.

As in as juniors and seniors we did all kinds of stupid stuff in our driveways. autos to 3speeds, motor swaps.... Half the kids I hung around with worked on cars.. though the other half was useless. Lol

ducnut likes this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I did a fluid filter swap on my Electra 225 on the side of a street in the snow. Now I'd hire someone :D

joec likes this.
  4. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Who cares what the re-sale value is if you don't plan on selling it????? I've never understood these types of statements.

cav115 likes this.
  5. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

It's like you people don't know who this guy is! I say DIY. The post reassembly write up will be awesome!

6. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I ain't doing it. ZERO patience for this type shit. All I'd get accomplished is bloody knuckles, an aching back, a sore throat from yelling out swearwords, and a bill from my neighbor who needs new siding because my tools are stuck in it. Fuck that.

StaccatoFan, joec and BigBird like this.
  7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

How many sets of Vise-Grips you got?

8. Phl218

Phl218 .

buddy with a PF had his done under a recall.

9. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Including the ones on the neighbors roof?

joec and pickled egg like this.
  10. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

An image of a slightly more hillbilly version of homer simpson going on a rage fest and throwing stuff just popped into my head. It made me giggle. outloud.

So your useless in the sac...er garage. OK New plan. Give truck to teen driver as is. Also give him internet connection and tel him if he wants to drive it he can pull the trans and youll help pay to rebuild it.

Win win. You get the joy of watching your offspring curse and bleed form the knuckles while sipping PBR. He gets a free car and the joy of working on his first car. Hollywood cant script father-son time like this.

EDIT - seems like you missed the boat on this one....
    https://www.ncconsumer.org/news-art...ssan-over-failed-radiators-transmissions.html

StaccatoFan, Phl218 and badmoon692008 like this.
  11. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

Should have gotten something in the mail when this was going on...too late now. I received multiple mailings on the Tacoma corrosion recall. Maybe because this was just a settlement and not a recall?

12. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Wut.

BigBird likes this.
  13. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I was literally rendered speechless by his public admission. That doesn't happen often.

14. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

The transmissions are very hardy if not contaminated; just pull the pan and check @ salvage yard.

But you do have to weigh cost/plan for vehicle/ risk.

15. crusty9r

crusty9r Human Lawn Dart

Find an independent transmission shop. If nissans are really bad about this, they will already know what to do. I had quotes of $5200(aamco "soft parts only") and $4800(diesel shop) for my Excursion before I had Jason's transmissions in Chattanooga do it for <$2000 with a one year warranty.

ducnut likes this.
  16. BigBird

BigBird blah

In my experience, almost all rebuilt automatic transmissions never feel as good as the original, unless from the OEM. i would just junk the truck.

Gino230 likes this.
  17. Phl218

Phl218 .

put full coverage on it and park it on white horse rd

18. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Have you tried reaching out to Nissan? Seems like this is a well known issue. I had a known issue on another vehicle where they had extended the warranty, I was about 10k out of the extended period but GMC covered it anyway.

Edit...forgot its 12 years old and you’re probably on your own. Still what’s the worst they can say, “no”...you’re used to that. ;)

19. FZ1guy

FZ1guy Hey...watch this

Get one at the junkyard from a wrecked truck with low miles.
    Search on car-part dot com

gpz11 and ducnut like this.
  20. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Not true, many rebuilt ones are better than new. Particularly ones from People like Jasper or other outfits that put a 36month/100k warranty on them.