1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Credit increases

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Nov 18, 2018.

1. John Branch

John Branch 90125

Debit card is all I have used for 18 years now. Yes I have had my #s stolen 4 or 5 times now! Not a problem with chase . So far !?! At gas pumps I say credit and use my zip code.

2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Yep. It took a transaction denial and a lower approval amount to blow the lid off of my AmEx business account. Have no idea what the limit is now. What's it take to get a black card?

3. Whycome 2 cards? What’s the extra benefit? Helps credit score?

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

A lot. To keep it is even harder.

5. Phl218

Phl218 .

Just keep the Delta AMEX

Don’t worry about
    The other crumbs

The
    Miles and the companion flight
    Are the shit, plus car insurance and lounge access.

Gorilla George likes this.
  6. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I thought it was something like an average of 200-250k a month.

7. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Yes, but also not every location accepts Amex. Or Discover.

Also different accounts can help you separate work/personal or personal/hobby.

8. d_alexand

d_alexand Well-Known Member

I've been doing the points thing for a few years now. I watched a few videos from "The Points Guy" and someone else showing how they fly for free. You gotta stay pretty disciplined with the cards, but its worth it in the end.

9. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

I think it's funny that he's posted this.
    The maximum is 850.

Sorry, Broome, I've got 820 according to my last Discover card statement.
    You aren't winning.... :D

TurboBlew and Marid2apterbilt like this.
  10. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

It is not a bad thing.

11. d_alexand

d_alexand Well-Known Member

If you end up getting a 2nd card and stop using the AMEX, they'll probably raise your limit again to entice you to start using it or transfer your balance.

Did you get a points bonus with the AMEX Delta Reserve? If not, make sure your next card offers a 60k or more points bonus, and can transfer points to your airline of choice.

12. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Credit karma is not a true FICO score. It is free and ok to track your accts though.

13. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

FICO algorithms want to see 3 credit cards, a mortgage, and an installment loan of sorts for maximum scoring.

Keeping overall CC utilization under 9% is key for scoring, and obviously not an issue for you. You should however, carry a small balance on 1 CC. A $5 balance will boost your score.

Since you're new to CC's, you will have a short history and your AAoA will be low. The more accts you add, the lower your AAoA.
    But time will fix that. Time fixes almost everything in the credit game.

14. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

I'm with Broome, I haven't had a credit card in ten years and my credit score is 800 just like his. Why the fuck do I need anything more than that? What prize do you get for having an 800+ credit score?

15. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

The same prize you get for beating the guy on the elliptical next to you ... that doesn’t know you’re racing. :D

16. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

I only read the OP, so excuse the redundance.

No financial institution wants to create bad debts for itself. If you get thrown into jail because you don't have money to pay off your debt the bank doesn't gain anything. They have algorithms; they run your numbers through them and if you seem like someone who could increase his credit spending (technically using the bank's money) with a high probability of paying it back on time OR a LITTLE late then they increase the limit.

Institutions give high credit limits to those who can pay it off, not to people who will borrow the money and never be able to pay it back. So if anything this will improve, or worst case scenario, not affect your credit rating.

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Better APR if/ when you want/need to borrow money. Buy a new house, buy a new car, etc.
    Truth is everything above 800 is ball tub and finger in your butthole while you get a handjob. Doesn't matter but it doesn't totally suck.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    TurboBlew and Phl218 like this.
  18. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Which one do you have? I've had the platinum for a while but now that i'm not hitting diamond every year i'm thinking about getting the select card for the free lounge access. I think it's $450 a year for the card though.

19. :D

Dude, after college my shit was down way under 600. I had hell getting it back.

I’ve never seen anywhere near 850. At one point it was almost 820, then it took a big hit when I got this card. But it’s going back up now.

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Chris, why two? Rick mentioned one reason (just in case some place does not take amex) but also so you can negotiate better deals on some things (watches for example) and also just as an insurance policy. There's also the perks you can get if you shop around.

You don't need a black card but there are some real good perks and freebies you can snag with the right card for your world.