1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official 2019 MotoAmerica silly season thread.

Discussion in 'General' started by 418, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Gawd, I hope it isn't a buy a ride like a lot (most?) moto2 rides. Still, I think he do the deed well enough in moto2.

2. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

No, an Aprilia team did it too. In the US.

I don't recall KTM shutting down Red Bull Rookies in the middle of a season

3. stk0308

I'd love to see him on a good Moto2 team.

4. stk0308

He's going to have to adjust his salary requirements. As I understand it, he wanted to be paid at the same rate he was when he left AMA superbike, or even when he left roadracing entirely, depends on the story. I doubt that's going to happen. Honestly, I'm not all that jazzed to see him back. If he's really that damaged, I don't see him being that fast. He's been out for quite a long time now also. You don't stay out of roadracing this long, then just jump back to the front of the field. Even in a "thin" class as MA superbike.

5. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

I'd love to see Spies at it again. if he is healthy, I think he would be on the podium rather quickly.

eppy01f4i and Gorilla George like this.
  6. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

It'd bring in fans. I've mostly ignored American superbike racing since his departure. I think he could be competitive. It's not like he hasn't stayed active. Just not on the race track.

7. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

Hayes back in the game would be good too.

5axis, 418 and Gorilla George like this.
  8. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

he might have more high-end electronics experience than the majority of the Moto2 grid. with the new spec, that could be very helpful in the first year. so that could be cool.

9. Spies isn’t THAT old, hasn’t been away THAT long, and has constantly been on 2 wheels the whole time.

IMO, if he was on a factory backed team, and got some good preseason testing done, he would immediately battle for podiums and wins.

turbulence likes this.
  10. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

Spies? Hayes? The world moves forward, not backward. Fer chrissakes, isn't there anyone good coming through? Hey, I wonder what KRJR's up to, he was a world #1 a while ago, right? We need to be sending a fire breathing 19 year old to Moto2 to teach those people some damn manners and the words to the Star Spangled Banner.

badmoon692008, stk0308 and Motofun352 like this.
  11. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

KTM didn’t pull out mid-season, they instead pulled right before season started, and after all the kids had been told that they had the rides. Btw, KTM didn’t shut down RBR, but Red Bull did since they had no bikes available to them, or at least a manufacturer providing bikes and support.

12. stk0308

While I agree with the living in the past commentary. Sending a 19 year old to moto2 would be almost too late. They need to be in moto3 at 16, like the rest of the field, to get the experience, and exposure.

zrx12man likes this.
  13. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Methinks JD is going to get Herrin'd in Moto2.

nitto182 and 418 like this.
  14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Wouldn't be surprising....is that basically what Joe Roberts got done to him? No clue about the quality of the team that he's been riding for.

mike998b likes this.
  15. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I think a US rider would need to bring a US-based title sponsor to a Moto2 team in order to be given a fair shot. Herrin's interview on BrotoGP of his experience at a Moto2 team leads me to believe that there's some nationalism going on that would really prevent a US rider from having a real shot at success in Moto3 or Moto2.

spoon32, Banditracer and stangmx13 like this.
  16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Of course.....if you're not Spaniard or at the very least Italian then you're likely looked at as persona non grata.

17. FourThreeSix

FourThreeSix Well-Known Member

Roberts is signed up with a solid team for next year.

18. RS250Ape

RS250Ape Well-Known Member

Isn't Roberts taking Sam Lowe's vacated seat?

19. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

Cool to see Westby with a new brand. Aprilia have been trying to put together a squad for two years now so hopefully they have their budget figured out for Westby's sake.

20. This is the "MotoAmerica silly season" thread...not the "who should we send to Moto2" thread.

turbulence likes this.