1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retiring after 24 years. Time to get to the track!

Discussion in 'General' started by Repeater, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

I'm actually at 23, but will be retiring from the reserves next year. I'm buying myself a present. I sold my 600 a few years ago after my first kid was born. Life insurance policy is large, and my need to corner low is great. It will also take me sometime to get back in shape. not sure how my body will take to even 4 or five laps in a meat bag.

I'm older and surely slower so I would like recommendations on the right little bike. KTM390, Yamica R3, Ninja?

I will be looking for a used bike or a track ready bike. My first choice is the KTM. Just worried about the reliability of a single on the track.

Thanks fellas I haven't been on the Beeb in a long time.

2. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

I'll be the first to say it:

SV650.

3. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

I agree, but it is to fast. I need sub 100Mph, and tires that will last more than a couple of track days. With My GSX-r and F4i I was killing D209s every couple of trackways when I stepped up to the "A" group.

Slow bike fast 40 HP range, a couple grand in suspension, and controls.

If I ever rebuild my T500 It would be interesting to track an all drum brake bike. On a hill the brakes won't hold the bike from rolling back.

4. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

If you're just going to be doing track days to cruise around and get your track riding fix, then buy whatever floats your boat. Buy a used track ready bike as it will be a lot cheaper than buying new and making it track ready.

5. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

I will eventually be doing some sprints. I had my racing license before I stopped.

SV would be ideal damit by the time this thread is done I'll have an RSV..........

The bike has to be mostly analog. I have no desire for that new fangled electronica stuff.

Metalhead likes this.
  6. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

ls650j.jpg

7. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Ninja 300...i had the 2008 250R and loved It!

Congratulations on retirement!! I hit 7 years AD in Oct. 13 more seems so far out! :eek:

8. Chango

Chango Something clever!

You may be the first person in the modern era of motorcycles to say that an SV is too fast. SV tires may not last a full season like 250-300 tires, but they will last more than a weekend. Plus, I know a guy selling an 03...

Tj Hunter and Gorilla George like this.
  9. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

The last line just earned you wads of respect from me.

10. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Congrats on your retirement, and welcome back to the fast lane!

11. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

I picked up a decently sorted 2005 SV back in 2011 to get back on the track. I don’t have a lot of talent and I’m a bit big for this sport (currently 262 lbs) but it’s easy on tires and I can usually find someone to race with because the combined classes mean the fast 300 guys are eating my lunch. I raced 600’s way back in the day and didn’t want to get into the cycle of obsolescence due to the pace of new bike development. Also, I’m lazy as hell and got tired of shifting so much.

12. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Sv tires will last a long time, several weekends at novice pace.
    The r3 is good and there's lots of info, the only downside to those are being on a 300 at a trackday can't be that much fun.. Racing it is though

BigBird likes this.
  13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Racing or track days? Little bikes suck at track days because you spend all day getting bombed by novices on high hp bikes.

I vote for a well set up 600, one generation back from the current bikes.

jd41, BigBird, dave3593 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Did you get it yet? :D

15. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Screw it. Just get a Panigale V4 and be done with it.

But seriously, the current 600s haven't had many major mechanical updates in over a decade in some cases. As much as I love me some GSXRs, it really hasn't changed much since 2006. The R6 hasn't needed an update since 2008 because it still keeps winning championships all over the world, but they did slap some ugly new bodywork on it last year. Honda's last major overhaul of the CBR was 2007 with an update in 2009 and new bodywork in 2013. I think Kawi has done more work more recently with the Ninja, but who wants a motorcycle with a name instead of alphanumeric vomit?

As much as I think OP should seriously consider a clapped out 2003 SV that was spray painted black by a previous owner and currently for sale in the Little Rock, AR area, a 5-10 year-old 600 would also be a reasonable choice.

16. HotbodiesRacing

HotbodiesRacing Well-Known Member

17. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

No.
    Only up to a clapped out 600...

Ill detour the thread by suggesting a Slingshot Suzuki 1100, since he wants to stay away from new fangled elec-o-tronic-o-s.

That should be good for 3-4 more pages and maybe then we'll go from 300cc to a modern eye-talian superbike.

18. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Go SV dude. I'm old and retired as well after 24 (been done since 2010). Not sure why you'd think an Sv will be running over 100 much...only a few places in the SE tracks that will get you in top gear at redline and topped out...and even then...not a big deal. They are not exactly HP monsters. AND even better, still very simple with no fancy electrickery to deal with...simple FI and reliable.

If you go 300...do the R3, more parts are available for those than anything else. The KTM is finicky and needs attention to get the best from it. If you decide to race the 300s , be prepared to be embarrassed by the kids racing these things...they are running times very close to SVs (with equal riders). Either way...you will be paying way more to get into these than a nicely sorted out SV. Good luck finding whatever and congrats on retirement.

Metalhead and ToofPic like this.
  19. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

20. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Don't get a RC390. They had tons of reliability issues with the engines. Unless you're going to buy a new one, get a ninja 300 or an R3. If you're not in a hurry, I'll probably have my R3 race bike for sale in the fall when this season's over.

Tj Hunter and Senna like this.