1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any watch lovers here????

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

I had the TV on this morning while I was making breakfast and a PGA pre-game show came on. During that show I saw a commercial for this watch:
    [​IMG]
    I kinda like it (Omega fanboy here). :D

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

That just reminds me I need to send mine back in to get fixed and serviced. :(

3. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

Dave, your post a while back about looking like a homeless person while looking at (and wearing) a Rolex reminded me of my last visit to an Omega Boutique (Roseville, CA). This was last December. I walked in and started looking at the watches on display.

"Can I help you sir?"

"No. I'm just looking."

"Have you ever bought an Omega watch before?" (I can't really blame them for this question because they are in the middle of a huge mall and must get many lookie-loos who have no idea what these watches sell for)

I pull up the sleeve of my sweatshirt and show her my titanium on leather Speedmaster.

"That's a very nice watch! What else would you like to see? Let me give you my card and a new Omega catalog. Is there anything that I can help you with today? Would you like a handie right now? (okay, that last part isn't true :D)

Phl218 likes this.
  4. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

If all that green was red, i could get into that...

5. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

Where you sending yours? Mine also needs to be fixed and serviced.

6. Turbotech

Turbotech Well-Known Member

Haven't worn a watch regularly for over ten years. You guys sucked me in with this thread. I'm still a auto mechanic but have a bit cleaner wrenchin job now, and having a watch on all day helps keep me on task.

My issue is I have expensive taste and like high quality stuff, on a mechanics budget.

SNK809 on a Barton Jetson Nato. Small for my wrist but makes for a nice working with your hands in tight spots watch. Have a double dome Sapphire crystal on the way from crystal times. Bought a press and tool set and Im going to try swapping myself.

If that goes well then next on list is a 007-009 to mod out with crystal, bezel, hands and maybe a face. Anyone have a beater 007-9 they want to sell cheap? Seems like a waste to by a whole new one just to swap stuff out.

[​IMG]

ChemGuy likes this.
  7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I'm thinking a bastardized 007 with a 009 bezel and something like seiko 5 hands on a nato.

Curse you f@ckers and your seiko speak! :D

8. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Now now, little buddy.

Just think of how many Seiko's you can own for the price of one Panerai? You could wear a different Seiko every day for a month...

9. Turbotech

Thinking of using this stuff.

Bezel insert, will be on stock polished bezel though.
    www.dlwwatches.com/collections/ceramic-bezel-inserts/products/ceramic-insert-007-sub-vintage-black-mk2
    Or this one, I keep flipping
    https://www.dlwwatches.com/collections/ceramic-bezel-inserts/products/ceramic-insert-007-smp

Hands, white hour, red minute to tie in with the red triangle on bezel. and silver with red tip second.
    https://www.dlwwatches.com/collections/hands/products/hands-mercedes?variant=32692421958

Chapter ring
    www.dlwwatches.com/collections/chapter-rings/products/c-r-skx007-matt-silver-w-markers

Already ordered this crystal CT037cis for sloped bezel inserts.

www. crystaltimes.net/shop/all/modern-divers/ct037/

We'll see how it goes, going to order stuff here and there and find the combo I really like then order the watch last.

Basically want to build this, but with minute markers on chapter ring and red minute hand.

[​IMG]

Phl218 and cha0s#242 like this.
  10. Turbotech

And damn you all for giving me another hobby I cant afford.

Phl218 likes this.
  11. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Looks like someone chamfered the lugs on that case as well. Looks good. I have that bezel and crystal in my dresser. Just waiting to get the motivation to install them.

12. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Damn, I really like that. How much is a build like that worth ? Is it hard do the work yourself ?

13. C-Par

C-Par Well-Known Member

I really like that build to boot. I got a older Seiko SNK007 just to try a couple years ago and its one of my favorites. You can't find them cheap anymore.

Turbotech, would you be willing to build another if yours works out.

That look is awesome.

14. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Replacing the bezel takes a pocket knife and thin double sided tape (if you're cheap and don't buy a precut jobber). Super easy.

Replacing the crystal requires a press (only $15ish on amazon) and some tools to get the case back off (another $15ish on amazon), but is otherwise super easy as well.

My only gripe with the sub-style bezel and domed crystal is that they don't line up. There's a small lip where the ID of the bezel meets the crystal. I'm used to it now, but my OCD was flaring up when I first realized it. Maybe I need a new bezel to match the insert/crystal combination.

upload_2018-7-13_9-23-0.png

Phl218 and cha0s#242 like this.
  15. PATBAROK

PATBAROK I <3 Poontang

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You may get me in trouble...I can always use another Nicky Tissot...

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Guess I'll be playing with the Seiko idea, Amazon has the 009 for $180.

JBraun and ChemGuy like this.
  18. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

Bought this cheap Invicta on prime day and at first was disappointed cause I get like it was too small when I opened the box but was pleasantly pleased once I put it on my wrist. Not bad for $47. (It's the automatic version vs the quartz one). They have another that's like 48mm but I feel like that may be too big. I like something in the 42-44mm. I have a Hamilton Khaki King that's roughly this size.

9AEAE8EE-99C3-47E2-8448-F0264903F505.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    Phl218 likes this.
  19. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

I have a Seiko monster that's midly modded. I've been meaning to change the face and likely will as that's the watch that the movement stopped working. I can buy a new watch for the movement for $60. Need a new chapter ring for like $12 and if I'm feeling crazy get sapphire glass for it too. I'll have to get a pic of it as it sits.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

009 showed up as did the Nicky Tissot. Haven't told the boss about the 009 but she saw the Nicky.... :eek:

SteveThompson and EngineNoO9 like this.