1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sad news

Discussion in 'General' started by SmokeSignalRT, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I just saw this on FB... Goddammit.

I'm a bad mix of angry and sad right now. Kurt was one of the nicest, most down to earth people I've met over the years. I feel so bad for Diedre and his children. This stuff keeps hitting closer and closer to home.

I'm trying to remember when I first met him. I think it was Road Atlanta, actually, while I was still racing in the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast. On more than one occasion, he would offer up one of his rides for others, just so they wouldn't miss the race, or so they could join in the fun.

Killswitch and Metalhead like this.
  2. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Kurt, I know you are reading this from up above. You are truly one of the best friends I have ever had, the most caring family man, and a caring soul that affected all you have met.
    Can’t count how many times you offered me your racebike if mine was in bad shape.
    But to show all here who you and Dee are, when I had my near fatal crash at Rd Atlanta, Dee raced my wife Kathy to the scene. Kurt and Dee rushed to the hospital to look out for Kathy and me. They had to buy the kids dinner from a vending machine to stay with us. I can never repay your unselfish kindness.
    So proud to be a member of Team Yo and love that picture Smoke posted of the Yo 250 endurance team at Tally on Kurt’s 250. The team was/is family: Stick, Smoke, me and Kurt.
    Love to you and your family. We, WERA, and all touched by you will never be the same.

XACT-Man, tiggen, stickboy274 and 8 others like this.
  3. bigtime

bigtime Well-Known Member

That was my experience as well. I just wanted to share. One of my first track days at Tally, going through tech as a novice, nervous about filling out paper work, getting to tech, not missing the meeting, getting my tent and few tools(I didnt have shit) sorted etc. walked the bike to tech and saw this dude in a cowboy hat cutting up with everyone. He had the Yo! Bikes under the overhang with everybody. Seeing me trying to fumble my way through everything he walked over, said nice bike and helped through tech. He was talking to me as I pushed back to my pit. We got there and he helped me put the bike on the stands and says hey man do you have any tire warmers? I said no sir my first time and just trying to get experience didn't think I needed them. He didn't say one word, walked to his bike, pulled his off and says here use these. I was blown away, he didn't know me from Adam, but that's the kind of guy he is.

Condolences and prayers to the family.

4. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Damn that sucks big time. RIP Kurt.

5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I think I've got that pic somewhere. It seems pretty universal...he was always the first guy to make you welcome at the track, whether a noob or veteran. I was just chatting with him a couple of weeks ago about 250 stuff. Just damn.

Metalhead likes this.
  6. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Sorry to the family for their loss. To the WERA community also for losing one of their own. God speed...Racer. RIP.

7. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Godspeed, racer. He let me race his ninjette at Nashville when we barely knew each other.

8. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Damn. that's a sucker punch to the nuts.

RIP Kurt.

9. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

RIP buddy.

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I can't believe this. On Thanksgiving Day. Just wrong.

11. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

12. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

So senseless and sad. A senseless mistake by a stranger, and a family forever changed.

Sadly, I never had the chance to meet him in person, but he was always good natured with me on the beeb, even when someone posted his pic (the one with the chainsaw on the log) and asked me if I thought he was hot.

My condolences to Deidre, his family and friends.

RIP Kessler.
    :(

13. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

My heart hurts for those kids. Prayers for all his friends and family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Kurt was one of the finest individuals you would ever meet. When I was racing we had our racing family... and Kurt was the center of it.

My family and his grew close and we usually did Thanksgiving together in Florida. We spoke on Wednesday after he posted an old Thanksgiving photo of the two of us on Facebook. I asked if he was coming this year... absolutely heartbroken.

scottn, fixerflyer, tiggen and 2 others like this.
  15. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

God damnit. I’m just gutted. What a great dude. We only saw each other about once a year these days but we always just picked up right where we left off. Super nice guy and genuine ambassador to the sport. Willing to let people ride his bikes and would go above and beyond to help folks out.

Your 45% friend is gonna miss you man. Godspeed racer

Metalhead likes this.
  16. Repo Man 32

Repo Man 32 Lifetime Member

Dammmm.... We are a Band of Brothers and this is crushing news... We all know the risks on track, but driving home from Thanksgiving?? Godspeed to a much Loved man...

17. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

18. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

This is heartbreaking to see.

Godspeed Kurt.

noles19 likes this.
  19. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Horrible news. Will be missed greatly. RIP

20. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba