1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Rules for 2018 Bikes not points

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by kenessex, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Harry V. III

Harry V. III Well-Known Member

2 of the largest motorcycle events in the country are vintage events. WERA run Mid Ohio and AHRMA Barber. Festivals with swap meets and numerous types of races. Both have limited modern classes. Thousands of people attending because of old motorcycles.

VFR#52 and V5 Racer like this.
  2. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Agreed. But like Mongo said those are one off events.

3. Harry V. III

Harry V. III Well-Known Member

My point is maybe there should be more of this type event.

V5 Racer likes this.
  4. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

If you build it, they will come. I would propose Three big events for WERA like Mid O, Cycle Jam and the VIR event but they are all too close to each other sadly

5. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Probably just me and I may or may not race it, I just want the option. That being the case it wouldn't hurt or possibly change anything to let them in. But, if somebody else has one it might increase the grid.

Remember, WERA started vintage with 2 classes, under 500cc and over 500cc. I think it then went to under 500, 650 and 750. We could just go back to those classes.

6. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

I'm ok with the double header. Especially for the liter bike guys who can't race up a class.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I understand your thinking and agree for the most part. But there is also a point where we could do all double headers and actually pay the bills. We could also run slightly longer races if we cut some of the small stuff and charge more for them more than offsetting the loss of entries from the lighter classes.

However, WERA is still about having a place for most everyone to race and whenever we think about this kind of thing that is part of the consideration.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup:

I don't do that since they went from Heinz to their own brand :D

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Events being the most important part of that. Doing events that large every weekend however is not sustainable. Those large events are great but they do take away from the smaller race weekends for all of us because a large portion of the yearly budget goes to them. Understandable and just the way things are right now, we need to figure out a way to adapt to the new reality just like we do with modern stuff and trackdays.

V5 Racer likes this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There can only be so many. Too many events like that and you lose money. The Barber festival being when it is absolutely hurts the GNF for example - with Vintage rider turnout and spectator turnout. People only have so much money they're willing to spend per month or year. They won't attend 10 huge expensive events a year but they'll hit 2 or 3 no problem.

rd400racer likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I do think we have too many classes most every weekend.... :D

12. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

So true, V1 and v2 for example have the same one person in both classes.... have a 250 class and under class and 500 and under as one class and so on... or something like that might work...

13. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

I am a little older. When I started racing WERA (it was ERA in those days, pre-merger with WRA) there was one class for vintage bikes, "Thumper/Vintage" open to all bikes of model year 1967 and prior and all single cylinder machines. There was a 5 bike minimum to run the class, so we had to lobby our competitors in advance to make sure we had enough entries before going to the track. I started in that class with a Ducati Sebring 350. Vintage racing has grown since that time. The challenge is how to sustain it into the future so the classics are not forgotten.

14. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

If I pull one plug on my V1 motor, can I run in the 250 and under class?

15. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Just get a R6 and grid up in V1, no one will ever know...

:D

16. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

HA, I thought about buying an R6

to run in FSS tho.

V5 Racer likes this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We couldn't get 250's to show up in 250GP, why would I bother with another class for no bikes?

james walker likes this.
  18. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Given how large those events are I have to wonder why so few of the vintage guys come race with WERA at the regular weekends?

VFR#52 likes this.
  19. terminus est

terminus est Be prepared

V7 is a SB class

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

My guess is he's now thinking about allowing the other stuff in with SS rules. Which would be fine for not killing off the Hondas currently in there but useless as no one would be competitive on the newer SS spec stuff. At which point they leave the bikes right where they are sitting in the basement.