1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Rules for 2018 Bikes not points

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by kenessex, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

I'll be there. Haven't been there since 2013 so I got my work cut out for me. I see it either way as far as the competition...I mean, at least he's supporting the class, not his fault nobody else is giving him any competition.

TLR67 and VFR#52 like this.
  2. lanehammond

lanehammond Well-Known Member

True. it should be fun

TLR67 and VFR#52 like this.
  3. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Mongo,
    Any thoughts on allowing all ironheads, except the XR1000, into V3? from what I can gather from asking Ironhead experts on another sportster specific forum, theredoesn't appear to be much if any performance potential difference between the 900 and the 1000. I think it makes sense to allow them all except the XR1000, which has dual carbs and better breathing.

Thanks

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Works for me if there are no objections.

5. kenessex

Cool, lets give it a while to see if any V3 people have input, and then go from there. Thanks.

6. VintageRacerRoy

VintageRacerRoy Well-Known Member

If BMW and MG are allowed out to 1000cc, and some of those come out which are currently racing with the other organization, they will have a performance advantage over most of the current V3 machines.

7. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I can tell you how that came to be. It was an innocent rules adjustment and then Triumph brought a new bike out after the rules were in place.

There was a Triumph 955 racing (basically a streetbike), not much it would fit in. Under SS rules it was allowed in HWT. A couple of years later, Triumph replaced the slow 650 with the hotrod 675. If 955 in SS trim is legal, a 675 is also.

On the rolling years, V7 used to be rolling years. When it got to a year that was going to be a problem, the rules changed to '95. For now, let V8 do it's thing. If it gets big enough, or comes to a place that is a problem, it can be changed.

As far as bumping up grids in a single class, that's really narrow minded and will not help. The goal should be to bump up all classes. If the modern stuff gets bigger like it was, that will make some people want smaller classes to race in. They will find an old bike and come down to the obsolete classes. That's what made V6/7 big in the past. Don't focus on your friends with old bikes, focus on getting anyone with a bike out. The rest will take care of itself.

V5 Racer and VFR#52 like this.
  8. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Stop being so mature and calm with your responses. Mark no likey...

:D

VFR#52 and stickboy274 like this.
  9. stickboy274

Sorry, So I have this bike that needs a class for just it so I can get a new #1 plate.........

Better?

james walker, VFR#52 and Stumpy like this.
  10. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Much betterer...

VFR#52 likes this.
  11. kenessex

Given the size of the grids, I would welcome whoever wanted to come out. If that makes a BMW or MG the overdog, that is fine. I don't think a 1000cc Ironhead Sportster would ever be the bike of choice, I just have one and if I did want to race it, as a 1000 it didn't legally fit in V3 with the current rules.

12. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Stick you make it sound like I need to choose a PiƱa Colada or a Margaritta! Ok I will have one of each..:beer:

Killswitch likes this.
  13. stickboy274

When the options are pina colada or margarita, both is the correct answer.

TLR67 likes this.
  14. VintageRacerRoy

VintageRacerRoy Well-Known Member

Then race V4

Duck150 likes this.
  15. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

V4 definitely needs some players.

Duck150 likes this.
  16. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

Just keep in V4 , and maybe show up and really race the bike....

17. Harry V. III

Harry V. III Well-Known Member

Amen brother , bring it on !

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    V5 Racer likes this.
  18. kenessex

Like I have tried to say, this isn't only about me and my bikes, I think it would be better for the class as a whole to allow ironhead sportsters up to 1000cc. If that includes the other pushrod twins, then that would be ok too. I don't race much right now because my summers are short and the closest WERA races are Grattan and Mid-Ohio and that is pushing 13 to 15 hrs for me. I don't like to drive that far anymore. I also already have a v4 bike with the Seca 550. I also have a V1 CB350, a V2 Ascot 500, a V5 FZ600 and an SV650. This is not about me trying to find a cherry picking class to create an overdog for, I have plenty of race ready bikes for plenty of classes. I will race more when I retire in a couple of years.

V5 Racer and VFR#52 like this.
  19. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Oh please.
    Stop trying to get more bikes on grid.
    That goes against the trend. Lol.
    Im just giving youba hard time sir.
    Thanks for al least making suggestion to help get more guys to race.
    Not up on those bikes.
    But a brave man to ride any old Harley on track.
    Just keeping bolts and nuts on bike is challange.
    But vintage needs fresh ideals to help make it grow.
    All classes suffer with low turn out.
    And suggestions and new ideals are Needed.
    Thank you.

Steven Isenhower #52

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

How many 1000cc iron heads are out there ready to race but with no class for them?

VFR#52 likes this.