1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm sure this has been discussed, buuuuuuut. School me on smokers

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Sep 5, 2017.

1. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I put like 3 big chunks in at the bottom and some smaller bits near the top and it's gone 12+ hours with no problems.

AND I still have over half my charcoal load still there :D

Where do you get new probes? I need a couple.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, any water in them and they're junk. I went to a ThermoWorks Smoke setup. All the testing I saw has their probes at basically waterproof although of course they'll never say that. Just got the Smoke Gateway to play with next time I use it at home :D

One huge thing for all cooking is thermometers. I've had nothing but great products and service out of ThermoWorks, won't buy the cheaper stuff ever again.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

On the original subject... Just picked up 3 shoulders (25 or so pounds total) to take to the MA race at Barber. Figure since I've only got one round on track mid day Saturday the rest of my day will be well spent taking the cheapo Home Depot (Brinkman maybe?) propane smoker with me and making food. Got a number 10 can of Bushs baked beans too. Just have to get some slaw (haven't made any of my own I really like yet) and some buns and we'll have dinner for a few peeps :D

4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

that would explain it... I try and do a lot of cooks overnight, even if it's not raining they'll get wet with dew.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I kept losing my smoker probes - never thought twice about leaving them in the smoker in between uses and it of course sits outside on the deck in the weather.... Doh!

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Well you get your green egg up to about 5 gazillion degrees and then drop the Velveeta directly on the coals. The resulting fireball will likely burn those worthless sensors you pretend are taste buds. Get another box of Velveeta and much away. You won't be able to taste the difference.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  7. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Yeah, whatever

8. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Need a recipe?

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nah, not right now. I'll hit you up when I've got some time at home to try it again.

Main issue is finding one the boss and I both like too. She's into creamier/watery stuff and I like more cabbagey.

10. splyn

splyn Well-Known Member

i acquired a Weber Smoky Mountain last year. Charcoal. Throw in a few chunks of hardwood and let her sit. If i want a pain in the ass, i can keep the temp at around 220. If i want to drink a beer and all that comes with that, itll maintain 230-270 on its own till it needs some more charcoal. can fit 2 racks of ribs easily, 4 if you get creative, or 2 big shoulders/butts. does a damn good brisket too. and great wings. the first few smokes are a learning curve, but once you have a sense for where the vents need to be set at, it pretty much light and forget.

however all smokers need a good temp probe. i got one of these (http://www.maverickhousewares.com/d...eters/#/et-733-wireless-food-thermometer-set/) when i found it on sale. seems good. monitors meat and smoker temperature. OK range.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The Maverick stuff works just keep the probes from being underwater.

12. Tristan

I have 2 Mavericks and 2 cheapos from Lowes and Walmart. The cheapos actually seem to have better range and more robust probes, just less fancy displays.

13. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

You sound like you are too busy to BBQ, at least for a cheaper setup. Save your money and just use your oven. My grandma makes a pretty good brisket but she always cuts it with the grain. :eek:

14. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

I have had the wifi Flame Boss for a few years and it has been great. My Egg is under a very small covered porch, so if it rains it gets wet.
    I have left the Flame boss outside over night many times without issue.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

FWIW - it's not the thermometer itself, just the probes. I run my smoker temp probe in through the vent on the top (which is flat) so the water would run down the wire and into the probe. Could have easily been cured by just making a drip loop in the wire before the probe but I didn't think of it until the 3rd one :D

16. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

This is the one I have and it works great for my needs. I have to split the flat and point on a 20lb brisket to fit but I can do 2 pork butts and all kinds of other things. I thought I wanted one with a window but they fog up anyway and become useless.

https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20070910-30-Inch-Electric-Controller/dp/B00104WRCY?th=1

I've used this thermometer with good results, I like that it has two probes and you can set the target temps individually.

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-6741-S...r=1-4-catcorr&keywords=weber+meat+thermometer

17. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

That is good to know. I have never run my wires in through the top, always the side but the felt ring on the egg I guess allows for that.
    I do always wrap the wire up to the end of the probe with foil. I do a couple layers and this always helps to avoid hurting it during flare ups or anything over 450 degrees. I have found the wire/probe connection to be the vulnerable area.

18. moregsxrs

moregsxrs Well-Known Member

19. Tristan

is that the leanest brisket flat ever or what is it?

20. moregsxrs

moregsxrs Well-Known Member

Tri-tip