1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP | Brno | Czech Republic | Aug 6, 2017

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Jul 31, 2017.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, but of all the riders it could have happened to, you knew it was going to be him or Alvaro.

Steeltoe and noles19 like this.
  2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Can they change more than once? If it had started pouring rain with 10 laps left, would they have to pit again or would the race be called? I didn't think a wet wet race could be called for rain.

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yes. But every time you change, the tires have to be different (wet vs. slicks)

4. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Valid point:crackup:

5. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Wonder why didn't Pedrosi didn't have the same strategy? IIRC, he came in after Marquez.

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Marquez picked the wrong with tire. He didn't come in because he planned it but because he had to. His genius was in not forcing the issue.

Bruce and throwdown like this.
  7. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

I thought it was planned, as in the crew knew he would be coming in quickly. Otherwise, why not just start on slicks and give away his secret strategy. I don't watch the post race interviews, did he admit to the wrong choice? Rossi always forced the issue with a wet race, I agree he has never learned.

Ducati is the one that screwed the pooch, IMO. Full rains ... WTF, JLo.

Edit: couldn't change to slicks as the bike was setup for wets. I still think it was planned. Either way brillant strategy or recovery.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    dobr24 and caferace like this.
  8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

He said himself that the soft tire that he chose at the last moment was the wrong one. He was getting no traction under acceleration.

TXFZ1 and Ra.Ge. Raptor like this.
  9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

But I bet this rationale in choosing the soft tire was that he'd be able to use it to blast away from the guys on the hard and build enough of a gap that switching to slicks early wouldn't hurt him.

terminus est likes this.
  10. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

he said that he did not feel well with the medium at the sighting lap and he asked his team to change to soft.

caferace likes this.
  11. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

Why?? It's the same for everyone.

I'm a Rossi fan, but holy shit...he and Yamaha are terrible when it come to decision making. Seems pretty simple to me...once MM pitted he needed to come in. I seriously don't know how they get it so wrong every time. It's a shame too...I think it would have been a good race.

busa99 and turbulence like this.
  12. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Maybe for 2-4th. I don't think anyone had anything for Marquez. Especially going race distance on the medium slicks.

13. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Could it be he had to wait for Vinales to pit first? I did not see any factory team pit on the same lap. Rossi and Dovi still waited an extra lap before coming in to change bikes.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Folger.

rocalotopus likes this.
  15. pickled egg

He should have pitted a lap before Vinales. Or two. Or four.

But he didn't. And the result is the result.

I'm sure knowing what he knows now running a warmup lap with a hand up and making a pit start from his dry bike would have been the smartest way to go.

Phl218 likes this.
  16. pickled egg

10th place and 35 seconds back. He may have rolled off some fast laps at the end of the race but he was nowhere near contention.

17. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Nope. Not the team's fault. Every single time they ever told him to swap bikes he has ignored them. Without fail. The only time I can remember him NOT ignoring his pit board was the mandatory tire change. And that was not weather issue it was track surface. (Philip Island I believe.)

It is most definitely not the team's fault. It's all Rossi.

pscook and turbulence like this.
  18. aaronson

aaronson Well-Known Member

Lorenzo the one lap wonder

V5 Racer and Phl218 like this.
  19. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Didn't Hayden and Stoner run wets at Donnigton in 2009 thinking it was going to rain...and it never rained enough for the wets to work. Sucks when a gamble doesnt work out.

Yep...it was the race Dovi won and CE/RDP were close behind.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  20. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

They said he lost 15 seconds in the pits because his bike wasn't ready. I wonder where that would have put him if they had it together