1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GSX-R 1000 L7 first riding impressions

Discussion in 'General' started by Ra.Ge. Raptor, Feb 6, 2017.

1. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

So pretty much all 1000's come stock with traction control now, so does that mean they have to disable the OEM TC?

2. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

They use a spec Motec ECU that has it disabled.

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

:stupid:

4. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

5. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I must say, if I was in the market for a new 1000, the Suzuki, at this point, would be at the top of my list.

6. Seems they got it right with this one.

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Have they recalled it yet?

8. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

That some cold ass assassin shit there, Papa. :crackup:

9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Shut up.

10. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Give it a week. hard to break frames in half when it's only been journalists riding them.

11. Chip

Chip Registered

12. Chip

Chip Registered

...and I really like the new GSX-R1000...but it looks like an 04 GSX-R750....lol

Attached Files:

• vir3.jpg
      vir3.jpg
      File size:
      112.2 KB
      Views:
  13. I think it is ugly as hell, even in race bodywork (which is rare). Perhaps ugly isn't the right word, more like boring. It just looks boring to me.

It is obvious they have put in a ton of effort and threw the book at it. It may likely be the best Jap Liter bike on the market, but the outside doesn't do the inside any justice.

14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I don't mind the front of it, but for some reason that whole tail section looks completely wrong for the bike....like it was pirated from a leftover parts bin of Ninja 250R bodywork.

15. MRA828

MRA828 Well-Known Member

Is it normal that journalists have color coordinated leathers for a launch? Every pic/vid I've seen of this event has each journalist in custom leathers that (RS Taichi for CU, Spidi for Motorcyclist, etc.) match the new GSX-R1000R color scheme...

16. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Gotta say the R1 still appeals to me as the best Jap bike out. The TFT is well designed, bike design itself looks nicer, and the sound of the Crossplane are big deals to me. Other then my Ape, the R1 and Duc are the only ones close in the character department IMO..

17. If I was going to get a Jap Liter bike, it would still be the R1 due to the power delivery of the crossplane motor. It puts the power down "softer" (for lack of a better term) and more user friendly compared to the screamer I4 motors, and it offers more mechanical grip (almost like a V4).

Comparing the R1 to the Gixxer or ZX10 is sorta like comparing the Triumph 675 to the R6 in terms of power delivery and user friendliness.

I have years of experience on both and I have always said the R6 ultimately has a higher ceiling (potential), but the 675 is more forgiving and easier to ride. Meaning the R6 is ultimately the faster bike, but 95% of riders would go quicker on the 675 "out of the crate".

The R6 requires more focus on the RPMs and has no midrange. The 675 is lighter, has better brakes, is more narrow, has better ergos, more ground clearance, and that motor has more torque than a Gixxer 750.

The "5%'ers" will go faster on the R6, but take someone from the other 95% who has never ridden either of them, and they will initially get up to speed quicker and in the beginning will go faster on the 675 because it is easier to ride and more forgiving.

I kinda feel like the same applies to the Liter bikes. The ZX10 (and likely Gixxer) might have a higher ultimate ceiling, but I feel like the R1 is more forgiving and more riders would get up to speed quicker and go faster on the R1 right out of the gate due to its user friendliness.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  18. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

19. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

@CHa0tic

I can understand that you're talking about the way the power is delivered but we should wait and see if sr-vvt can make the difference . I can't wait for the track shootouts!

But it sure is an ugly bike. It's like they picked up from '04. The R1 is the best looking bike imo. And I have a soft spot for the S1000RR.

20. Damn...that is one bigass exhaust can. :crackup: