1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WERA and the AMA in 2017

Discussion in 'General' started by Mongo, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I sure as heck hope so!!

2. Bburns912

Bburns912 Well-Known Member

Maybe the large list of benefits that an Ama membership includes should be highlighted here, not jut a history lesson of Wera.

The Ama road side assistance saved our ass driving home from tally this year when the ac pump seized half way home.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  3. Phl218

Phl218 .

Ok:
    Why?

Not wanting to act up but seems a bit like a "tax" to me. And everyone knows what happens with taxes.

I rather pay $100 to WERA and have a direct relation to where my money goes or not than being hinted to joining the AMA for $49.

Would I join the AMA if we all got umbrella girls and free tire shine? Nope. Still not.

Pardon my ignorance but I'm still excited that @Metalhead had "huge news" and I'm still waiting for it. And that was last year...

I got 2 other roadside assistances already, so where's the value?

drop likes this.
  4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

The AMA is far from perfect, but there is not an overabundance of organizations that work to protect your rights as a rider. The AMA is one. I joined when I purchased my first street bike in 1981. I'm now a life member.

V5 Racer, stk0308, John29 and 3 others like this.
  5. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

This.

As a motorcycle rider, an AMA membership is somewhat of a necessary cost, for the above reason. At least that's how I view it. As a racer, I'd like to see what the actual benefits are - better events, partnerships, competitive advantage against other orgs like CCS, etc. But I'm sure that will sort itself out.

V5 Racer, DucatiBomber and pscook like this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We get something, not sure what.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah it does mean that and I understand it seems like a lot. We do think it's worth it for all involved including the riders.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Good point, I'll track down the list and post it.

DucatiBomber and Phl218 like this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Because working with the AMA is good for WERA as a whole and good for motorcycling as a whole even if a lot of it is intangible. The AMA does things like keep aftermarket parts legal. Another one as Evelyne mentioned was when the lead ban hit it could have outlawed all minis and smaller bikes geared towards kids, if it weren't for the AMA that would have happened. That would be a huge hit long term for racing on and off road.

We realize it's not going to be something everyone wants or is happy about as they don't feel it pertains to them but it does if you ride and race.

There are other discounts and such that go along with it - you may or may not use any of them in which case it's going to be more a trust us kind of thing that it really is a good idea. I guess if you need to you can look at it as WERA raised the membership fee $49 to benefit WERA and you get an AMA membership included.

Phl218 likes this.
  10. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

Will an AMA membership get me a discount on my WERA membership? :)

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

With this one we're working more towards helping out everyone rather than gaining an advantage over a competitor. There will be more things coming along that will make for better events and so on. It opens some doors for us in streamlining how riders can go pro and the like as well as make our relationship with OEM's even better as we're all working on a united front. Working together also looks good to outside sponsors, we've had a lot of them over the years comment on how the infighting in roadracing was off putting to them.

ekraft84 likes this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Depends on how you want to look at it :D

13. Bugslayer

Bugslayer Well-Known Member

You get a sticker!

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And a pin!

15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

And a magazine and spam...and insurance discounts, some small disability stuff IIRC. I haven't checked in a looooooong time.

16. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

V5 Racer and Phl218 like this.
  17. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

So, for us non-racer types who continue to be AMA members, you're asking that we go through WERA...right?

18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I will say the magazine is something I wish they saved their money on and did without. I read Roadracing World and Autoweek cover to cover, but that one usually goes into the trash within a couple of minutes.

cav115 and obcbr like this.
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You can definitely and it would be cool for us.

20. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

ekraft84 likes this.