1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A new tack on suppressors

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Mongo, Nov 9, 2016.

1. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Yesterday I got to shoot 9mm SBR full auto suppressed. I'll have this raging boner for a week. :D That shit is quiet as hell and just as awesome as I've always daydreamed it would be. Also shot 5.56 full auto, it was more tame than I thought, I was expecting more recoil. And then one of my boyhood dreams finally came true. I shot a suppressed UZI. :cool:

It was a good day.

XFBO and SpeedyE like this.
  2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Please tell me you were cleaning up a sniveling cunt assembly. ;)

3. blkduc

:D

4. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

:clap::clap::clap::rock::clap::clap::clap:

Full-auto is awesome!!!!!

M16/9mm FA? Good gun....only downside, lotta mechanical feel to it, bouncy/weighty/rachetty feel to it. Prone to snapping hammer pins.
    HK MP5....Glass smooth.
    Uzi.....Smooth/slow gun....nice gun. Unbreakable workhorse.

The most quiet and smooth smg is the MP5SD....glass smooth, gun does not move noticeably during firing, and the barrel is ported at the chamber end to bleed off gasses....so it converts non-subsonic 9mm into subsonic. It is awesome.
    If you fire subsonic 9mm through it, it bleeds it down to like a 380.....zero noise, zero movement.

GLad you got to shoot full auto :clap:
    Shooting SBR's is like driving a corvette :rock: .....doing mag-dumps on full-auto is like Frying the tires on a Ferrari :Putter:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  5. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

Again, someone unfamiliar with suppressed rifles. When you're hunting, those gunshots you hear at distance are the supersonic crack, not so much the muzzle report. A silencer muffles the muzzle report, but not the crack. Since most hunters use supersonic rounds for most game anyway, you'd likely not be able to tell the difference at distance between a suppressed vs an unsuppressed shot.
    The benefit is to the shooter w/ supersonic ammo.

6. turtlecreek

turtlecreek Well-Known Member

Wanting the education. I understand what you are saying. How much of the noise is the supersonic crack? In other words, how different to the shooter is suppressed vs not on supersonic rounds?

7. blkduc

That depends on bullet load, barrel length, and gun. A gun muffler on an AR15 is still loud enough to damage your hearing, (approx 134 dB) worse if it's a shorter barrel. Here's an example of "sonic crack". I spent time this weekend in a range pit at 1000 yards. You stand down in a pit way below the targets above your head. Shooters hit the target, you pull a cable to bring the target down to you, mark it, then send it back up for the shooter.

I was at 1000 yards and the bullets coming in were still above the speed of sound. It is still very loud and you need hearing protection. You hear the "crack" as the bullet wizzes by above, then a little over a second later you hear the faint sound of the rifle's muzzle blast. It sounds like the gun fired near you and that's just the bullet breaking the sound barrier.

turtlecreek likes this.
  8. theJrod

A supersonic crack is probably around 135-140db just by itself, and the origin on the noise is across the entire flight path of the bullet.
    An unsuppressed supersonic rifle at the shooter's ear is around 165db - suppressed it is down to around 135db, so the muzzle report is mostly mitigated, but you still have action noise (if semi-auto) and the supersonic crack.
    A SUBsonic rifle can be as low as 120db, and obviously has no crack. But contrary to the movies, it's still unmistakably a "gunshot", and it's still kinda loud. But the sound dissipates quickly with distance.

Murcielago311 and turtlecreek like this.
  9. turtlecreek

thanks. not what i expected. in industrial setting, 60db is max allowed for most equipment to not need protection. rock concert is what, 100-120db? i truly expected subsonic round to be 60-80 range. just purchased sub and sup rounds today for 9" 300blk no supressor. yet. :) didn't know what to expect.
    i have never used a can, but am looking forward to new regs making them cheaper and easier to access shortly. one can at least hope.

10. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Just as a point of clarification, the OSHA level is 85, not 60.

Edit: since someone will inevitably try to call me out for not being specific ... The Occupational Safety and Health Admini- stration's (OSHA's) Noisestandard (29 CFR 1910.95) requires employers to have a hearing conservation program in place if workers are exposed to a time-weighted average (TWA) noise level of 85 decibels (dBA) or higher over an 8-hour work shift.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    turtlecreek likes this.
  11. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Burned the shit out of my palm the first time I tried to unscrew it because I'm a dumbass and had a mind blank that it would be hot.

Gloves ever since.

12. Jedb

Truthiest part...

13. Jedb

Wear protection, still going to be loud, even with subsonic ammo.
    Shooting my 11.5" 300blk with subsonic & suppressed is quiet, but not something I'd want to shoot without protection.

14. turtlecreek

agree and intend too. i have no idea, after shooting from 8-16 y.o. without hearing protection in deer stands and dove fields, how i can hear anything. (ask my wife and she'll say i cant :) ). i shoot now with plugs and muffs. (and don't ride without plugs either)

just hoping that, when finished, i will have an HD, suppressed config that will not rattle my brain, should i ever have to use.

15. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I ran into about 40 hogs with an unsuppressed bolt action. I had some MSA sordin head phones sitting on my head but i couldn't put them on in time because i was in the tall grass with the hogs just below me and was directly in their path.. So i started shooting and blew my damn ears out. never doing that again.

Next day I brought my suppressed AR and the hogs in the same situation was much nicer and I could still hear.

16. theJrod

There's a difference between constant noise vs. short duration noise thresholds. 85 is for all-day long, 40hrs/wk. I think the short duration limit is 130db or 140db before hearing protection is required.
    I generally don't wear ear-pro for my suppressed subsonic guns. For my AR, even suppressed, I wear plugs.

17. vdub 2.0

vdub 2.0 Well-Known Member

Anyone ever make one of the do it your self "solvent trap" kits always wondered how they worked

18. turtlecreek

They capture solvent quite nicely. Well made for what it is. I am sure the SF use better. :)

19. theJrod

There's a whole subforum on arfcom for form-1 suppressors (build your own). Still have to pay the $200 tax though...

20. turtlecreek

the solvent trap folks do give you drawings and instructions on how to convert the trap to a suppressor (anyone running bikes will have the tools needed to do it), how to set up a trust (along with documents) and how to properly register the "to be built" suppressor too.