1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A new tack on suppressors

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Mongo, Nov 9, 2016.

1. rogers1323

rogers1323 Well-Known Member

I know that there is no answer to this yet, but I'm curious if any of you keep close enough tabs that you might offer a guess.

Is anyone familiar with actual discussion that BATF might deregulate suppressors? I know gun people will discuss it, but has it come up as even a discussion point that anyone has heard?

2. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

The ATF does not want to change a thing. But this bill should go through with no issues after January. Then gun mufflers will be non NFA items https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/3799/cosponsors

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

That is going to be a consistent theme for the next few years. These government agencies WANT tons of rules and regulations. It guarantees them jobs and huge budgets. The industries that they spend that money with want them too. I'm really interested to see how government employees react to the idea of "small, efficient government", or in other words, a government that's run like a business.

4. rogers1323

rogers1323 Well-Known Member

I'm very curious to see how this plays out. I would love to have a suppressor for pretty much the reasons listed here, but I'm totally unwilling to jump through the NFA hoops.

Regardless of the appearance of the changing landscape, I'm not holding my breath.

V5 Racer likes this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sadly it'll never happen, Trump will have influence but the government as a whole is still run by government employees and politicians. They won't put themselves out of their cushy lifestyles and jobs.

6. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

You know... of the two major gun-friendly initiatives that might/could go through (national CC reciprocity and HPA), I think the HPA might have a better shot.

For CC reciprocity, I think some states will vehemently fight it (CA, DC, IL, etc), and other states that are more friendly to CC but have training requirements will fight against allowing no-training states from carrying in their state. National concealed carry is also a much more visible change for the masses that are anti.
    The HPA, if you take out the refund portion, is more palatable.

7. brex

brex Well-Known Member

As long as states are collecting money for concealment permits, there will reciprocity issues. Nevada specifically removed Utah from reciprocity a handful of years back because they were losing thousands to people just coming to Utah to get one.

8. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Yeah, especially now since UT has right to concealed carry WITHOUT a permit.:flag:

I hope that this passes (the devices are too damned expensive) and the home made ones will be legit.

9. DonTZ125

DonTZ125 Purveyor of Neat Toys

How does reciprocity work when your home state does not require / issue permits? An Alaskan packing a pistol in Ohio has nothing to show a local cop who wants to see his carry permit. Unless Ohio decides that an Alaskan state ID / driver's license carries the same weight as an Ohio CCP, and I would be a little surprised to see that ...

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You'd have to check each state but I'd bet they don't reciprocate at all if you don't have an actual license.

11. DonTZ125

DonTZ125 Purveyor of Neat Toys

Kind of limits the value of 'Constitutional carry' in your home state ...

12. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

13. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned