1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dollar shave club

Discussion in 'General' started by DonDDR, Sep 13, 2014.

1. madcat6183

madcat6183 2006 GSXR

Cbus, there's a few down here too. Other bike forum was talking about straight edge shaves and guess there is a dope shop at Easton with great quality supplies. May stop in and talk to them.

2. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

If it is The Art Of Shaving, I would skip it. Their selection is actually very limited and way over priced. If you are ever up that way, check out Imperial Shaving in Medina. Their selection and prices are much better. I found some stuff there that I hadn't even seen online. Believe it or not, Bath and Body Works actually sells some really good shaving cream under the C.O Bigelow brand. A small tube is around $5 if you want to give it a shot. It is rebranded Proraso, which is a pretty good Italian brand.

3. madcat6183

madcat6183 2006 GSXR

It is. Good looking out for me and thank you. Really? Okay I will grab some of that this weekend Bath and Body just down from me.

4. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

No problem. I would hate to see you spend more money there than needed. I am sure their stuff is fine, actually my wife got me some cream from there that I like, I just find it to be way over priced, and like I said, the selection isn't very good.

If you are looking for a brush, this is the one I have. http://www.amazon.com/Omega-13109-C...8&qid=1428521857&sr=8-2&keywords=omega+badger

Also, you may want to check out the Badger and Blade forum. Even if you don't plan to get a safety razor, there is a ton of info there on various creams and soaps as well as tons of technique tips.

5. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Ok so did we determine what the most cost effective BEST razor is? :D

I joined the DSC merely for their kick ass commercials, they had to get my business after 2-3 of them. They're a riot!!! (And No I'm not talking about the nut punches or stun guns ones)

6. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I use this brush
    http://www.fendrihan.com/vielong-horse-hair-shaving-brush-cream-handle-p-1015.html
    I got it because with badger or boar brushes they kill the animal. They don't kill to make horse brushes.
    I used to breakout when I used the multi blade razors. Since I switched to a safety razor I haven't had a single breakout. It is easier to clean the razor of cut hair, so it doesn't clog and cuts better and smoother. I will never go back to a cartridge razor again. I am looking at buying another safety for home, and using my short handle Merkur ( http://www.fendrihan.com/merkur-classic-1904-doubleedge-safety-razor-p-78.html?cPath=116_117_8 ) for a travel razor. Best investment I have ever made.

7. tunawest

tunawest Well-Known Member

Any of you guys use oils or wax?

My cousin just started up his own little company to sell his home made oils and wax. Ive never used anything, but would like to try it so I placed an order for some oil.

8. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

combo of a beard and a good electric keeps my shaving time to less than 30 seconds per day.

9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Cheapo blades - to cut the hair down to size, followed by a Norelco wet-n-dry electric for baby's ass smoothness. I do it in the shower using whatever soap is in the dish, currently Yardley English Lavender. If I shaved every day, I'd have no use for the blades.
    The cheapo blades last me months. I think I might buy a bag of ten every other year or so. The electric razor gets bought once every ten years or so.

I ain't spendin' a shit-ton of money on disposable toiletries.
    If I were a bitch, my once-a-month unpleasantry would be addressed with a shop rag wrapped around the handle of a 3' screwdriver. :D

10. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I don't trust electric shavers. What's a good one? Can they really match a normal bladed-shave?

11. fastfreddie

A good one? I found the rotary types to be better...no diggin' in and shavin' skin when roundin' the corners of your jaw. Have had two Norelcos, been on the second one for, well, longer than I can remember and have been satisfied with their performance.
    If you want a really good shave, ya gotta go to the barber that uses a straight razor. Otherwise, how much time do you really want to spend on the job, every day? For daily use, an electric is more than adequate.
    I get the best results in the shower after I've washed the oils from my face. Stayin' sloppy wet and covered in soapy lather is just gonna be a mess in front of the sink. Hang a camp mirror in the stall if you need to see what you're doin'.
    In front of the sink, there's lotions available but, like I said previously, I ain't spendin' a shit-ton of money on disposable toiletries.

If your concerns about trust have to do with an electric chord hangin' wet on your face, get the wet-n-dry type...internal, rechargeable battery.

12. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Exactly. I don't want nicks and cuts from doing an electric shave every day. The 4-5 day wait between a shave is the best, but obviously not always feasible.

13. fastfreddie

4-5 days between might be pushin' it for an electric. That's why I do rough-cut passes with the cheapo disposables.

14. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

What I meant was the electric would be used every day. I just don't trust it. Ha.

15. fastfreddie

Slap some Sunoco stickers on it. Maybe that'll help. :D

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've done them in the past, first few times you might get some issues but after that your face and you get used to it and no problems.

17. fastfreddie

Yeah, the first few times I used a razor, I never cut myself. :rolleyes:
    :D

18. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

19. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

F Gillette....they're the reason why I went to DSC to begin with.....I got sick & tired of paying $15+ for refills.