777 Missing

Discussion in 'General' started by mfbRSV, Mar 8, 2014.

1. 675AV8R

675AV8R Jetski Extraordinaire

Thousands of people die ever minute. Do you cry for them? No one is laughing at the fact that the people on that plane are most likely dead.

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Personally, it's the people obsessing over it that make me laugh. The tragedy itself is very sad.

3. madkaw

madkaw Meh...

It is sad and honestly I cannot imagine a much more terrifying death than a plane crash, let alone crashing into the ocean.

But I find this story fascinating as more of it unfolds everyday.

If this plane actually landed somewhere safely and undetected it's even more terrifying to think of the reasoning/intentions behind it. Drone bound for the U.S. with some sort of pathogen? Hmmm...

4. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Yes, it does. There is a wing body overheat detector loop which covers the wings, body, and yes, wheel wells. There are smoke detectors inline with the ventilation system. Any fire or smoke would constitute an emergency which would be reported by the crew before the fire became critical.

This stinks like a hijacking by the crew or others with knowledge of the aircraft systems.

5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

This ^ It's just mind boggling that they can lose a fucking jet. :wow:

6. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

Interesting, but a couple weird statements. I have no idea why they come up with a front wheel fire....pure speculation. Smoke and fumes can be intense. I think there was a UPS 747 that crashed due to on board fire. The smoke was so intense the crew couldn't see the panel directly in front of them. The statement about not using O2 during on board fire is complete bullshit....we won't drop passenger mask, however, the cockpit crew will don O2 mask and use smoke googles. In fact those donning the mask and googles are memory action items directly from the Boeing QRH. The author is right on in regards to a turn towards a appropriate airport. The biggest question though, if the fire was so intense as to cause multiple failures and crew incapacitation I can't imagine the plane flying for another 7 hours.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

He didn't say it flew for 7 more hours, just that it could keep flying with everyone on board dead or out.

9. Thors Hammer

Thors Hammer Well-Known Member

How long was the flight originally suppose to last if it made it to its destination on time?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  10. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Didn't they say the 'alright, good night' came after the tracking was turned off? If so, I don't think they would be saying that if there was a fire causing them to shut circuits down. Aviate, navigate, communicate...right?

11. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

If it turns out the the a/c kept pinging for 7 hours then the plane was intact. Personally I find it highly unlikely that a fire was so intense that the crew was incapacitated and yet the a/c remained airborne for 7 hours. Fire is my biggest worry and often a crew will have less than 20 mins to get on the ground with an uncontrolled fire.

You are correct, the plane could fly regardless of the pilot's state, but the linked article says a nose wheel catching fire caused crew incapacitation and resulted in the plane crashing. Lots rubbish in that article.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  12. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Yes, yes we do.

Which 100 square meters of the ocean should those sats focus on first? That's the problem. Think of a rifle scope, on max power how wide is your field of view?

I still think suicide / insurance scam. Make it disappear and the policy pays.

13. i have a very hard time believing this thing caught fire and crashed after flying around for several hours. with my complete and utter ignorance on anything having to do with aviation ill believe the hijacked and shadowed the other plane before i believe that.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The article says flat out that it is speculation - I'm still not seeing the rubbish in it though. It's a pilot speculating, same as you're doing. The fire and people out or dead seems very feasible.

The 7 hours thing I haven't seen confirmed anywhere (although I haven't looked at many articles lately) so I'm figuring it's more silliness like the majority of the stories so far.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Google Payne Stewart.....

16. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Or Helios flight 522. I don't know if this has come up yet in this discussion but I just remembered that flight.

18. well i'll be. did i mention that i know nothing about aviation?

i'm not saying it was hijacked. i think its at the bottom of the ocean.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Wow, pilot really blew that one. :eek:

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:D

I think it is too. The Payne thing was just to give you more info.