1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backyard MX tracks

Discussion in 'General' started by bella749, Feb 28, 2014.

1. bella749

bella749 Well-Known Member

Anyone have one?

So, eventually the wife and I will be hopefully buying our "forever" home. She wants a MX track in the backyard. What size lot would you consider minimum for a small track for minis? Zoning considerations? Good location for cheap land?

We have a pair of CRF150Rs and would be just for fun. Probably would include a dirt oval.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

How much land do you have?

3. bella749

None, currently. Will be retiring from service in 2-7 years. Just future planning at this point. Geographic location is open, but strongly considering Columbia, SC or central TX areas.

4. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Have you been out to Hog Heaven MX? It's just a big field with a mx track in it. That might give you an idea of the footprint needed. You can also judge how close they are to neighbors since there is no forest to speak of or ridges surrounding it. I haven't seen a track west of there that had so little obstruction or use of the natural contours of the land.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

My best friend is a man of considerable means, so he went out and bought 4 SSR's for us to ride on his 20 acres of property. Talk about a blast, he has 5 acres of flat and 15 of woods, so we have built a track that utilizes all of it. And with everybody on the same bike you really have to work when racing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

5 would be absolute minimum, but really I would want atleast 10.

7. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Think of the track I could make!!

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

The biggest challenge you will have is noise and neighbors more than zoning. As long as you don't make too much noise, the neighbors won't bitch. You could probably get some acreage a few miles either side of Columbia that would work.

9. bella749

That's pretty sweet!

I was thinking 5-10 acres surrounded by farm/rural land. Nice thing about SC is CMP and RRR are nearby. Not sure how friendly SC is to military retirees, by wife and I liked Columbia when we were there.

10. Joe Morris

Most people would complain about the summers in Columbia. But Fayetteville can't be far off! Otherwise I can't think of a downside.

My brother just moved to central Texas. I can't believe how cheap housing is there.

11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I can think of a few that have them. James Stewart, Andrew Short, Rick Oliver, Ricky Carmichael etc. ;)

http://www.dreamtraxx.com/
    I met these guys at local function. Seemed like nice folks.

12. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Matt, don't rule out Greenville SC. We have plenty of land still available at good prices too. I have a realtor friend who specializes in land/home packages. We've used her in three of our purchases. Jobs up here are plentiful and the cost of living is low. Plus we are in the foothills of the Blue Ridge mountains so owning a streetbike is an absolute must. Lots of long curvy winding roads with no cars right outside our backdoor.

Plus, you'd have me living close by to help you break the track in. And drink beer.:D

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

With Fort Jackson in Columbia and Gordon in Augusta, there are a fair number of military retirees in the area. Columbia is a very nice small city.

14. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Before he got the SSR's we tried a variety of dirtbikes and they were just too big to really have any fun on twenty acres.

The SSR's are 110cc that max out at about 45mph. He got a deal on 4 of them that came in at (IIRC) $550 each. Keep plenty of foot and hand controls in stock because they are about the only thing that breaks. We also put more dirt oriented rear tires on them.

15. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

16. JAB

JAB Well-Known Member

My friend has/had a 15 acre track on the side of a mountain & edge of a field in what I would consider an rural development with houses having large lots ( 5ish acres) neighbors complained and eventually had him shut down. Be wary if you`re making a large investment based on riding on you own property.....People suck

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

One more thing...personal use is much less likely to be an issue with neighbors than inviting 20 or 30 of your closest friends over for a day of riding. Talk to the people before you buy.

18. bella749

Lots of good info in that thread... thanks for sharing

19. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

This is the front part of mine, it covers about 3 acres. It has been there for over 30 years, I use to have whoops and stuff but I am getting old.

Attached Files:

20. Joe Morris