1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deer Rifle Question

Discussion in 'General' started by jp636, Oct 18, 2013.

1. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

Bought a Savage .22 rifle that was on sale at Dicks and was pleased when the sign on the front door said "Concealed Carry Welcomed", and I was carrying. I buy the rifle then 4 guys have to walk me to the front door. So I ask them why they have to walk me to the door with an unloaded rifle when I'm already armed with live ammo? They say, "just company policy". I say, well that's pretty stupid don't you think? No response...

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

3. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

Ha! If that's their company policy then I'm going while on duty and have them walk me out of the store.

4. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

Now there's a blast from the past! Yes, a Remington pump. In high school many moons ago, I put one of those together from parts my dad had in an old chest in the basement. I had to make a few pins up on a little lathe, customize some screws but it was all there. Fun as heck, my brother ended up with it. .25-20 was my old-man's pet caliber. I'd consider it sketchy for a deer gun unless you have a nice clean shot, though.

5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

This was cruising through my backyard Tuesday afternoon. I counted six points. Really wanted to go under the bed and grab the .243 but since A, it's totally illegal and B, it would have sounded like an Abrams tank going off in my little piece of suburbia I thought best to just shoot with a phone.

Probably the same bastard that ran in front of my bike at 6am one morning while heading to work this summer.

[​IMG]

6. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

Oh and I'll throw it out there since noone else has. Get a bow. If you can shoot a gun accurately, you'll be able to shoot a bow. And if physically you have a limitation preventing you from using a compound bow, get a crossbow.

I love hunting but shooting a deer in the 10-100m range with a gun just isn't hard unless they're moving imo... The bow ups the ante some and makes it much more satisfying.

My hunting rifle (tikka t3 30-06) probably will only see use on the west coast where you can actually go out to the middle of nowhere hunting (and hiking for it) and may need to poke an animal in the 300-500m range. If I'm in a stand, I'll prefer a bow.

7. SWest122

SWest122 Well-Known Member

Anybody have any input on a Weatherby .270?

8. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Weatherby makes a great rifle, and .270 is a very good caliber. What else do you need to know?

9. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Is it a Weatherby in .270 or a rifle in .270 Weatherby?

If it's .270 Weatherby the ammo will be limited and expensive but faster and flatter.

10. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

Agreed. No interest from me on shooting a deer with a rifle. WAAAAAY too easy. Here's a little GA buck I shot 3 weeks ago.

[​IMG]

11. SWest122

SWest122 Well-Known Member

I dont really know what I need to know :D. I'm just starting to get into the hunting thing because a buddy has some land that I have helped work on and he said I can hunt with him.

Looking at a Weatherby Vanguard. I literally just starting researching yesterday.

12. EngineNoO9

That's a little buck? WTF is a big buck then? I know plenty of people up here who would be over the moon with something that size!

13. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

I was joking. He was a pig. Weighed 217#. He had 3 other big mature deer with him when I shot him. Hoping to close the deal on one more of them jokers soon.

14. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

If a gun's too easy, why not use a recurve or a longbow? :D

15. EngineNoO9

I thought you might but was also wondering if you just had DOALS (Deer Of Abnormally Large Size) down there!

16. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

You'd think that was funny until you saw me shoot a longbow or recurve. If it has a string on it, I can shoot it. :D

Where do you think my boy got form like this from? :Poke:

[​IMG]

17. sbhockey

sbhockey Orange shirt #157

No harness :Poke: He must be a whole 19" off the ground :D Wish I had started shooting bow that early.

18. Bosarge22

Bosarge22 Active Member

I still use a Woodsmaster in 30-06. It will get the job done on anything. I don't care if its a little overkill on small deer.

Newsshooter likes this.
  19. RollieManollie

RollieManollie I Need to Get My Beak Wet

Everyone is going to have a difference in preference.
    IMO . . . Can't go wrong with a 270, 30-06 is a great gun for hunting in the woods with brush and so forth. However, in my experience in shooting 30-06 you really need to compensate for the drop and anything over 200 years with standard loads.

I use a 25-06 with ballistic tips. Perfect for anything up to 300 yards and very consistant. 25-06 isn't that great in brush and heavy cover.

20. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Is that a Carbon Element Hoyt?