1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much to change a tire?

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I charge an extra 5 off the bike but 15 more on if they bought them somewhere else.

Good idea on the Chinese sign. :up:

2. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I charge myself a six pack every time... Works well..

3. duc995

duc995 Yep…

My local cycle shop charges $32 per wheel off-bike whether you buy their tires or not :-(

4. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

Thing that kills me, where i'm from, if you buy tires from the shop, as long as the wheels are off the bike they will mount them free of charge. I come down here to indiana, and they want to charge you $30 a tire, even if you bought them from them... Crazy... Yeah buying the tires are a little more at the shop, but at least a good incentive is they don't kill you on the mounting of them.

It takes 10 min to do two of them with a proper machine...

5. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

We had a couple shops here with signs like that. They are no longer in business.

6. I understand charging for the M/B if you didn't buy the tires from there. I have never understood the shops that absolutely refuse to do it if you didn't buy the tires from them.

I went back and forth with a shop about it last year. Even after completely explaining the situation (race bike), standing there holding a set of race tires he can't even get, he is like "Nope, not if you didn't buy them from here. Too many people are buying tires off the internet and we are losing money from it. You should have bought them here".

I was like "Ok, first off...do you even carry these race tires?". "No". "Then how do you expect me to get them from you?". (silence).

Then im like "Secondly, you are worried about losing money....while standing here and turning down straight cash. You can mount these tires and make some cash, or I can go elsewhere and you won't make shit".

He stood there for a minute, with this "oh yeah, good point" kind of look on his face. Then called a guy from the back to come M/B them.

7. mb4lunch

mb4lunch Expert#40 SouthEast

Stickboy will put cool duck tape on your wheels for free!

8. ED_006

ED_006 Well-Known Member

$20 per wheel off the bike, a kawi dealer by me. Suzuki dealer across the street said 45 per wheel off the bike. Kawi dealer did a nice job :)

9. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

petes cycle in baltimore does them off the bike for $90 apiece.seriously!!! i found out when my wife wanted to do me the favour while i was at work,and she ran them up there.unfortunatly she didnt know any better at the time.try that one out

10. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Holy f, how can they begin to justify that ! :wow:

11. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

i dont know...........but there is a guy here that works there.maybe he can justify it

12. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I think I would call them asking about my rebate.

13. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Same here, unless it's a freind or regular customer.
    I guess those doing it for less are not factoring in the price of the equipment you paid thousands of dollars for.
    There are only 2 shops in the area doing it. Me and a Harley shop.
    They charge $100 for M&B on the bike. $60 off.

14. And i have to change it once i get back to my pit. :crackup:

15. I know one thing, if i was a tire guy, i would refuse service to people that bring their wheels up there all dirty and shit. :tut:

My shit stays clean all the time regarldess, and i damn sure get them spotless before taking them to the tire guy. Anything less than that is bullshit IMO. I have seen some of the wheels sitting out in front of the tire truck waiting to be changes and am like "seriously...you couldnt clean your shit up a lil bit?". Some of them were so bad it was hard to tell what color they were underneath all the funk.

16. rwood64083

rwood64083 Gifted as in 'DUHHHH'

Fortunately I haven't had to worry about race rubber since I got married :D

I have video proof you scratch shit :crackup:

I hear he'll have HD duct tape for the for the RA round.

Used to build pro streets, customs and choppers. Even when someone brought us a 300 to change, which is a bear, we charged less than half that price :wow:

17. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

At the track, yes.

18. rwood64083

rwood64083 Gifted as in 'DUHHHH'

It is frustrating to change tires that are nasty dirty. But the customer was informed of the additional charge for cleaning... seeing that it may affect the balance in some cases.

19. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

Shops charge what the market will bear. For every person who can deal with mounting their own, there are 100 (probably more like 1,000) who can't and that's not likely to change. Internet procurement is the new norm and shops that don't embrace that "labor only" customer are foolish.

20. GoldStarRon

GoldStarRon Well-Known Member

Geesh, did not know there were that many wussies here... I have always done my own... (but then I am an olde guy) only time I do't do my own is on the IOM, they M&B free with tire purchase.

Ron - 49 weeks until the next IOM MGP Race..! :)