Consumer Beware: Ballistik Leathers

Discussion in 'General' started by Tractionless, Jul 20, 2013.

1. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Even in good times, a huge percentage of small businesses go under in the first year or two. Way too many people don't do their homework before they jump in with both feet, hoping for the best.
    They look at someone else's established business and think "I could do that easy!".
    They don't consider what it took to get that business to the point it's at, don't see all the work behind the scenes and don't investigate the potential market or factor in surviving on zero profit for a substantial length of time.

2. playdough

playdough Well-Known Member

You can go with ACT Racing Leathers in So Cal. He's been around since 2004 (i think). From my experience, Andy did the measurement and it was spot on. He also has excellent customer service. He makes it a point to make you happy. The product and designs are also modern and you can get cow or Roo. He also has gloves. Best part is he aims to always make the customer happy and offers a guarantee if he can't get it right. Hard to find someone like that in this day and age.

3. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

If he chose to get leathers from Cali, NJK Leathers would be the call. Kelsey makes leathers that are indestructible at a reasonable cost. :D

4. playdough

NJK is not an option. Kelsey's not making Road Race Leathers any longer.

5. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

Seriously..?:(

Just checked..his website is still up and running.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  6. playdough

He still makes leathers for speedway, street Lugers, etc. but he stopped making road race leathers.

7. 418

418 Expert #59

:stupid:

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

That f@ckin' sucks. I can understand why with all these start ups selling paki suits for 1/2 what he could sell his for but still, that f@ckin' sucks.

9. brianspeed3

brianspeed3 Well-Known Member

Anyone looking for a custom suit, give Axcel Sports a try. They have been makin car suits and team clothing (Apex Racing just used them for their out shirts) for a while. But are now doing custom lathers. They make all their stuff in country and are awesome. From the time of the order, I had the suit within 7 weeks. The owner, Brian, communicated with me in a way that made me actually feel like he cared. I would get emails from him every week or so with updates.

As for the suit, AWESOME!!! Expect to buy some knee pucks cause the ones on the suit as not good, same as the ones on thue ballistic suits. But the stitching in the suit is amazing. I spent a hour or so when it arrived going over the entire suit looking for defects anywhere and could not find a single one.

They print logos onto the leather so no worries about stitching on the patches coming off. Armor in the suit is very good. Liner is excellent. Fit was exactly what I sent measurements for. Had to have the knees altered BUT... That was not Axcel's faut. That was mine in how I measured (first time doing it).

You can find Axcel on Facebook under Axcel Sports. Or find Brian Burley on Facebook. Just tell them that I (Brian Ray) sent you.

Attached Files:

10. mpolans

mpolans Well-Known Member

Why don't more custom suit makers offer roo as an option?

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Didn't the people's republic of california ban the importation of kangaroo skins as cruel? Aren't products made from it also banned out there?

12. DavieStone

DavieStone Well-Known Member

What ever the MotoGP leathers are. I have Komodo Leathers now and doubt if re-entering the earths atmosphere would allow me to get any burn marks. The damned things are thick...heavy...but thick as hell and well ventilated.

13. I think it is because Roo is more expensive and you aren't going to break into the market and compete with Alpinestars/Dainese/etc by starting up a new company and trying to sell an unknown, unproven suit for $2,000 or some shit.

14. earacing

earacing Race Dad

I heard the same thing, and it really does suck. Kelcey is good people.

15. brianspeed3

brianspeed3 Well-Known Member

Axcel does do both cow and roo

16. PATBAROK

PATBAROK I <3 Poontang

nothing off the rack fits me-so I ended up going with a regular moo custom suit from Heroic. Its heavy but fits me great!

I was debating on getting a roo suit-but only Spidi and Dainese carry it off the rack, and everything else had to be custom made. Numerous research led me to an Ebay seller from Germany that has 100% good reviews that sells Dainese at a fair price and ships them free to US. They actually ended up giving me GREAT prices on the Trickster Evo and the Team P Estiva-both roo suits..
    But I also made a few calls around, and found out that the Dainese store out of Chicago will have an event in October 2013, where they will bring one of the Dainese tailors to do custom sizing for any of their suits. When I asked them about pricing-the lady that helped me out informed me that they dont have pricing yet, but pricing last year for their custom roo suits started at $2500 and up-depending on how "custom" you want it. I asked about the Trickster Evo and she said around $2500, guesstimate, for just normal alterations (shorten arm and legs) but it will take 4 mos to receive back from Italy. But I have to fly there and basically attend the event-so I would probably be into the suit a good $3200 after everything is said and done-but I'll have a custom roo suit made to me by Dainese

im seriously contemplating doing this if i win lotto...

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Win the lottery and just go to the factory in Italy while you're over there picking up your new Ducati and Porsche from their factories :D

18. PATBAROK

PATBAROK I <3 Poontang

19. PATBAROK

PATBAROK I <3 Poontang

20. ThrottleAbuse

ThrottleAbuse Will Race for CASH!

In which country?