1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jerez, Spain | MotoGP 2013 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'General' started by caferace, May 2, 2013.

1. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Its pretty easy to "get a wheel" on someone if you point it at the kitty litter and dont use the brakes...

2. r1ryder424

r1ryder424 Well-Known Member

Didn't JL do something similar to DP in 2010 at jerez?

3. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

The way I see it, MM may have gone in a little hot for the front grip he had left. He's 20 years old and it's his first year on a big bike. He's in contention for the championship.

That said; JLo should have known better and let him have the spot, used the extra distance that his line allowed, to scrub just enough speed, then shot it underneath MM on exit and taken second. You think he would have known how to work his own corner! :crackup:

You guys complaining that Marquez over shot and went in hot HAVE to realize that with the grip he had at that moment, if he were to tighten his line, would have surely gone down. Couple that with JLo's decision to hold his line and it could have ended badly. All in all, I don't see that it was all that confrontational or needing to have penalty points considered. They both could have made better decisions.

4. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

I certainly hope all the MM swingers remember this later when he gets punted by Georgie. It will happen.

5. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

JL spent the first 10 laps of the race blocking MM at every turn, he is very lucky that shit did not put them both in the traps way earlier. Personally I think MM should have did that shit on lap five and then went after Dani P.

6. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

This is MotoGP, not club racing. Since no one crashed so I don't see the big deal. I'm sure JL will get his chance to return the favor in another race. I wouldn't expect any less. Is not this why we like the sport so much?

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  7. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

I hope you don't think my post is a sign of a nut hugger. I'm a fan of close, exciting racing. Nothing more. All I know is, that I couldn't imagine anyone would think it would be a good idea to try an outside defensive line/pass on a rookie who had gone by me way too hot, on the brakes, on the last turn of a race where I myself was struggling with the front end grip available.

8. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

Me, being the greatest fair weather fan alive, would never directly call anyone a nut hugger. I always seem to be a fan of the guy who is winning. Go figure. I am so fickle my nut hugging looks like Tarzan heading to the grocery store.

9. povol

povol Well-Known Member

Yep, Marquez was faster and spent pretty much the entire race being masterfully blocked by Lorenzo. When and if the pass came, it was going to be hard. I beleive had Lorenzo protected the inside line, Marquez would have settled for 3rd. He didnt and Marquez took a shot.

10. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

:crackup: Fair enough. When Ben came into the GP scene, I finally had a chance to call out a favorite rider. Before that it was Colin, but it seemed his race number was destined to be his highest finish. You would have thought Ben would have learned that lesson and picked something better than 11. :D

11. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I am really curious what Lorenzo could have done better when he was most likely already at the limits of his tires when he saw Marquez's front tire...
    As it stands, the kid that made a decision that could have put people in to the hospital was rewarded with additional points. It was a banzai move that paid off for him. That being said, I really do not think I would want to get on Lorenzo's bad side. He seems like a determined little fucker when he is mad. Marquez may find himself out in the gravel one day because of that.

12. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

Now lets talk about the red bull rookies. Those guys are going to hurt someone off the line if they don't do something about them darting around at the start. I mean pointing your bike toward the wide line is one thing but my god them boys are like darting around on the start its nuts.

13. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

:stupid: yep. Even JLo admitted his mistake. Pretty exciting race for sure.

14. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Classic

15. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Stand the bike up just enough to apex just that little bit later, then run inside the wider running Marquez. If he was indeed "at the limits" holding his line as opposed to widening it would seem counter intuitive. I feel IMHO, that what transpired was JLo's attempt at bullying MM a little bit. Kind of a "I'm not about to let you pass me for position in MY corner", type of situation.

16. Dr. Stupid

Dr. Stupid Well-Known Member

It was a shit pass, but since MAQ stuffed Lorenzo on Lorenzo Corner, it breaks even.

Damn Crutchlow, it looked like he had a really good pace in practice, but couldn't podium. Seems the Hondas found something at what's usually a Yamaha track. Lorenzo sounded pretty critical of the bike.

17. Fire929

Fire929 Well-Known Member

Espargaro had another good ride on the crt bike.

Edwards scored a point.

B Smith finished in the top 10.

Rossi was able to stay ahead of the satellite bikes.

MM stole the show and now leads the championship despite all the crying.

Bradl better get his stuff together before this turns into a Spies like season.

Stevie Rabbit had a great weekend in Moto2 and I hope this give him confidence for the rest of the season.

18. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

While you are free to speculate, it might be instructive to look at previous behavior -- like the overshoot and beautiful correction he did about four laps earlier. I think he would have certainly lost time, but still kept it fine on track.

I reviewed the Rossi/Sete incident, and it appears Rossi had a somewhat better line. Still, racing incident IMO.

19. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

The difference here is clear. Rossi was actually within shouting distance of the apex of he corner. MM never got within 10 feet of the inside of the track. It is one thing to stuff someone, it is another to miss the apex of the corner all together because you came in way too hot.

20. JTRC51

JTRC51 El Speedy Gonzalez

I agree with what many have said here. MM showed a wheel well before the collision (more than a wheel) and JL had enough time to make a correction but didn't or possibly couldn't. Either way, MM was well inside and in his sight.