1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ever heard of Aaron Swartz?

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Harp

Harp Well-Known Member

The 'Internet' is propping the guy up like the next Messiah. His resurrection is forthcoming.

He did some good things...killing himself wasn't one of them. Don't know if he was sick or calculating. Whichever it is...he's become a martyr.

2. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

I appears his martyrdom is a by-product of the govs prosecution of him being viewed a witch hunt.

3. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

Seriously, your brain doesn't work correctly

4. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Werd.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

He's right though... He committed suicide, his choice. Not the governments fault and he sure as hell isn't a martyr. Just another depressed dude who obviously didn't take his meds like he should have. Sucks for his friends and family but he made the call so the hell with him for doing that to them.

6. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

I agree but for Sunshine I was thinking more in general.

7. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

I'd be hard pressed to view his decision in that light without ever looking down that barrel . At that age the day in and day out thought of prison (and after rejecting the plea) , 35 years of it could wear on the strongest of minds.

8. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I don't hold people who off themselves in the prime of their life in any regard.

I feel for their families and friends but that's it.

Why glorify suicide?

9. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

For as smart of a kid people are trying to make him to be...he sure did something stupid. If you don't want to do the time, don't do the crime.

Activism is an interesting thing.

I'm curious though...those documents he took from MIT...if there was no internet would he have taken the publication they were printed in and illegally reprinted it and passed it around for free?

Prolly wouldn't have the money to do such a thing. And if he did...there are strong copyright laws protecting people's works.

So because there is this thing that allows to pass the floppy disk around quickly, stuff that people spent their own time and money should be free (presuming those people didn't make it free in the first place)? :crackup:

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Who glorified suicide?

11. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

This thread.

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Are you so socially maladjusted that you can see the difference between having some compassion and glorification?

13. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

You can decide for yourself.

I don't see any compassion for his family and friends in this thread. Only compassion for him. Compassion for the one who off'ed themselves (technical term) is glorification as it elevates him, even slightly, to be the focus. When you become the focus due to the act, the act becomes glorified as others can think, "Gee look at the attention I'll get if I kill myself."

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Or maybe, just maybe, it's simply people feeling bad for someone who was in such a bad place that they felt there was no possible way it would ever get better. But based on your post, I don't expect you to get that.

15. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

sympathy goes a long way my friend. :up:

it is a good teacher.

no one said to be empathetic...as one who is not in is shoes cannot be.

compassion is actually the opposite of glorification since glorification rewards something that you deem positive.....compassion is feeling for someone who is misfortunate.

16. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Please don't equate Sunshine with Microsoft. That isn't representative with how we work in the industry or how the vast majority of the good people I know view this loss to the industry.

Chris, you could make some hard decisions about how you affiliate yourself with company and how you approach these types of threads. Like it or not, it's PR all the time.

As for me? I'm suspicious of the "suicide". Highly suspicious.

17. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

The fact that you felt the need to say this is telling. Sometimes ya gotta sit back and really wonder why you're the "only" one.

18. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

+1

Him and Mongo sure seem tough though...

19. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Reading RSS feeds is my morning ritual while doing cardio at the gym. It's how I keep up to date on technology in my industry. His death is a very sad situation, indeed. :(

20. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Wait, am I the "only" one?