1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer Jocks

Discussion in 'General' started by Lever, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

You're talkin to him. The only good thing is already know more than the dart :D

2. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

:crackup:

yeah, because everyone needs the blaot of Windows on their hypervisor.

What is Win2k8R2 SP1's footprint? How many Gigs? How much RAM just to run the OS just to load the hypervisor?

ESXi is under 150MB installed and fully runs from RAM once booted. In other words, you could simply PXE boot ESXi and never need a local hard drive installed.

Can Hyper-V do that?

This actually happened to me. We install ESXi on the local hard drive to our blade servers. All VM's are on central storage. One of the hard drives in the local balde servers crashed and we never knew it because ESXi still ran perfectly fine due to the fact the local storage is only used to boot ESXi and never talks to the local hard drive again under normal circumstances. The drive was down for over a week until I discovered it but not a single server service failed to run.

Lets see Hyper-V do that

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  3. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Today? You know the answer.

Tomorrow?

4. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

[​IMG]

5. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Actually I don't. I work at a much lower level than that...

6. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I was neck deep into how it all worked last year but I can't remember it now. The take-away was NEVER roll back AD snapshots. :eek:

7. derby369

derby369 Well-Known Member

how many more tomorrows do i have to wait until hyper-v can match what vmware has been doing for a decade?

8. Lawn Dart

When Microsoft can license the capability from them.* :D

*see Citrix (Terminal Server still can't do what Citrix Presentation Server can do)

9. derby369

...and citrix has been smart to not license their full bag of tricks to microsoft. doing so would pretty much be a nail in their coffin.

10. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Sorry I wan't around for this one. Cannoli has given you good solid advice.

Hyper-V is good but still has a ways to go to catch up to VMware. I can't say I favor either one. We use them both for different reason.

We do a single box version of our IPTV solution using Hyper-V mostly because we can cover the licensing with a single copy of 2008 R2.

Our customers that are larger tend to use VMware Sphere for thier solutions simply for the live migration aspects that Hyper-V has lacked until V3.

11. derby369

i proposed this for our smaller/remote sites at my previous employer for that very reason, but it wasn't worth having to split our efforts.

12. cleanEG

cleanEG Well-Known Member

Lots of good information in this thread.....I'll just add that when planning backups I always ask these questions:

1. What is your retention policy?
    2. Do you need file level restores?
    3. Is there a requirement to store backups off site?
    4. What is an acceptable policy for incremental vs full backups?

13. derby369

1. usually 7+ years
    2. always
    3. always
    4. i prefer diffs over incrementals. acceptable policy is "make sure i can recover what i need to when i need to."

14. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

No idea. I don't work in that team. I work at a level even lower than them.

15. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

16. Lawn Dart

17. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Sorry that doesn't provide me a list of things that you need which Remote Desktop doesn't do that Citrix does.

18. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

We expect better from you. :tut:

(This is all I can add to this thread.)

19. magnum

magnum skeet skeet

I seriously hope you are not using vmware snapshots as backups. The only point of snapshots is for when you about to make a change on a VM that will probably break something and lets you roll back easily. Otherwise you should be using some backup product for your environment .

And i would be careful with snapshots on exchange mailbox servers as well as it is not a best practice and if things get hosed MS will not care much.

Sources from the vendor's:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&
    cmd=displayKC&externalId=1025279

http://blogs.technet.com/b/migreene/archive/2009/02/25/3205513.aspx

http://thoughtsofanidlemind.wordpre...l-with-vm-snapshots-of-exchange-2010-servers/

20. magnum

magnum skeet skeet

Never build a DC from a cloned machine, always do a fresh install when building a DC. If you lose a DC that has the FSMO roles another DC will not take over the roles, you will need to seize the roles and add them to a remaining DC, failure to do so will have your AD dying as well.