1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer Jocks

Discussion in 'General' started by Lever, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

There's a bunch of stuff in Server 2012 and VMM 2012 that VMware can't match (such as 64 core vm)... and yes, it is currently available.

2. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

gee, thanks, but this isn't my first dance, Romeo... :rolleyes:

Please read the entire thread before posting.

I guess I should clairify, snapshots are taken before upgrades and major changes. Delta disks are a performance hit for production servers and all snapshots are ALWAYS consolidated after upgrades and changes are performed and documented successful.

Now back to snapshots, we snapshot our NetApp 3240's volumes used for VMware VM's using VAAI plugins in vCenter Server. Trust me, I know what I'm doing...

now hold my beer! :D

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  3. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

stay tuned for the next ESXi update (I'm a BETA tester). Also look for GPU virtualization. Can you say physical CUDA cores in VM's? Hyper-V can't.

4. magnum

magnum skeet skeet

You realize i quoted you telling someone to virtualize and use snapshot's and basically implied that was a good enough backup. No small business is going to be able to afford a SAN with snapshot's that you said in the next sentence. They still need a backup solution and your reply was misleading.

And i am glad you can spout mass amounts text but didn't know you can't snapshot a DC.

5. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Can VM run on a 512core system?

6. derby369

derby369 Well-Known Member

7. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

You know what's really cool about my job? I get to install, configure and manage all the latest technologies at will, which means I learn something new each and every day. The smartest person in the room knows he's not the smartest person in the room. With that said, I bet you think you're the smartest person in the room...

$8K and Ill spec you an enterprise class ZFS based storage array that supports snapshotting volumes to offsite storage arrays with VAAI support for vSphere environments.

But I digress...

Carry on, my friend. Stay thirsty... :beer:

8. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Nevermind that PDF answered it for me...it can only handle 160 processors. That is a strange number.

9. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Why would anyone place all their VM's on a single, 512 core system in a production environment? That defeats the advantages of DRS and HA.

Sounds like a marketing ploy on Microsofts part if you ask me. But what do I know... :confused:

10. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I don't need any of it. However, Citrix would have gone the way of the Dodo if Microsoft could match its feature set.

And, yeah, if you read a few of those links, you'd find what you're looking for. I don't need to provide a list. That'd be too easy. ;)

11. Knotcher

Didn't know there was a new v-sphere release... how much is that, again? Does 5.1 EPP really have a 2TB vDisk limit and 1TB RAM limit?

12. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I can see how the overall tone of the thread could be misleading if one assumes someone would take the posts in this thread verbatim and use it as a blueprint for a backup plan. In my opinion, a reasonable person would realize using virtualization is the foundation to an overall approach for business continuity, flexibility and disaster recovery. Virtualization opens up new methods for backups that aren't available in the native environment.

Snapshots are just another tool in the toolbox that virtualization brings to the table.

13. derby369

1TB RAM has been available for guests since 5.0.

2TB (minus 512 bytes) vDisk has been available since 4.0.

14. Knotcher

I'm surprised they are that low.

Either way, between V-sphere and hyper-v you can put damn near any workload into a VM these days.

15. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Exactly! With today's hardware and the power of the hypervisor, there isn't a workload that can't be virtualized. Some, such as high-performance computing actually see performance gains from virtualization.

16. derby369

hosts have a 2TB RAM limit. i'd argue that dedicating half (or more) of that to a single guest isn't the most efficient use of resources.

the ~2TB vdisk limit is really a non-issue. you can still present up to a 64TB raw lun if you really need it.

17. caferace

caferace No.

This thread is boring me. I feel like I'm at work.

Twice. :cool:

-jim

18. Knotcher

Depends on the workload. Also, let's not be limited to 2TB on host RAM either.

19. derby369

i know, right? :D

20. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Not a marketing ploy of Microsoft's....we were asked by partners for that feature.

Is it a feature for VM's? No idea. But I know people like Expedia like it for finding that cheap flight you want.