1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4-stroke dirtbikes...

Discussion in 'General' started by John LegionST, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Kyle827

Kyle827 Well-Known Member

Ask one of the 10-15 that can ride a real 450 to asshole :D

Yea I didn't ride it, it sorta rode me, but thats the same with the 450 just hang the f on lol

2. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

You are actually attempting to compare riding a modern 450 to a 500?? :crackup:

3. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

How's the riding there? I tried to go once, but it was new years day and the owner didn't want to drive down to the property just to let me and a buddy ride. Has it been open many weekends during the winter?

I used to get my winter riding fix at Taylor racing indoor mx track, but I guess they're not opening this year.

4. RickJohnson#29

RickJohnson#29 Well-Known Member

Still have my 03 YZ250 2smoke and love it!

5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Yea really. :beer::D As I recall, they quit running the 500 class because the guys weren't really any quicker on them at a supercross, vs. the 250's.

About 2000, I decided I needed to get a dirtbike again, because I hadn't ridden one since about 1980. So, I wanted to get a CR500, but found a good deal on a CR480. It was fine and all, but the suspension wasn't nearly as good as the 98 KX250 I bought in about 01 or 02 and still have.

6. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

Any one that has been to a 500 national knows that a 500 was way more machine than ever needed.

7. B. Myers

B. Myers Well-Known Member

That is one sweet YZ100. Never realized they had the chain on the right hand side though....granted buddies was a '79 if I recall, and another guy has a '83 YZ80- think that was the first year of being water-cooled.

Sweet bike though... :up:

8. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

SUPERBIKERS! that was the shit. i used to watch it when i was a little kid. always rooted for bubba. pops still has a shobert replica bell M2

9. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Well no shit!!:D That wasn't the reason...at all! If that was the case, maybe they should quit running the 450s as the 250s are not that much slower...only 1-2 seconds a lap at the last race.

10. Gonzo

Gonzo Maybe you should drive...

God I miss the days of RM100's and YZ100's. Also miss watching Ron Lechien (on a good day) just kill on a KX500. MX Des Nations - google it........

11. diggy

diggy Well-Known Member

The 100cc class that I run is air cooled only. The 82-83 yz100 are by far the best bike. With so few of them around, they go for insane money now. You should see the guys I race vintage 100's with. Scott Burnworth, Jim Gibson, Mike Baier, Tommy Croft,, Charlie Hamill, the list is endless of former factory guys. They still smoke on the little bikes.

This is the last race 1/29/12 (its a mx race, hopefully ok)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsidMxJbYUY

The 1982 yz80 was the first water cooled 80 for yamaha. The 83 was a big jump forward over the 82. The 82 had an A-arm and the 83 had a swinger.

Fun little bikes.

12. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

KX 500

Putting a KX 500 to good use last weekend.
    Ice flat tracking with the CWIRA

Attached Files:

• d1.jpg
      d1.jpg
      File size:
      381.7 KB
      Views:
  13. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:crackhead:Um, not so much..... the 500 is around 220 lbs and the 450 is around 240 lbs. What you were feeling is the old suspension.

The 500's went the way of the dodo because there just wasnt enough people that could keep them under control. A 500 with modern suspension would eat your fartcan bike for breakfast.

14. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Its OK. Its not Red Bird or even S tree, but its the best, close place to go. You can get a decent 3, 4, or 5 mile loop going.

That sucks about Taylor. What about Earlywine?

15. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Earlywine looks open, but their calendar is pretty full with races. I'm way too terrible of a rider to race indoor mx, but it's fun to go there to practice.

I think the biggest letdown was the closing of Horseshoe bend last spring. They had a couple really fun outdoor mx courses.

16. CMDI

CMDI End User

What is a "450 to asshole"?

Is that a freestyle trick? Never seen it

17. BC61

BC61 Well-Known Member

Ridden a RXV 550?

18. GoldStarRon

GoldStarRon Well-Known Member

19. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

:crackup: