1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any .22 fans?

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Nov 17, 2011.

1. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

:crackup: That happen to me with that damn cycling thread, late in the season no less, I now have approximately $2000+ invested in a bike/gear and it's cold as shit outside in the a.m.. :mad:

Not too many bolt action fans here eh?

I've been procrastinating on a .22 rifle purchase for awhile now, can't make up my damn mind on which way to go......the Ruger 10/22 is a real popular choice!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  2. rwood64083

rwood64083 Gifted as in 'DUHHHH'

I almost ordered an M1 Garand through them. Fortunately I found one through a private seller that was month/year date correct. Beautiful piece of history.

Bolt action rifles are great! The hunting rifle is bolt Ruger M77 MKII 270. One shot, one kill. My favorite rifle to shoot (to date) is the 65+ year old Swedish version of the Mosin Nagant sniper model with the original scope. That thing is just as accurate 'open sights' as is with the scope :up:

Okay, so I did some digging and think I found the 10/22 'I need' that best fits my personality :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

3. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

10/22 is the most popular, there's a lot of CZ fans for the bolt guns. I like my custom 10/22 but I like my Marlin .17hmr even more.

4. bumpskiis

bumpskiis Well-Known Member

I have a Sig/Hammerli Trailside Competition. Love it, very accurate and extremely reliable. Had a 10/22 that was all Volquartsen parts except for the receiver in a bell+carlson stock that I loved. Sold it, have regretted it ever since, and want to build another.

Pic is not of mine, just one I got off google:
    [​IMG]

5. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

Just picked up a Savage MkII TR in .22 cal and now looking at a CZ in .17HMR for my Christmas present. :up:

6. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

Which model? Boyd's makes the stock for the 93R17TR

7. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

Thats the Tapco stock on a 10/22, same one my kid has only his is the tan stock. Works great!

8. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

My buddy has one, he loves his too. Wife likes to shoot it too and she isn't a 'gun person'.

Definetely on my list. I love that thing.

Just got back from the range today for the first time with the 10/22 (first time I've been at the rifle range with ANY gun since Boy Scouts circa 1985)...F*cking awesome. Put 400 rounds of Federal Champion through it, not a single issue. Even hit inside the bull a few times from 100yds with the factory iron sights (out of about 60 shots from that distance tho, not bragging in any way - just thought it was cool).

I love this lil gun. Better stock (not sure what yet) and a probably the Tactical Solutions 16.5 fluted bull will be on the way shortly, and a scope for sure.

Oh BTW, fuck you guys for encouraging me into the gun thing. I am definetely going to be making hard decisions with play money regarding bikes/guns from now on. :D

9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

If you get a .22lr AR style rifle, get the CMMG: http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/item/M4LE22-16-inch-Rifle-with-Magpul-Rear-Sight-1639

It's a little more money than the Smith and Wesson AR, but it's much better quality, and it uses the same lower as a real AR-15 so once you get the base, you just need to switch uppers for any of a dozen different rounds (5.56, 7.62x39, 6.8spc, .50 Beowulf, 9mm, 40cal, and more). I think there is even a bolt action, single shot .50BMG upper available.

10. BC

BC Well-Known Member

How much do the different uppers and related stuff cost to do a conversion to another caliber?

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Depends on the company that makes them, the caliber, etc. Sometimes just a couple hundred bucks, sometimes a few thousand! Most decent uppers for the common calibers can be had for $400-$500.

12. BC

BC Well-Known Member

That's not bad. The Thompson Contender of autoloaders. :up:

13. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Is an AR-10 able to do the same?

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Not so much. The magwell is much larger on the 10 which rules out many of the options. There may be somebody out there making different uppers for AR-10's, but I've never seen one.

15. dscak

dscak Active Member

Some years back I became interested in shooting smallbore silhouette. It is shot offhand, at small metal animals at 40, 60, 77, and 100 meters. Began with a ruger 10/22 with a 3x9 scope. I said at the time I would never spend over $500 for a 22. Many rifles and scopes later I'm currently shooting am anschutz 1710 with an aftermarket barrel, in a Robertson stock with a 40x45 leupold scope. Addictive ain't the word for it.

16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

How many times over $500 was that beasty?

17. dscak

dscak Active Member

She's a bit over 6x and then you start looking at higher end target ammo at $1500+ a case (5,000 rounds). Then you need a good air rifle with a scope also so you can practice indoors during inclimate weather (i live in Alaska). But it sure has helped an old guy maintain hand eye coordination.

18. Captain Squid

Captain Squid Well-Known Member

Glad you had a good time at the range Scotty! Just wait till she gets a scope on her!!!!

I'm currently shopping for scopes too, one to go on my AR10. Thinking of going with the swfa fixed 6x.......

I think you'd enjoy a 3-9x42 or a 3-9x32 on the 10/22

19. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Here's my 10/22, benchrest stock, volquartsen barrel, BSA scope in place till I get something a bit nicer.

Attached Files:

20. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

^ That's pretty sweet!

No offense meant but I never understood that whole 'assault weapon' look on a .22 rifle, if I go custom I'd prefer something like the above.