1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ever Had to Take A Forced Hiatus from Racing?

Discussion in 'General' started by got40, Sep 11, 2011.

1. got40

got40 On hiatus...

How long was it and how'd it work out for you?

Life is kicking my ass at the moment. :Puke:

2. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

I've contemplated it myself, funds are really tight at the moment and I know I'd have a lot more money to do other things if I wasn't racing.

3. tommyd273

tommyd273 Well-Known Member

Totally life forcing for me this year. I've not made a single race weekend and my brother calls me recently, I need to fly out of town for his wedding on the last race weekend that would have fit in my schedule.

I've been planning for next year and trying to make the commitment that things will work out. We'll have to see. For the record, yeah, I've made a couple track days, but we all know its such a different animal and doesn't compare to heading to T1 like a missile.

I finished my first year of racing last September and really felt like I was starting to put things together. It wasn't like I need a break but yes, not spending on that, I paid for other things.

I hope things change for you and you can get back out there again.

4. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

on a forced hiatus right now due partially to injury, partially to finances. had already planned to take some time off next season to build another bike and to build a little bit of savings. started my hiatus a little early with a season ending injuring a couple weeks ago. :(

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Racing is important but real life is your real life. Do what you need to for yourself and your family.

WERA will be there when things turn around for ya'. :)

6. MrOneNut

MrOneNut Well-Known Member

Had all my racing gear stolen after Road A in Jun and then my house robbed 2.5 weeks later. Forced me to finish this season far too early, but still fighting for the insurance money so I can rebuild for next year! Life has a way of changing things up on you, but I have realized that racing has become living for me since cancer put me behind a desk. Two rules someone told me when I started this addiction. 1. Never race on credit. 2. Be prepared to lose whatever it is you go onto the track with. Got to ride endurance yesterday, realized just how much I missed it but really had a great time and it was good to see everyone again. Best of luck!

7. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

i took 2 years off due to life. just easing back in this year.

8. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Im out till Feb of next year. I just dont have the time. Between a 7 month old and opening my 2nd Batteries Plus location there's no time for fun these days. I plan to hit a few hare scrambles in the next few months just to stay riding, local events where I can be there and back in a day but thats pretty much it for me. I miss my WERA family but I know I would just be miserable going to spectate. Hope everyone has a great GNF and see you guys at Talladega next Feb. :)

9. DavieStone

DavieStone Well-Known Member

I can say with most certainty that I feel all your pain. The last year has been as if my dick and balls have been hung up on the wall in my garage. I will be back shortly and boy am I pissed. Gawd save your souls who race with me the very next round I do:D

10. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

^
    this.

(Dave, my image of you is totally blown, bein' all growed up soundin'.):D

11. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Yep, had a really bad highside at Putnam in 2000. My then 8 year old son was with me that weekend and saw his dad come back in the meatwagon. Wife said I had a choice; her and the family or racing.

Fast forward to last year and she tells me and the boy that if we want to race, do it. Whole thing went full circle.

12. Hondaphile

Hondaphile Well-Known Member

I crashed in march and bought a house in may. Bike's sitting in pieces in my new garage haha. Trying to sell my truck to get rid of the payment and free up some money so I can get back out there. I just realized how much of an addiction this is as I'm selling my belongings so I can get a fix.

13. ofcounsel

ofcounsel Above the Law

I took an 9 month hiatus between 2008 and 2009 because of a severe injury combined with the birth of my son. It took me about 5 months to heal, but then my wife wanted me healthy to help out with the newborn. So I took the extra time off

14. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

I took 10 years off, I'm fine with it. Last race was ROC at Daytona in 01'. Did a couple of Ahrma races, bought an SV and started with Wera this past Spring. Hey, it's like riding a bike! :up:

15. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Not forced but self imposed.

16. turbodogs02

turbodogs02 Just batting at the bunny

I've been out for just about 2 years now.....was sporadic and cutting back the last year I raced....finances, divorce, a move down south....all put together = no racing :( Finally sold my bike late last year, poor girl was just sitting there not doing a damn thing.

So to help fill the void, I started to race my other bike, only problem is now I'm the engine! :cool: It's nice having a racing background to draw from, I can usually make up some time on the downhills and corners, which helps since I'm usually getting dropped on the climbs and long straights.

I'm of the mindset that I'm only "semi-retired" though...I have every intention of getting back out there :up:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  17. chalyror6

chalyror6 corky #193

i havent raced since 09 and it sucks. gonna try again in 11 ,but Dave K said it best

18. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

:stupid:

Hope to see you all next year.

19. burnham

burnham Well-Known Member

Had a career change in '09, didn't race this or last year. Just don't have the money. I think next year I should be able to, between my pay going up and payments going down there should be some "extra" money in my budget. I hope.

20. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I've sat this year out.

New household and family put the brakes on racing this year.
    Sold a backup bike to pay off a debt that's been a thorn in my side.
    Plan on being out there next year...not sure to what extent though.

My racing started in '94...was out for several years and back in it the last couple.
    I can gladly say that it has always been paid for with cashola. '0' credit was ever used for racing, including travel expenses.
    If I don't have the cash, I don't go.