1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fastest production motorcycle list??? 1980s?

Discussion in 'General' started by nikponcherello, Jan 8, 2011.

1. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

I did drag strip testing for Cycle World 1978-1984, about 40 passes per month testing multiple bikes, figured it out to about 3000 passes during the six years. Usually had the best magazine ET on everything that was normally aspirated. Every published 1/4 time came straight off the timing system at OCIR, no exaggeration or modification, ever. Funny thing is, I don't remember seeing you there at the time!

The V65 Hondas were no match for the GS1100 or GS1150.

(Side note: In 1982 I did a 10.20 @139 on my back after getting tank-slapped off a nitrous-equipped 1535cc Sportster just before reaching the lights in Kansas City! )

2. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

The H2/750 came out in 72...

BUT; my Brother had a 71 H1/500 and was tankslapped off after cresting a hill at WFO, he has an asphalt tattoo on his ass from the "ride". :p

FWIW, The Kaw triples were the original source of the NHK adjustable hydraulic steering dampers. I think those started in 1972.

3. Triple X

Triple X Well-Known Member

I'll never forget the TV commercial for the V65 Magna.

Gleason doing a burnout was good stuff back then.

(This makes me miss my '82 GS1100E.
    My first new bike...)

4. John29

Also raced a H2 on the OCIR "road course" once and it was an unbelievably scary ride! And it vibrated so bad that the handlebars seemed to grow in diameter the farther the thing went down the straightaway!

(Circa early to mid-1970s.)

5. 418

418 Expert #59

Tell us about that GT750 you rode cross country. How retarded was that? :D

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Youre correct...I wasnt there or even tall enough to climb on the seat(s). ;)

Did you test bikes "given" by manufacturers or did you go down to a dealer and purchase/borrow one?

7. John29

Loaned, not "given".

Personally, I've done both. But how does that relate to this earlier post by you:

'Originally Posted by TurboBlew
    80s mags exaggerated the "actual" capable times of stock bikes not available to the buying public.'

Or are we playing the change-the-argument-as your-posts-get-refuted game?

8. speeddemon828

speeddemon828 casual user

Lets keep it civil. This is a great thread.

I remember the Yamaha ads in the magazines in the mid 80's showing their complete line up with a little description underneath the picture. I think the one for the V-Max read "fastest production motorcycle... period." or something like that.

I always liked the big V-four Honda Interceptor. I think it always got overlooked as the first race replica.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  9. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

Fixed it for ya.... :p

10. rick burdick

rick burdick Rick122

I was a subscriber during that time, i still remember the shredded red and blue leathers:)

11. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

12. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

I never owned any, but I have had the chance to ride the V65, and the GS1100 back in the 90's. They were both very fun to ride. I have yet to land myself a ride on a V-Max, but one of these days I will.

It will be a fun day.

13. Shane4371

Shane4371 New Member

I've got a 86 fj1200,faster then the 85 fj1100,here's a pull out from a magazine in the 80s I found.these are stock bike

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Everyone from the 80s and early 90s knows that the Katana was the fastest bike on the road......my cousin's neighbor's brother even told him so.

15. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

16. Repo Man 32

Repo Man 32 Lifetime Member

116Hp and it weighed more than the battleship Bismark..... No way it went 11.0's That math don't work. and 173?? I lol at that....

17. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

That is a cool looking bike even today. It had the gear whine that produced a woody! It also had quick change front wheel change clamps. The little door on the left side opened to check the oil through a sight glass. It wasn't an Interceptor though, VF1000r, the Interceptor was a VF1000f.

18. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

Ever be reading along and see a post you'd like to quote because the guy seems to know what's up then realize it's your own post from five years ago?

SupermotoFan likes this.
  19. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I have both a VF1000R and a Katana 1000 ('82) in my collection. They are both complete slugs. Hard to imagine they were rocketships back in the day. Honestly, an RZ350 feels much faster and was from the same era.

20. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Compared to newer models, yes, but the 1000 Interceptor was pretty awesome when it first came out.

Then it got fat.

The V-Max was the wickedest bike I ever had a chance to ride. If only Yamaha had ditched the shaft drive.....