1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you seen the future of 2-strokes

Discussion in 'General' started by MidnightRun, Nov 21, 2010.

1. MidnightRun

MidnightRun Well-Known Member

2. chickenpants

chickenpants Well-Known Member

3. 178SV

178SV now retired...

Nice claims, nice CAD model. Have they built a real one yet?

4. RedEIKO0713

RedEIKO0713 you like noodles? fapfap

Anyone worked with Deltic designs? Interesting...

5. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

6. RedEIKO0713

How is timing kept between the top and bottom? A rod like the wikipedia page has or chain?? Why did you have to keep one up at a museum? EDIT: why would a train use one anyways? I thought these were meant to be light and powerful? Run on anything I assume? Why wouldn't a train use a conventional diesel?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  7. chickenpants

chickenpants Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

8. RedEIKO0713

Is that a picture of the 6 cylinder... cylinder, or the 2 cylinder one bpro posted? Why have these not taken off if their so efficient as the original link was arguing? I wish rotaries had taken off. I don't think anything can bring back the 2 smoke. I've heard Audi was working on making a "green" (CARB compliant version) but we'll see what comes of that.

9. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

The museum was a working museum and the locomotives were used to switch cars in the yard. The FM H-10-44 was donated and we did a tear down/feasibility study to determine if we could get it up and running. It was too far gone and we traded it off for other equipment.

A 2 stroke diesel produces a lot of power for the weight and is much simpler to maintain than early 4 stroke designs. It is also smaller than the equivalent powered 4 stroke design. Until 1988 all EMC/EMD diesels were a 2 stroke design often usually either turbo or roots type supercharged. The emd 567 and possible others were interesting as they used an overhead camshaft to control the injectors and an exhaust valve.

Several detroit diesels used in trucks and industrial applications were also 2 stroke designs. High fuel consumption and emissions eventually killed off the 2 strokes.

10. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

The FM opposed piston 2 stroke had crankshafts at either end of the bore attached by bevel gears and a vertical shaft. The lower shaft drove the generator and the upper the supercharger.

11. RDJeff

RDJeff Well-Known Member

We had some of those FM diesels on generator sets here at work. I think they were either 12 or 20 cylinder units. somone had to stand on the roof with a fire extinguisher every time they were cold started! My understanding is they were originally used in submarines during WWII.

12. moke

moke Well-Known Member

Cool pics and subject thanks!

13. Kendall

Kendall Well-Known Member

14. GSVR 946

GSVR 946 Banned

why?

15. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

I seem to remember my father talking about 2-stroke diesels that were on Coast Guard cutters he was stationed on. Said they would run backwards if they weren't careful in starting them up.

16. PoopsMcGee

PoopsMcGee Well-Known Member

I had a Maico 500 that would run backwards. If a backfire launched kickstarter lever missed your foot/ankle/leg, the motor would keep spinning and fire up running backwards. You had to pull the plug wire to get it to sop.

17. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

They already exist, DFI 2 strokes are on the market from Aprilia and others in Europe AFAIK.

18. MidnightRun

i've had Detroits run backwards, my first job was at a truck driving school as a mechanic,i would teach driving on weekends.you could stall a 2-stroke diesel moving in reverse and bump start them in the opposite direction..the intake becomes the exhaust.i've also had them run away on motor oil when the oil seals go out in the turbos or blowers....no shit,standing next to one when it starts running away will make your butt pucker...the engine would shut down via a cable(pull to stop).if a driver left the truck in gear and someone hit the truck in the parking lot the engine would bump start and the truck being in gear would take off.

19. RDJeff

RDJeff Well-Known Member

They slobbered a lot of oil out of the stack when cold, and it would catch fire, often the whole building roof would catch fire.

20. MidnightRun