1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For The Bicycle Peeps... New Bike.

Discussion in 'General' started by burner42, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Sig

Sig Well-Known Member

P.S. - isn't 17mph a bit fast for a MUP?

2. RENCRN8

RENCRN8 Fornicate Sailor Jerry

I am not sure what an MUP is but the speed limit on our trail is 25MPH.

3. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

Multi-use path.

4. 45° Please

45° Please Large Member

Do you guys get joggers in the road/shoulder bike lane?

The wafers have a sidewalk but some insist to run in a bike lane.

5. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

That sucks, dude! But that right there is why I would never buy a $9k bike.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Share the path!!!! :D

7. Strick

Strick Good to be king

Especially if I was planning on just riding it on a bike path.

8. burner42

burner42 Well-Known Member

No, especially when you are only overtaking one bicycle and you announce you are approaching on the left. Usually if I am passing more than one person at a time i will slow way down.

I only use the path for about 300 yards then I get back on the road, the path connects the east side & west side roads at both ends of the lake. It is a 13 mile loop around the lake, the faster cyclists use the road and the slower cyclists, walkers, joggers etc use the path. Everyone from Cat6 -Cat1 pros ride at this lake for training, I also race the bike, was just out training.
    Just a freak accident really, the lady just did not check to see if she had clearance to turn off the path and wiped us both out... sucks for both us.

9. burner42

Hahaha, Dave... I actually went 36 or so miles before I wrecked it with no beer! So I guess you still got me beat!
    Damn! :D

10. parapuke

parapuke Well-Known Member

I know you don't want to hear this but.....it could be worse. I'm glad you are here to talk about it. I totalled a Madone 6.5 with 416 miles on it. Lucky or unlucky I was hit by a car running a stop sign. It hurt, but felt better when she was ticketed and her insurance paid for a new bike. I now have my new bike insured with State Farm on its own policy. Might be something to look into??

11. turbodogs02

turbodogs02 Just batting at the bunny

I'm getting ready to purchase my first roadbike Wednesday (2008 Cervelo Soloist) and I was wondering about just such a scenario happening....invest some pretty decent $$ into a bike, only to have some knucklehead take you down and then you're out big $$ for replacement bike, gear, etc....

So you can actually insure a bike like this with its own policy eh? I may have to investigate that further.

Real sorry to hear about your wreck. Even worse, first ride on such a sweet bike.

12. Sig

Sig Well-Known Member

How much does that run you?

13. burner42

Funny, I was just talking about this with the wife... calling my agent tomorrow and see what he can do for me. I got lucky this time, I consider my damage somewhat minimal ($1200), Luckily my frame and wheels are ok, another guy that does our group ride was hit by another cyclist a few weeks ago, he was not so lucky, bad concussion (out for 5 minutes/snoring) his frame on his brand new Specialized SL3 was cracked on the top tube & it destroyed his rear Zipp wheel.

14. parapuke

parapuke Well-Known Member

Well, now I feel like State Farm is monitoring my online activity. I received a call from them yesterday with a sad story about how the local office misinformed me regarding my coverage on my new Madone. I guess this separate policy will now cost just over $800/year and excludes any type of coverage if I'm participating in any type of organized ride or race event. She said I could list it on my home owner's policy and be covered for fire, theft, wind, and what not. I asked if I would be covered if I was hit by an non insured motorist while training and she said yes, as long as I'm not participating in an organized ride or race event at the time of the accident. She gave me the contact info for a private local company (that specializes in unique coverage/policy) to investigate what they can offer.

If anyone has the answer or finds full coverage regardless of use, please post here. Thanks. Sorry to threadjack Myles!

15. burner42

Hey no problem... I think this thread has run its course. Valuable info... I have not contacted my insurance company yet. I will let you guys know what they say.