1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati Pulling out of WSBK

Discussion in 'General' started by jelder, Aug 27, 2010.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, they tried the twin in WSBK for three years and won two of those, including the first year out. Hardly a failure to compete on Ducati's terms.

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

to the op,
    damn, we're not in the dungeon.
    nevermind the biting sarcasm of truth that would have followed.
    otherwise, ducati is as ducati does.

3. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

Your not thinking or talking about this but Harleys pretty much own dirt oval racing and have for many years. Road racing I think they won a few back in the day. If you count the buell they got one just last year. Pretty sure they have won some board track stuff. Maybe even some MX back when they made 2 stroke dirt bikes.

4. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

Anytime a bike maker leaves the sport or anysection of the sport its a loss. That being said for them to expect the rules to change to allow them to win as often as they have in world superbike is insane.

To take your ball and go home after one bad year is crap. I don't think its the bike either. You put Ben on that bike this year he would have won again. They did not change enough in the rules for one bike to go from 2nd in the points to where they are now. Haga was very close to winning last year take Ben out of the mix and he would have. Not that much has changed they could win with the right rider. Sure its not "the" bike to have this year but its not the Kawi either.

5. Indetrucks

Indetrucks Well-Known Member

This thread is about them pulling out of World Superbike.. I would assume I didn't need to specify which sanction I was referring to?

6. Marc Camp

Marc Camp Well-Known Member

Do you think Ducati would have any of there championships wieghing the same as a jap bike?Or the same cc.:rolleyes:What is this bullshit you blab?:)IMO they helped kill750 superbikes.1000's killed ducati's.My how things have come full circle.:Cannot afford one?Thats a juvenile statement if i ever heard one.Who would pay 20g's for a V twin anyway?Why don't you STFUP.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  7. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

Harley is pulling out of World Superbike? Now that's a bombshell!:crackup:

8. G8rDuc

G8rDuc N00B

Don't think Ducati was worried about weight differences...I say remove the restrictor plates and let the Ducs play....

9. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Thousands of HD owners.

10. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Ducati won multiple WSBK championships with the same weight requirements as the 750. The weight advantage got reduced over the years until it was elliminated.

11. trancework

trancework It's always now...

This really sucks.

12. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

The current rules actually have the twins at a significant disadvantage. (A twin needs about 30-35% more displacement than a four to overcome it's RPM handicap) Given that they are only allowed 20% more and have an intake restriction on top of that, I'd want the rules changed too.

You do have a point on the "lifestyle" thing. I bought an 848 last year, first Duc I'd had in 10 years. Hopping on the various Ducati forums was, um, interesting. VERY different attitude than it used to be, and there's definitely a large subset of the current owners who own the bike purely for the image it projects.

13. mdr14

mdr14 What?

I bought my duc because of Nicky. He sells bikes!

14. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

@ Marc Camp......Space bar brutha.....use it!

Ducati has helped keep WSBK at the forefront of racing. They were the only factory that stuck through the rough times. Bravo to them. WSBK will be weaker without them.

15. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

2/3. There is still one more their/there/they're left for you to get completely wrong. Don't give up.

16. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Who is forcing them to use the twin platform? They are putting themselves at a disadvantage and their handicap is their own doing.

Displacement is displacement. Creating class rules based on a performance index is always going to be tricky and/or a subject of debate and controversy.

The OEM or team that's not winning is always going to want the rules changed in their favor. Also, if Bayliss was still riding the bike, I don't think we'd be seeing much of a "disadvantage".

17. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

As far as engines of different configs and displacements, just check out the American Le Mans series. They have all kinds of powerplants in the four main classes and they have achieved quite the pariety. Its working for them. Close racing, different makes have chances to win.

I welcome different engines of different displacements and configurations to be out there. Gives it variety and the fans can latch onto something that they may be riding themselves as a team to root for.

18. Vitamin-E

Vitamin-E cornerin lo in the 3-1-fo

Instead of trying to build a twin into something it can never physically be, maybe they should build 3500+ homologation specials of this....?? v

[​IMG]

Just a thought. And then WSBK wouldn't have to go all NASCAR with the rule book for them and we wouldn't have to argue on the beebs.

And yes, I cannot afford one. But if they detuned to a streetable 160-180 bhp (which would allow them to lower the price, warranty it, and get rid of the un-obtanium parts) and did away with the requisite factory maintenance...I'm thinking they wouldn't have any sitting in the showrooms. After all, APRILIA hasn't had that problem.

I feel a NEW [non-inline 4] Ducati SuperBike coming on.... Just a thought.

19. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

... and a few Bimota and Victory owners too.

20. mkvamso

mkvamso Fall Risk

well its not different manufacturers but moto2 is all exactly the same and it doesnt get much more exciting