1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do companies let unions hold them hostage?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Donkey1, Dec 14, 2009.

1. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

exactly. :up: :rolleyes:

2. SVandST

SVandST Well-Known Member

I get tired of generalized statements too. You know, ones like this one for instance.

:Poke:

3. ToddClark

hehe, hey, if we're gonna generalize, i may as well jump in there too. :up:

4. Rich Graver

Rich Graver Well-Known Member

Wait till election time.

5. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Am I correct in assuming that you are paying that $3.43 per hour into a retirement account for yourself?

6. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Todd, with all those drawings and blueprints that are handed out that have to be redone it sounds like most of the engineers are in reality, "theoretical engineers." :beer:

7. ToddClark

preeeeeeeeeeeeeeetty much. :up: They love to use the words "well, in theory". Im like, uhhhhh....this is reality here, lets try that first?

8. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Funny how that works, can government employees strike?

9. wheedle

wheedle Well-Known Member

We dont even want to get started on Mechanical or related engineers without the first damn bit of mechanical aptitude whatsoever...

10. AC1108

AC1108 Well-Known Member

No

11. AC1108

AC1108 Well-Known Member

Depends.

12. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

LE [and iirc fire departments] cannot.......who else?

13. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

Why would they want to? They already get paid more than they should and they don't do any work anyway.

14. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Wow Marc, how big is that brush you're holding?

15. snay

snay Well-Known Member

Idiots

+ 1:up:

16. Donkey1

Donkey1 Well-Known Member

Luckily he's not one of them college engineers, you know the ones without common sense. He started as a lineman 34 years ago with them. He doesnt have a college degree which means he couldnt even get hired to do his own job right now.:crackup: He worked his way up just like everyone should have to do.

17. AC1108

AC1108 Well-Known Member

Kansas City Fire Department threatened to a few years ago when the city wanted to reduce a bunch of training of new employees. City employees can ie, street department, animal control, etc.

18. Rich Graver

Rich Graver Well-Known Member

Where I worked in government, they wouldn't strike. Pay wasn't bad at all if you didn't mind the shitty work (literally) and long hours(one year was 1300 hrs OT). The department I worked in actually did some pretty tough work. But there was also a standing joke. If someone ask "What do you do for the county?" You gave them a long blank,questioning stare and said "Uhh, nothing".... Cause you knew that's what they were thinkin' anyway.
    Been gone from there for a while,don't miss it.

19. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Government union contractors can strike. Direct government employees can't.... then again why would they. They have kickass pay and benefits. ;)

As for the contractor unions strikes use to be a yearly thing here in Oak Ridge... the week that deer season opened. The hunters would hunt and the non-hunters would sit at the gates with their pickets signs stuck in the ground and drink coffee all day. Then the contract would get signed as soon as the DoE and Union bosses got back from their Elk hunting out West. :D

20. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

You literally cant pass ANY job site in Boston without a union or whatever picketing out front. So and so company does not conform to community standards. AKA, they wouldnt pay us what we wanted, and hired someone cheaper. They've gotten so lazy they have pre-printed signs and just fill in the company name at the top. And of course, at everyone one of these they need a detail cop being paid probably 70 bucks an hour to stand there all day, which I'm sure is provided by the city. Utterly ridiculous.