1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Horse shi*!

Discussion in 'General' started by skip salenius, Sep 6, 2009.

1. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

How about the semi-pro teams that exist in many cities. Should their players get paid to show up? How far down the food chain "should" participants get paid? College? (Well, OK, some of `em do...) High School? Gray Y Football and Little league?

Why? Why "should" someone be compensated for something they do? Should I be compensated for answering questions on the BBS?

It has been alleged here, and elsewhere, that DMG is trying to turn AMA roadracing into NASBIKE racing. When the audience is large enough and the advertiser dollars are rolling in, then the series will pay for full grids and qualifying with some suspense that fills the stands prior to race day. Until then, nobody "should" get a damn thing they don't earn. Currently the pay is through 20th in points. Should it be 21st? 31st? 51st? And who is this "they" who "should" pay this money? And where “should” this money come from?

2. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

It is sad, unfortunately it's not surprising any more that people think they should be paid just for showing up. Guess it goes back to the wussification that discourages kids from trying to improve their performance by convincing them that last place is as important as winning the race. Wouldn't want to hurt their self-esteem.:rolleyes:

3. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

I guess over time it all equals out for the guy who hits every event.

4. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Thats was my point.

5. 418

418 Expert #59

I'm pretty sure back in the day in Europe, the organizers had payouts just for "showing up". a.k.a. start money. This concept isn't anything new. He didn't just "show up". He qualified and completed both races.

I have no dog in this fight but you're jumping to awful allot of conclusions there. As usual.

6. Slider82

Wrong.

If everybody gets paid it just encourages more Johnny Rolling Roadblocks to get out there and piss ass along and screw up the real race.

7. MrWheeler

MrWheeler Well-Known Member

:crackup:

As opposed to using pro racing as your chosen form of instruction? That's a cost-effective alternative. :rolleyes:

8. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

I seem to recall 50 or more folks showin up for a AMA stupidbike series weekend with a bunch goin home either due to bein slow or by set grid size and they paid per each leg and back to 30th
    seems the racing was real and the stands had bodies in em

9. Slider82

You ever race for money? I have but I knew I wasn't fast enough to finish far enough up to make any racing against pros so I rode the semi-pro class.

Strange concept huh? Riding against bikes you're competitive with instead of expecting to get paid for being a backmarker.

10. MrWheeler

MrWheeler Well-Known Member

You are truly delusional, if that's how you see it.

11. 418

418 Expert #59

By that defintion? Yes, I suppose everybody that holds a race license has.

By your theory the only guys that need to show up are the guys that have a certain chance at victory. Which means we'd have a three man series this year. Hayes, Mladin and Pegram. Sorry, but I don't buy that logic.

12. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

nah- b/c the grid is ultimately limited in # anyway.

13. Slider82

Talk about missing the point.:crackup::crackup:

Try to follow along this time. If you want to make money racing you have to finish toward the front, most races don't pay all the way back to last. If they did there would be too many slow riders getting lapped and being a general pain in the ass because they know they get paid anyway.

The incentive is to go faster so you get paid. Get it?

If you can't go fast enough to get paid in DMG go back to WERA.

Or keep racing DMG and learn from following better riders but don't expect to get paid for your lessons.

14. RacerRuss

RacerRuss Well-Known Member

In case anyone gives a shit, here are the positions and point totals from the weekend

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  15. RogerE

RogerE Member

I will probably regret this, but still feel compelled to make simple point. Every rider and entrant signs an agreement that they have read and will abide by the rules. The awards payout is clearly posted on our web site including an explanation of how it is determined who is entitled to what amount etc. To be surprised after an event that we kept our word is mystifying to me.

16. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Papa, Best of...yet?

17. cattitori

cattitori Code SuperBike Galactic *

So, there is only one payout amount for a double header event?

Is that the way the old system was run, with a double header being considered one event?

18. Slider82

I think most of the people here understand that and find it hard to believe that some don't.

19. RacerRuss

RacerRuss Well-Known Member

Q1, Yes
    Q2 No

20. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Lost in all the whining, sobbing, finger pointing, finger wagging, and just plain fingering is the logical argument that paying deeper into the field will bring in more riders, allow current riders to step up their game, increase grid sizes, make for more "races" on the track and probably result in a better show. Even MotoGp gets boring with 14 bikes on the track. Dorna knows this and is trying desperately to get more bikes out there. And I garunfuckingtee you that those new teams/bikes will not be challanging for a podium.

And this racing stuff is not the Special Olympics. It's a time consuming, complex, dangerous, expensive game. To encourage fuller grids DMG needs to do something. Any better ideas than deeper payouts to get grids larger than 25?