1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This may be closer to reality than you think

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by cannonballcobb, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

I agree.

2. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

If Buck caught me breaking into his house and pulled out a gun, any gun, I'd be relieved. :cool:

3. Czolgosz

Czolgosz Banned

You'd pee on his carpet? [​IMG]

4. Joe Morris

At a minimum.

5. RR_Kid

RR_Kid Formerly YZF600boy

well i don't know the entire "true" background story here...just what little info was posted......yes there is all ways the option to tell the perps to "freeze and don't move"......sure i'll give anyone that chance to stop with a nice verbal warning...but as the story reads on the original post dude had a weapon in hand and was coming towards the home owner...in that senario i would say firing the weapon was not overboard at all.

now if it's true the youngster was leaving and was unarmed and "shot in the back"......we'll i'd agree with you on that case...ya don't shoot

6. joe617

joe617 Well-Known Member

But why should someone have to die over you taking a few licks to the head with a crow bar? If you just take the beating and let the perp have the $32.15 in your wallet then nobody dies and the world is a happier place.

7. Jefe

Jefe Wannabe

Why should you die from severe brain hemorrhaging rather than being able to defend yourself?

8. Chip

Chip Registered

:crackup::crackup:

Then you guys can talk about the perps aggression issues and the you can get the perp help so he doesn't do this again.

9. Jefe

Jefe Wannabe

I sure am glad that I don't have to worry about the original topic of gun seizures being an issue anymore since I lost all mine in a terrible boating accident.

10. joe617

joe617 Well-Known Member

I was hoping the sarcasm in my attempt to fill in for 999, since he has left the conversation, would have been sensed in my post.........

11. bel-biv

bel-biv Well-Known Member

how many people here have ever been put in the situation where you've had to shoot somebody?
    you all act like you've got time to survey the situation, ponder potential outcomes and carry out your thought-out and calculated response

you have a split second to determine whether they are armed or if they pose a danger to you
    a split freaking second

when shit went down in iraq, my only concern was for my safety and the safety of my teammates
    period
    end of story

in that situation, if you see a weapon - or what you believe to be a weapon,
    then that guy dies

now if someone breaks into my house
    i don't give 2 shits if they want to raid my fridge for leftovers, catch some late-night tv, or do harm to my family
    if you break into my house, your very presence is a threat to my family
    and i will do everything i can to kill you

and i'm fairly confident that i'd be able to accomplish that

christ, i've finally been sucked into a stupid dungeon debate
    damn you all

12. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

You would be wrong. :)

Look at the links for some actual statistics on accidental gun deaths.
    Annually, 101,537 (2007) accidental deaths of which 700 was from guns,

annually, (2007 I think) there were approximately 2.5 million times that firearms were used to prevent crime. I don't know how many times that resulted in death of the actor.

http://www.nssf.org/news/PR_idx.cfm?AoI=generic&PRloc=common/PR/&PR=120704.cfm

http://www.gunowners.org/fs0404.htm

13. Chip

Chip Registered

:stupid::stupid:

14. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Debates about guns tend to do that...

15. cannonballcobb

cannonballcobb Registered Offender

Now it's time for another serious question.

If there was a 100% chance that nothing harmful would happen to you, if you were caught breaking into someones house, would the number of home invasions increase?

;)

16. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

From your statement I would surmise that you feel that if someone breaks into your home and you catch them stealing your property then you should let them go free with your property if they're unarmed? How does that work? Do you ask them if they're unarmed, or do you wait until they present a firearm and start shooting?

I don't know how crime occurs in your part of N. America, but I'll tell you this. Here in the Ft. Worth/Dallas area if you encounter a 16 year old breaking into your home or business he will most likely be armed, and not afraid to open fire on you.

17. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

BWAAAAAAHAAAAAAAHAAAA!

You have been sucked upon severely, and we now own your ass. :D

18. g.mccormick

g.mccormick Well-Known Member

:stupid:
    My thoughts exactly. If someone breaks into my house, I am not going to take the time to play 20 questions with them. How old are you? Do you have any weapons with you, including guns/knives/bats/rocks/pointy sticks etc? Do you plan to do me harm, or are you just wanting to take the things that belong to me?
    No thanks, someone breaks into my house, I will do everything possible to make sure they leave in a body bag. And if that means i harm or kill someone under the age of 18 (god forbid that should ever happen, seriously i don't ever want to have to take the life of anyone) then don't blame me, blame that person for breaking into my house.

Although, I too recently lost all my previously purchased firearms in a boating incident.:D

19. Joe Morris

Robert is from Canada.

Is this common in your area? Seriously. I'm working with the local police to curb crime in my neighborhood and this is not typical in my area. In the past year I've only seen two instances when a residence was burglarized when people were home. Once the home occupants were in the front yard and left the back door open which offered easy access to an offstreet alley. The other time the home owner watched the perp kick the front door in to empty the change dish sitting in clear view from the front door. The most often stolen items are laptops, ipods, and any other electronics that will fit in a backpack. In short, burglary is a crime of opportunity in my area. If you leave valuables or money in view when you're not home you make yourself a target. Home breakin's are no different that car breakin's in this regard.

With that in mind the notion that keeping a gun for home protection reduces the likelyhood you'll be a victim is unrealistic. If you want a gun then have at it. But don't kid yourself. The best deterent you could have is a nosey neighbor who's quick to call 911 when they see something fishy at your place when you're gone.

20. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

You surmised incorrectly. :) If a burglar surrenders or I can see he is fleeing or otherwise doesn't pose a threat, there's no need to attack him. But until I am sure it's my house so I get the benefit of the doubt, not him.

Conjuring up extreme situations doesn't prove any useful point.