Ohlins Suspension Guru Superbikeitalia

Discussion in 'General' started by CATMAN, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

You can't just ask for a setup and expect it to be what you wanted. You need to ride the bike and come in and have someone make adjustments based on your feedback.

I would hate for you to be a customer of mine if I were in the suspension business.

2. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Is Ryan Meade the one who oiled the track at Mid-O? The name sounds familiar ..

3. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

well being that good without riding it is about spot on for a suspension guy that 'knows' suspension but doesn't ride.

4. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

then ran around like ricky bobby after kicking the medic who tried to cut his leathers off in the shins...:crackup:

5. Big Deezul

Big Deezul Gossamer has MOJO!!!

Thats him you cruel bastard :D

6. Gigantic

:rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  7. Dano711

Dano711 Well-Known Member

Used Thermosman and was impressed. Bought Ohlins forks and shock for current bike and had Ken set them up because I work with STT and he comes to most of their events. He did a great job and I have ridden my bike.:D :up:

8. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

...sense of self???

9. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

self offense????

David

10. Gigantic

To be fair, Catman has a pretty radically modified SV superbike: Vallely motor, Ohlins superbike forks & Attack adj triples, Olins shock, Marvic wheels etc. he brought it in to Speedwerks to get a baseline setup, as he'd drastically changed the bike and needed to get rake & trail sorted as well as revised comp & rebound for the lighter wheels, not to mention having properly sprung. His first time riding it after they's allegedly laid hands on the bike was at the first CCS race weekend this spring, at summit point. Riding (I believe) in a practice session on a wet track, he found the bike to be basically unrideable. he nearly had a spectacular crash in T4, which he managed to turn into an even more spectacular save, but the experience so unnerved him that he was ready to give up the bike and racing and take up a hobby more age appropriate for a 50-something baby boomer, like crocheting.

It seems as though speedwerks had done very little to his bike, if anything at all, yet they charged him a pretty handsome price for it. He made attempts to contact them but calls went unreturned. The eccentric adjusters on the Attack triples were set to maximise trail, making the bike stand up in corners. the machine was unsafe to ride at best. Say what you will about him, but to his credit, Ken from Superbike Italia, along with Chris Onwiler as a test rider managed to do something that Speedwerks had been unable or unwilling to do: make the bike rideable. Are there better suspension tuners? Of course there are, but let's not slam the guy needlessly. Catman is justifiably excited about the reports that he's recieved about his bike, although he's yet to ride it; cut him a little slack. Ok- the runon sentences are atrocious, but the guy has an enthusiasm that is unavoidable...:beer:
    Cheers,
    Lance

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Maybe he should have left it alone?

12. Gigantic

perhaps. sounds like it's better now...[​IMG]

13. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

nah...that would show logic, judgement and reason...can't accuse any of us of having much.:D

14. Brian Van

Brian Van Track Gear Retailer

Kenny does good work. I have had him work on my 750 and was happy, improved the bike for sure. He has done the set ups for many of the STT southern staff with excellent results as well. Mark and the tire twins Noah & Jacob have had Kenny set their stuff up and they all turn some fast laps. Nice guy, good work

15. Handicapped Racer

Handicapped Racer Well-Known Member

Mkay, so all of these parts you spoke of were they on the bike or installed by Speedwerks?

16. Gigantic

I dunno.[​IMG] good question.

17. zook1k6

zook1k6 Banned

18. CATMAN

CATMAN Well-Known Member

I didnt title it _ _ _ _ spedwerks as my better side wouldnt allow- gotta have some discipline-They may be OK at what they do for their official racers, but I only spent 3 g's++ there the first two purchases- I guess that wasnt enough to actually acquire some customer service :err: :jerkoff: Must have needed a new shop,glad I could help-Now I get to pay again to setup the SV- at least this time competency and customer service came along with my purchase- just a warning to those looking around, and kudo's for Ken, i believe a jet mechanic previous, and a guy with the right questions- NOTE the no problem, note the handling I got-
    K3 Quote I rode Catman's pretty kitty at Autobahn this last weekend. Man, I never saw a bike with so much nice stuff on it. First time out it wouldn't steer at all. I stopped after a lap and backed the steering damper off all the way. That helped a little, but the bike was still terrifying to ride. I'd push it down into a turn, but it would stand right back up. The bike wouldn't maintain a lean angle at all, so every turn was taken in a series of swoops. Not good. Not even close to good. THIS said by a seasoned /racer trackday - not me!

Sent: Thu 12/28/06 4:54 PM
    To: JOHN WEINSSEN ([email protected])
    No problem,we can take care of everything,just give me a heads up when you get a chance,,,,Steve JOHN WEINSSEN wrote:> Hey Steve- John from NJ Here- i am considering some upgrades for my > sv700- You guys raised the rear shock in march,it handled great at > summit - only got to race a couple weekends due to a work injury but > again it felt great- it has a 01-02 k5 1k front end, i gbought a set of > ohlin 05 1k forks sb upgraded sb valving and sprung for SEAN CONRAD nat > racer 160 lbs for his 375 lb 05 1k racebike- and wonder if Dave can > reproduce the geo i liked with this set of forks in place-also have a > brembo MC19x20,front rotors from ALTH company with bolt / spacers to > allow SB 320mm . I am purchasing from yoyodyne a Marvic wheel 5.5 rear > rim for the mich 1800 slicks i have new-and need geo change to allow the > slicks to be good handlers - i see that the trail on a 05 is 5mm longer > but i also bought a attack triple camp set with spindle to help offset > the trail and slick variable with a 4mm insert it came-I really like the > handling and geo with the forks that are on the bike and worry > that changing forks out needs to be done while maintaining current > handling but with a ohlin fork "upgrade " also fill brakes w/new > Lines,for the radial brakes on forks-- Can you 1- accomplish this and 2 > can it be done with me staying overnight once so as to save a second > trip down there? Superbike Italia in Chicago was a choice for me because > the guys would answer some questions but you guys know summit specs > better , GMD is closer to me but again i liked the setup you guys did- I > can feel good handling just dont know how to make these changes to > arrive safely- Lemme know, i am in the process of deciding where to > have all this done prolly in Feb- oh also need to drain fuel tank and > possibly entire fuel system i heard a lil popping recently- that sounds > like poss a lil water ,the rear cyl was cold ,we drained tank,it went > away and returned- My # 973 607 1827 John Weinssen 54 Washington Ave > Victory Gardens NJ 07801 I liked that Brian took some time to talk to a > noob-Peace-until the flag drops! -- SpeedWerks SportBike Services101 Weston Dr. Suite 8Dover,De www.
    YOU ALL DECIDE-I am just showing why I almost had to get out of the sport-and why I am still in- hope to save some other overtime working track loving fool who has an accountant for a wife- and a dream in his head /Nuff said, -cat

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  19. CATMAN

CATMAN Well-Known Member

Thanks Lance

Before I got back here-(mucho overtime) I see your post- here is what these folks didnt know- and the parts were all put on in a way that was almost as dangerous as the brembo master cyl that locked up in the rain at summit that expensive day in the fast turn 4 on my new slicks- the rain conveniently started while we lined up- this was my own MC, purchased as a used once item here at wera.com classifieds ---when i left delaware,with "shiny, finished SV ) i asked steve why my front brakes seemed locking, he said it'll free up-Just trying to help the good guys here! Cat

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  20. CATMAN

CATMAN Well-Known Member

Originally Posted by Paigebert [​IMG]
    You can't just ask for a setup and expect it to be what you wanted. You need to ride the bike and come in and have someone make adjustments based on your feedback.

I would hate for you to be a customer of mine if I were in the suspension business.

Just asked for something other than a season ending/death defying ballpark setup for my bike- at a high cost$-- used to be spending like an american was a good thing that secured results- :mad: