1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Netflix. What to watch?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dits, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

That looked quite good but I can't stand Ray Winstone so I'll give it a miss.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, liking it a lot.

Also watched both the Reacher films over the weekend and while doing so ran across a quote from the author that summed it up for me - with the movies you can't expect it to be 100% the books and putting Cruise in the role you get 100% the character of Jack Reacher with 90% the size, with another actor you could get 100% size but only 90% of Reacher...

Not Netflix but with Paramount+ having the latest Mission Impossible and it being so long since I've seen any of them (and learned I never had watched 6) we rewatched all of them the last couple few weeks, been a whole lot of crazy ass Cruise but damn the dude is good at his job.

skidooboy likes this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Little of both I think. The character really is like that in the books but there's the ability to explain it all the shows can't do.

4. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

Watched the MI series recently too. I agree with you. The other thing I noticed is the general quality of the movies increased greatly with each one too.

5. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Watching "The Innocence Project" on Netflix.
    It's pretty interesting watching them go through and challenge the usage of "commonly accepted forensic tools"
    Ballistics = accurate & objective
    Rape Kit / DNA evidence = accurate & objective (i.e. the data doesn't lie, but evidence could be manipulated)
    Bite marks = not very accurate & very subjective (i.e. experts disagreed in most cases)
    Eyewitness testimony = 50/50.

Granted these are selected cases, but it's interesting to see how the technology is (mis-)applied across the court systems (Mississippi v. NYC)

Just re-emphasises my desire to never get caught up in the "justice" system.

tony 340 likes this.
  6. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

If you can afford it, you'll be fine.

If not, we'll, enjoy your newfound BFF Bubba.

7. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Just never want to get caught up in it.
    Knocking on wood my good luck continues.

8. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Tried watching that Resident Alien thing this weekend and thought it sucked.

9. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

He isn't in every episode.

10. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but wife and I have really been enjoying The Bear on Hulu.

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  11. rwdfun

rwdfun

It get's great reviews and my GF recently started watching it and likes it.

My GF and I started watching it when it was fresh out and I just couldn't get into it and still can't. Maybe it's the acting but seems like most of the lines are adlibbed on how they are delivered. Like the writer/director just gives them a general scene and outcome and the actors make up the dialog. Often they stumble over each others words and sometimes just blindly stare off into space and say nothing.

Also it seems like it's very slow paced and boring until something blows up. I told my GF it seems like they just made ER (or any of the hospital shows) in the kitchen. A while back the omelet scene made headlines somehow so I watched it. For the past few months since she picked it back up, I always ask have you seen the omelet scene. She just watched that episode last night. If that scene made headlines that tells you something about the critics thinking. She just made an French style omelets with crushed potato chips on it. Why was that so amazing?

12. CRA_Fizzer

Its like racers liking racing shows. If you have worked the back of the house, you get it.

13. rwdfun

rwdfun

Get what? The omelet making or the show? Are there really that many critics and watchers that work in a commercial kitchen? it's a show not a documentary

Thats why Drive to Survive shouldn't be considered a documentary. It might be more interesting to me if I didn't already follow F1 closely.

14. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

In that scene and the show as a whole, cooking for someone is how a lot of people (myself included) can show you love - it's a metaphor basically, and for those that struggle to say the words, to do it with physical touch, or any other traditional way - this in itself is what tells you that you're important and cared for.

That scene was about how she showed her love when she really needed it, it's how she showed her the new restaurant would work if they capture that level of magic on a plate, and it also showed that really good food doesn't have to be all about foams, reductions, rare ingredients like truffles or saffron - it can be the simplest of things that we take for granted - the humble omelet with potato chips on top (taste is important but then critics/food snobs look for texture contrasts in a really good dish)

If you watch the movie Chef with John Favreau, two dishes in that film are all about the same thing - the pasta he makes for Scarlet Johanson and the Cubano sandwich.

The Bear is a great show with great acting and writing - Season 2 was killer but I'm with you, Season 1 was hard to watch at times with the lows and then frantic scenes to show just how mental kitchen life is. It wants the viewer to realize that even though they are "making fries, not saving lives" the back of house staff (actors) are in a constant state of alert/tension/drama so the lows and then highs of the show is also another metaphor for life as a Chef.

R1Racer99 likes this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agreed, I think having the guy who did Reacher with him come on board helped a lot.

16. BigBird

BigBird blah

Brooklyn 9-9 is pretty good.

17. CRA_Fizzer

I sure hope there is a season 2 of The Gentlemen.

Phl218 likes this.
  18. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

One's enough for me.

19. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Just started Tour de France on Netflix. So far so good. F1 has a good series, and now even cycling has a good series. Why the fukc can’t there be an equally good series on MotoGP.
    Although Between the Hedges on YouTube is a great series on the TT, so there’s that.

20. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

The first season was better (for me). Like everything sitcom, they run out of stuff to keep going for years, over something that is supposed to be talking about/showing, a real time event that happened over a short time span.