NCAA FOOSBALL

Discussion in 'General' started by pfhenry, Sep 23, 2023.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I have begun to develop an emotional connection again to the Bengals. I am NOT enjoying it.

t11ravis likes this.
  2. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

I am amused at how quick I put on a shirt I wouldn't have been caught dead in the past 30 years once the kid decided to go there. How blessed am I to experience that level of emotional bliss twice?!:crackup:

HPPT likes this.
  3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You have an actual reason to be a crazed fan, so no bliss for you! You'll never get it.

t11ravis likes this.
  4. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

We can't all be Harvey Updyke.

5. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

So I went to UGA and actual had my dorm room overlooking the stadium for 2 years. I guess I should be rooting for Ohio State since I lived there as a kid (my dad lived with the Tressels for a while with "little Jimmy" while he broke Lee's BW college football records). Or I guess I could claim UCLA since I was born in Pasadena?

How about we agree that the playoff committee really screwed the pooch this year with no easy options, someone was going to get left off the table? And that the whole portal thing needs to be addressed (and moved till after any bowl games)? And that NIL contracts need to start stipulating that the player has to play in ALL team games unless injured?

Jon Wilkens and CBRRRRR999 like this.
  6. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Given that the NIL is a contract between the player and a sponsor (not necessarily the school, nor the NCAA) that would be hard to enforce.
    https://iconsource.com/everything-about-nil/

HPPT likes this.
  7. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

FIFY

8. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

I can see that becoming an issue as we are seeing massive payouts for optouts. Not a very good return on their "investment". I hope there will be contracts in near future holding these punks accountable. What is going on right now is not sustainable...

9. Jedb

Why are they punks?
    They are finally getting to actually control who and what uses their image and getting a percentage.
    Sounds like a reasonable thing for me.

College football won't be sustainable in the long run as we knew it during the 80s, 90s, whenever.
    The different conferences are chasing the money of broadcast rights (see dissolution of the Pac12 for real time effect).
    The students finally have the right to earn income off their own likeness and success (in addition to adding to the School Brand) and as such are protecting themselves over what previously was "school loyalty"

The school/brand will offer a platform, and the player(s) will choose. Schools no longer have the upper hand.

The whole thing is going to come down to the big brand schools like the SEC, Big10, Big12, ACC and big brand independents like Notre Dame, that can drag in viewership on pay streaming services, and that 'travel well.'

R1Racer99 likes this.
  10. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

All sounds great on paper doesn't it.:rolleyes: However, we don't live in a vacuum nor on a level playing field, and that is not how it went down nor being utilized. Almost zero oversight, yeah, that is gonna work out great. :rolleyes: And yes, punks. Not sorry if that offends you.:Poke:

11. Jedb

So, they're punks because they are looking out for their own interests?
    Don't you look out for your own interest while performing a job / working at your own business?

Yes, NIL is zero rules at the moment, other than the College/University can't pay them directly.
    The individual athlete is now a brand.

Bo Nix, Inc. or Jordan Travis, LLC or THE Marvin Harrison LP, etc...
    https://duckswire.usatoday.com/list...op-nil-earners-in-college-football-this-year/

Cow's out of the barn and it's not going back..

R1Racer99 likes this.
  12. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I would assume that the sponsors would want their paid player to play in all the games, so they could put a stipulation in the contract with the player that they have to play in all the games to receive the full amount (or a bonus or something that would sufficiently "motivate" them to play in the bowl games).

I assume moving to a bigger championship playoff series will help with this but you never know.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  13. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Murphy's Law comes to mind.

14. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Saban already paid Murphy off.

15. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Should've bought a QB.

16. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Should've bought some protection for his QB.

17. Jedb

That's up to the sponsor and the player, and what they each can negotiate.
    If I were a sponsor, bonus structure would be the way to go.

If I'm a D1 QB with good options to go pro, I'd like to have NIL flexibility, so bonus structure would be good until I'm ready to get NFL dollars.

There are a couple of cases right now where the player is making more off NIL in the NCAA than he would if he got drafted and moved to the NFL.
    NCAA = Bigger fish in a regional pond & built in fan base.
    NFL = Rookie 3rd round draft pick where no one knows you as a RB and your minutes & media exposure is WAYYYYYY less.

18. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Well damn.....

Ain't a damn thing worth watching on the telly tonight...

:D

19. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Go Blue
    Or go purple
    I don't care
    Just happy the SEC ain't there

Jon Wilkens and Razr like this.
  20. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Oh.....I forgot there's another game tonight. Who's playin?