School me on investing...

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Nov 8, 2017.

1. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

yeah i guess it depends on how cold but even here in hotlanta during last years "cold" front my buddies tesla was definitely down more than 10% he said

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Last price I saw was for a fairly recent Escalade at $1700 bucks a corner.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  3. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

than they were in the mid-20-teens when there was way less of them on the road and when both the S and the 3 were new new within themselves.

4. Venom51

The battery is still the Achillies heel. Dead battery means throw the rest of the car away as it is economically unsound to repair it out of warranty.

I will add that I'm not just pointing the repairability cost problem at the electrics. Run out and get a super bitching dual clutch gear changer replaced. It will make your ass pucker as well.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2023
  5. BigBird

BigBird blah

Last edited: Oct 17, 2023
  6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I’m okay with electrics and my wife will probably have one within the month. Having said that in the past 6 months our friend put a little over 40k in her model S for a new battery, screens, computers, and drive motors. The car bricked twice in a short period of time, but she wanted to keep the free supercharging. So it was worth it to her?

7. Boman Forklift

Maybe it was that much? I just know it turned him off to the brand.

8. Venom51

That's the new version of "I am buying a new car to save on gas.".

9. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Electrics have a place, but as a total replacement I don't think so. Not with current tech, and power grids. We as a society need to stop thinking in absolutes and trying to apply blanket solutions to multifaceted problems. It's not the path forward.

I can see buying a small electric as our next mile eater commuter. Can't see going full EV in my lifetime, unless I'm forced to, and that will bring up a whole nother sets of problems and challenges, the least of which will be an EV....

MrGooch, R1Racer99 and BigBird like this.
  10. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

When is the F350 Dually EV gonna be released?

11. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

After the NRC approves Mr. Fusions. :D

12. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I can see getting an EV or at maybe a PHEV for our second car, but not until we are ready to buy another car. Hopefully my 2013 Touareg TDI will keep going for a while. I was thinking it is getting a little old. Then I got the personal property tax bill for my wife's 2022 Volvo XC40. :eek: Now I am keeping the Treg at least until my wife retires, and we move somewhere that the PPT is lower or non-existent.

13. BigBird

BigBird blah

tax bill on a car after buying it?

Banditracer likes this.
  14. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Small, inexpensive mid-distance car for city folks. Or an inexpensive NEV.
    Aside from that? No point in my life for one.

15. Boman Forklift

I just worked a trucking trade show this weekend and they now have class 7 chassis that you can put a stake bed, a roll back tow truck or box van on. They didn’t have the exact price but he said it was around 270k for the cab and frame. About double what’s gas version would cost. There are govt incentives to get them about equal in price.

16. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Having some experience in the auto industry parts biz, that isn't always true. There were many years my division kept the rest of the company afloat, and then some.

BigBird likes this.
  17. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

I remember carbureted cars, too. :Poke: ;)

18. Boman Forklift

We make more repairing and servicing forklifts versus selling new ones. Very little margin in new sales. But it is something we need to offer to grow and keep taking care of customers.

BigBird likes this.
  19. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

What is this ? Where do you live ?

BigBird likes this.
  20. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

there's also def a bunch of aftermarket support now that didn't used to exist where you don't need to do that. but if you wanna go thru a dealer or don't know how to put air in tires, i guess you're at the mercy. the whole free supercharging thing... lol i guess? humans will be dead before that makes up for $40k haha

BigBird likes this.