anyone build a big garage? what would ya do different, must haves ?

Discussion in 'General' started by MELK-MAN, Sep 5, 2023.

1. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

The only thing I know for sure about building a big garage is once it's built you wish you'd have built it bigger.

2. VR45 Troll

VR45 Troll Site Mod Upgraded to Troll. Formerly “Maximum”

Dish washer

MELK-MAN likes this.
  3. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

I did spray foam but I had the builder do a layer of radiant heat barrier on the inside of the metal. The spray foam is sprayed on the barrier and has been fine. My HVAC is on dehumidifer mode when I'm not out there.

There's some good ideas in this walkthrough.

https://www.obsessedgarage.com/pages/garage-consultation-design

MELK-MAN likes this.
  4. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

MELK-MAN likes this.
  5. VR45 Troll

6. prm

prm Well-Known Member

A training track out the door and a small fleet of Ohvales or 300s to play with friends.

Pit for working on vehicles.

Stainless workbench area for working on suspension and other oily things.

If multiple muscle cars, get racks so you can stack them.

Cool bar area with TVs and sound system.

I’ll keep dreaming…

Gino230, TurboBlew and MELK-MAN like this.
  7. BigBird

BigBird blah

about having friends? :Poke: :D

MELK-MAN and prm like this.
  8. ducrcr

ducrcr reasonably fast old guy

Glad you posted this! Definitely following as I'll be looking to do this(maybe 50x80) in the near future, possibly next year, as my 36x48 shop is overflowing and I don't seem to be very good at getting rid of stuff.:rolleyes:

MELK-MAN likes this.
  9. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Get information on how thick your patio concrete should be poured to support the size of hot tub you might put on top of it.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  10. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Yep :)
    I built 36x50 but it is attached to house and wood just like house. In addition 1st floor has 2 car garage which is heated, sink, and next to it man cave with bathroom. Total space 2500 sqf.
    I only wish ceiling could have been higher, it is 11'. I didn't want to close windows on 2nd floor of house and went 2' down to get 11'.
    If I was building detached it would be built same as house except I would not put walls inside other than bathroom.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  11. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Exactly what I was going to ask. And when will this be done so we can come watch MotoGP at your place

MELK-MAN likes this.
  12. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

I know something else that blows

Boman Forklift likes this.
  13. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

Another vote for high ceiling and big ass roll up shop door. You want to be able to pull the truck in with the sled deck, tall ass boat, etc… 20ft door height.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  14. backho

backho Well-Known Member

It would be very nice if the lifts were flush with the floor.

BigBird and MELK-MAN like this.
  15. quikie

quikie Fugitive at Large

I foam close-cell insulated my workshop and I wish I had done that to my garage.

Install LED lighting, more than you think you'll need.

Power outlets and multiple circuits. I have 100 amps to the garage (compressor, welder, multiple outlets) and it's awesome.

Install a few out-door weather proof outlets. They turn out to be quite useful.

8" doors, don't go for anything shorter. If you can do a 12" ceiling, do it.

Finally, 1,600 CFM gable / attic exhaust fan. I have two of them hooked up in the back of the garage for venting and they are spectacular. Keep air moving if you're painting / vehicle running, etc. etc. and if you just want cool air to run through the garage open the far side window and this will keep air moving. I like it some much I installed one in my workshop as well.

BigBird likes this.
  16. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

We are doing a 60 x90 now. 2 14' roll ups for access by semi or toter, to atvs and tractors. Always go bigger.

sheepofblue and BigBird like this.
  17. VR45 Troll

A 15x15 tiled room with no windows, a floor drain, a stainless steel butchers bandsaw, a butcher block table, 20 piece butchers knife set, a sink, stainless shelves with bottles of bleach and dish soap, rubber gloves, rubber aprons, rubber boots and a garden hose with a spigot attachment in the wall for your friends in “The Family” to stop by when they have to finish a “job”.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  18. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

19. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

spray foam is only as good as its applicator...which there aren't many good ones.
    Then you will need an intumescent coating if there is any storage going on or a closed cell foam.
    Rockwool is fire resistant much more than spray foam.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  20. AC1108

AC1108 Well-Known Member

I didn’t realize it was used for anything other than insulating a boiler in a power plant.